Thread: BMW X5 2006 (E53) - Help with latest Australian Map that can be used.

Salty_Dog is offline Private
    Thanks

BMW X5 2006 (E53) - Help with latest Australian Map that can be used.

Hey guys, dont want to be another gimmie gimmie, but i have spent the day searching around for an update for the old map DVD that is in my GF's X5.
    I know there are limitions with the computer used on the older E53 models (Non Idrive?), but i am wondering what is the best/lastest map i could expect to use for Australia.

Is there a Tutorial here for these maps or a graph showing what maps are compatible with what systems?
    Would it help if i go down to the car and post what software version is running on the computer and/or what system in the boot?
    From mind its a DVD GPS in the boot with a V.12 Nav disk in it.

I watched a youtube clip on the process, it didn't seem to mention what burn speed, but i guess lowest is best.
    then the process went as follows:

1. Open Drivers side door
    2. Goto Nav Computer and press eject
    3. Physically eject map disk in boot
    4. Switch ignition to position 1
    5. Insert new burnt disk with firmware and map, follow instructions on screen
    6. Wait 6 minutes until Nav asks you to eject disk and reboot
    7. Eject disk
    8. Confirm reboot

Hope i am going the right direction, as i really dont wish to brick my GF's Factory Nav System (as horrible as it is)

I see you can get a firmware image that has the "M" logo on splash screen and secret menu to give a perspective view to the map.

If there are any further improvements that would be great... But i understand i am stuck with pretty basic hardware.

Many Thanks

EDIT: Sorry, should this be posted in the Australia/New Zealand section? If so mods, pls feel free to move it so forum remains clean.
    Last edited by Salty_Dog; 29th January 2013 at 22:57.

Shonky is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

Re: BMW X5 2006 (E53) - Help with latest Australian Map that can be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty_Dog View Post
    Hey guys, dont want to be another gimmie gimmie, but i have spent the day searching around for an update for the old map DVD that is in my GF's X5.
    I know there are limitions with the computer used on the older E53 models (Non Idrive?), but i am wondering what is the best/lastest map i could expect to use for Australia.

Is there a Tutorial here for these maps or a graph showing what maps are compatible with what systems?
    Would it help if i go down to the car and post what software version is running on the computer and/or what system in the boot?
    From mind its a DVD GPS in the boot with a V.12 Nav disk in it.

I watched a youtube clip on the process, it didn't seem to mention what burn speed, but i guess lowest is best.
    then the process went as follows:

1. Open Drivers side door
    2. Goto Nav Computer and press eject
    3. Physically eject map disk in boot
    4. Switch ignition to position 1
    5. Insert new burnt disk with firmware and map, follow instructions on screen
    6. Wait 6 minutes until Nav asks you to eject disk and reboot
    7. Eject disk
    8. Confirm reboot

Hope i am going the right direction, as i really dont wish to brick my GF's Factory Nav System (as horrible as it is)

I see you can get a firmware image that has the "M" logo on splash screen and secret menu to give a perspective view to the map.

If there are any further improvements that would be great... But i understand i am stuck with pretty basic hardware.

Many Thanks

EDIT: Sorry, should this be posted in the Australia/New Zealand section? If so mods, pls feel free to move it so forum remains clean.
    I think you've figured this out now but you are looking for BMW High or "red" maps. Updating the firmware is different to the maps and is a separate disc. The firmware is actually loaded into the device. The maps always live on the CD/DVD and run from there.