Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NX501

Thanks

NX501

Is it possible to change the US maps of unit NX501 to European maps? I see that the navigation software is iGO....that should be possible is that right? ...how to do that?

Thanks

Re: NX501

I'm in the same situation.

I have a Clarion Nx501 and i'd like to install the european maps.

Is this possible?
    Can someone help us?

thanks

martinx is offline Private
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: NX501

I ordered mine today, so I have only theoretical knowledge...

You have mSD slot on front side. Take a new card or save original card somewhere, then put the European iGO on card.

Check software and map version before you are going to download Euro version.

Thanks

Has anyone done this? I am considering buying a US NX501 for use in Australia but don't want to order it unless I know I can install another regions maps.

There seems to be a few posts around that suggest it is possible but no guides that I can find.

Thanks

As far as I can tell you just download the maps from Navie extras site, via Clarion Website. If its the same as Igo maps then you'd probably be able to do as mentioned previously.

In a similar vein - does anyone know if its possible to install /use UK ordnance survey maps on this type of unit. I'm guessing its based on a windows ce system so memory Map software and maps should theoretically should work (as there is a ce version that I have on an old HP handheld) just that I don't have any idea how to hack into the unit to install extra software, its most likely possible as they do occasionally have an update to install from Clarion site which appears to be loaded from a blank sd card.

Any bright sparks got any ideas that work? be pleased to hear it as that would make this a perfect unit for me.

Ta

DJ

grlove is offline Private
    Thanks

Be extremely careful if you plan to mess with the files on the original SD Card. NEVER let scan disc scan and fix the card, it will destroy it. Why? Because there is a hidden partition that contains a file that is required to make the navigation system work and scan disc will delete it. If you screw up the card you will need to buy a new one for about $90.00 from Clarion US or Clarion Canada. Remember, gold pins up, label down when putting the card back into the NX501. If you don't mind paying around $120 for Australia maps, and $50-120 for others, then use the NaviExtras toolbox to purchase the maps you need for ANY region. You may need to manage the maps and "move" the US/CAN maps to your home computer's hard drive to make room for the new maps you want. If you want to use a "generic" version of iGO Primo you will lose some functionality as it is incorporated into the main "navigation.exe" file. Make sure you check Clarion's website periodically for updates to this unit, they are released periodically. NaviExtras also release updates to the iGO Primo software with Clarion modules. The current update allows the voice navigation and current "music" to be "mixed" rather than "audio mute" while navigation instructions are spoken. Nice to have the music volume lowered and still play in the background while the navigation "voice over" gives instructions.

Thanks

There is no "hidden" partition, that's bulshit ! You can backup whole content and then again put back on same SD, no problems ! Using modified version of IGO Primo for Clarion, no problems with updating newest maps 2011.Q4 Navteq Europe, USA, Australia, etc. , or TT, and no losing any functionalities !

martinx is offline Private
    Thanks

I tried to make a backup of original card (restore on another card), just to prevent day-to-day usage of original card, but I was not successful. Something is hidden in card's fat table (or somewhere around).

Another problem (not GPS related) is handling of back camera. When I put in reverse, NX501 do not switch automatically to camera mode, but I have to switch manually. Camera is off if gearbox is not put in reverse, so physical installation is probably ok.
    Martin to Zagreb, Martin from Zagreb.

Thanks

Like i told you, no problems with using backuped content on another sd card, cause it's same release on all Calrion SD cards, same licenses. With modified version you can use even newest maps, i can't put it in public, if somebody needs it, contact me via PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grlove View Post
    Be extremely careful if you plan to mess with the files on the original SD Card. NEVER let scan disc scan and fix the card, it will destroy it. Why? Because there is a hidden partition that contains a file that is required to make the navigation system work and scan disc will delete it. If you screw up the card you will need to buy a new one for about $90.00 from Clarion US or Clarion Canada. Remember, gold pins up, label down when putting the card back into the NX501. If you don't mind paying around $120 for Australia maps, and $50-120 for others, then use the NaviExtras toolbox to purchase the maps you need for ANY region. You may need to manage the maps and "move" the US/CAN maps to your home computer's hard drive to make room for the new maps you want. If you want to use a "generic" version of iGO Primo you will lose some functionality as it is incorporated into the main "navigation.exe" file. Make sure you check Clarion's website periodically for updates to this unit, they are released periodically. NaviExtras also release updates to the iGO Primo software with Clarion modules. The current update allows the voice navigation and current "music" to be "mixed" rather than "audio mute" while navigation instructions are spoken. Nice to have the music volume lowered and still play in the background while the navigation "voice over" gives instructions.
    Interesting comments. I hav a Clarion NX302A which i cannot copy the contents of the card to anotehr card, something to do with the CID that they use. I am keen to use a version that I had on an older GPS but am unagle to get to run. The comment in this post indicates that there will be a loss of functionality if one goes with a ' generic' version. Can you ellaborate as to what functionality is in fact lost?

Cheers

Rainsey

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast