Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New French Law

Thanks

Re: New French Law

I don't know about you, but I will not let any policeman or gendarme to put their hands on anything that is my property.
    I will show them the car's papers and any other documents they need, but they have no right to search the vehicle, without warrant of course.
    So, believe me, this law has no reason.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hekermeker For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I travelled to France in 2009 and drive 4 week (North to South) Highway and Country roads and I have not been stoped by any “Gendarme”. 20+ was OK

In Germany I was stoped on the Highway, because my car had French number plates with red numbers (For leased vehicle) and the Germans did not know about this type of number plates.
    They had very good English, polite at beginning, took all the papers in their car (Passport, registration etc). After approx 5-10 min they returned the papers (throw) with not one word …
    Without GPS would have been a different story and +$$ many

4. The Following User Says Thank You to toru_r11s For This Useful Post:

Thanks

french gendarme and policemen are not allowed to check the content of your GPS or car system. Only the custom can.
    so don't wory about the onboard software and speedcam data you can use. no one will check it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cavok For This Useful Post:

Enroute is offline Corporal
    Thanks

If you get caught

The above is corect but don't under estamate the French police,
    True they are not alowed to take the gps unit from the car without permission.
    Personly I would password lock the unit and swich off as soon as you are pulled over
    as its a big old 1500 euros fine around 2000 dollers (welcome to France)
    so would hate you to have your holiday money robbed from you,

Snippit from French / English site

RADAR WARNING DEVICES These have been banned in France since 28th November 2011. Drivers using radar detectors (speed camera detectors) are liable for a fine of 1500 Euros and 6 points off their license. This applies to specific radar warning devices, such as the Coyote, which must have their software updated to remain legal.
    With regard to TomToms and other GPS systems, which have speed camera locations programmed in to their software, the situation is confusing. These are not officially "radar detectors", but manufacturers are obliged to make new software available, and most will be doing so in early 2012. By summer 2012, Tomtoms and other GPS systems will be technically in breach of the law if they still have radars listed in their Points of Interest software; and even if it is not clear how roadside police can stop and check for offending software, rather than hardware, drivers are warned to err on the side of precaution and download the latest map software for France. This is advisable anyway, since older software is not up to date with regard to new routes, new speed restrictions, and other changes.
    For both existing radar warning devices and GPS devices, current radar information is being replaced with warnings to announce "danger zones", many of which will be areas with speed cameras.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Enroute For This Useful Post:

Thanks

First off, I have never been to France, so I know not what the gendarmes can, and cannot do. However, I doubt seriously if you can legally prohibit them from touching your property, assuming that you were stopped for a lawful reason. Let us try to remember that violations of law, no matter how trivial we may consider them, are, in fact, violations of law. The simplest solution, I would think, is to obey, to a reasonable degree, the speed limit, camera equipped GPS or no.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Penzphan For This Useful Post:

Enroute is offline Corporal
    Thanks

Just a quick update if someone is visiting France another new ruling is every car has to have an alcohol breathalyser test on board (normally disposable ones)
    They cost around 1€ > 2€ each, There are apparently no excuses for not carrying one, everyone here is asking what this will achieve, but this is the French political attitude to curing
    the bad drink driving record here.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enroute For This Useful Post:

niklos is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

Actually, the cops are not allow to check if your GPS has the camera detection or not ! So you are not allow to have it, but the are not allow to check if you have it !

14. The Following User Says Thank You to niklos For This Useful Post:

cunnind is offline Private
    Thanks

hi,
    Many sites here in France are offering the "legal" warning DB and the "illegal" version. My new car with built in GPS has the option to switch off the warnings if I get pulled iver, but as mentioned here the gendarmes are not allowed to enter your car nor check your GPS.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cunnind For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thumbs down Re: New French Law

Quote Originally Posted by Enroute View Post
    Just a quick update if someone is visiting France another new ruling is every car has to have an alcohol breathalyser test on board (normally disposable ones)
    They cost around 1€ > 2€ each, There are apparently no excuses for not carrying one, everyone here is asking what this will achieve, but this is the French political attitude to curing
    the bad drink driving record here.
    This is stupid what if you don't drink alcohol
    alex_tzardea likes this.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to satpaul For This Useful Post:

Onerous is offline Private
    Thanks

Does anyone know of any prosecutions?

Are the radar jammers also banned? As they are in this country.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onerous For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)