GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE

Thread: Stickies in TT Maps forum

jarkita is offline Captain
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,920 Times in 63 Posts

Question Stickies in TT Maps forum

Hi guys,
    I think making all maps as stickies is not a good idea. This makes forum hard to scroll ie you have to get through 3 (if you know) pages to get any non map link post ... In my opinion we should have stickies as: 1/ latest map comparison chart;
    2/ thread with linked forum posts (not map links) with map links inside;
    3/ ?? suggestons
    We all appreciate your work, and we still want to keep forum better

gpsu Guest

Re: Stickies in TT Maps forum

Quote Originally Posted by jarkita View Post
    Hi guys,
    I think making all maps as stickies is not a good idea. This makes forum hard to scroll ie you have to get through 3 (if you know) pages to get any non map link post ... In my opinion we should have stickies as: 1/ latest map comparison chart;
    2/ thread with linked forum posts (not map links) with map links inside;
    3/ ?? suggestons
    We all appreciate your work, and we still want to keep forum better

He Jarkita,

I appreciate your well-intention. This is my reply to you:

#1.1 TT map section is a section for maps, stickies are meant as a prioritization tool such that important things are on front page and less important thing are on subsequent page. Since map section is all about finding maps, then non-map links posts should be secondary to maps. Agree?

#1.2 From now onwards, maps should be categorised like a library starting with [country][version][file size][others] to ease members problem of search xxx maps on all over the threads. When threads grows, if our site does not have categorisation, then it will be as messy as last time where ex-GPSU had hundred of thousands of threads.

#1.3 For discussion that is not related to maps, shoudnt the threads be posted on TomTom General Discussion instead?

#2: A single thread is a tough job for admin/mod alike. Can you imagine that he will have to update thousands of maps, meta keys, update deadlinks etc. on a single post. The thread starter will start a thread when he cannot find the maps or he has a newer maps than what was on our site. Take TomTom Europe, with categorisation, members can have all TomTom Europe v845.xxxx standing side by side with each other. Isnt this the best experience for users?

#2.1: Why user post a thread "Help with finding TomTom Europe v845.xxxx" when the maps/meta are already posted previously? Because he couldnt find at his first glance. With the stickies, he could by scrolling the leading list of maps available sorted by countries.

#3: Lastly, gpsunderground is a reborn baby. We should adopt a open mind to make things better. As one member commented "dont be afraid to try what you couldnt in the previous site". So here we are trying a different style, a different way in the name of making GPSU a more cohesive and stronger community.

I maybe wrong at the end. But isnt this the best time to try something new that potentially benefit all members? Let us be open-minded and look back when we have time to see if what we had done now was for better or worse. God knows!?

GPSU