Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By BossHog

Thread: Demand for Usenet manual?

BossHog is offline Second Lieutenant
    Thanks

Smile Demand for Usenet manual?

Here is a manual how-to download from Usenet.
    Its a simple explanation how to download and what problems may occur.
    I’ll try to explain as simple as possible to get you downloading as fast as possible. I assume it will take you 20 minutes.
    I’ll explain the configuration I use. There are other programs, but I’ll stick to one setup. Let’s go…

This is what you want ain’t it ?:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well, the actual file you see as .cdr was located somewhere at Usenet. Usenet are public servers somewhere somehow, no need to get deeper into that. The .cdr was uploaded by someone. We need to get that file don’t we . We get to that file via a link ore just search it via Google. Links here at GPSU are like this:

Just click it/copy paste in your browser and you’ll get at Binsearch. You see in the link its located somewhere via a browser thrue the site " Binsearch ".
    Its an open platform site, and has no ads. Other sites alike are available. First mark Binsearch in your browser. U can also the link as provided here at GPSU, or you can go to Binsearch and fill in an search query like “Jaguar “ and press enter.

In both cases you’ll see something like the pic above. These are files on Usenet. When you,ve installed the sw like in this thread, you'll be able to download them. Files ( mostly “rar” files ) posted on Usenet are sometimes not complete. In that case some of the 3434 parts are missing. When that’s the case the number in front of 3434 are colored red, indicating repair is necessary. There for also always select repairfiles. Repair files are mostly indicated as “par.2” files. I always select the par.2 files, besides the actual file I want to download, just to be sure of a successful download. So I advise you to do so even so. Always be sure files are posted by the same poster. Sometimes .rar and .par2 files are already together in one collection, it depends on the poster way of posting. If you are not sure how the file you seach is exactly named, try searching with at least possible words possible. So “jaguar 2012” instead of “jaguar xj dvd west eu 2011/2012”.

**be sure you’re selected file is reasonable qua size, a whole EU DVD for your satnav shouldn’t be 670kb in size. Viruses are posted at Usenet with seemingly correct names, but you can detect them on their size then (small) or in “collections” when the collection says “1 other file” or “2bashyourpc.exe”. Also clicking on the posters name will reveal you its true goal/some post history.
    If you selected the files you want, select “Create NZB”. This makes a file which contains the location, size, age etcetera, and save it on your desktop or so.
    You need that file. Without that file (a "NZB"), you wont be able to download the actual files.

Now we need to download the files on Usenet via the nzb with a other program.
    I like to use Sabnzbd for this. Sabnzbd is found here: ”Sab” is also an open platform program. Other programs are available, but Sab is simple and fully automatic. Install this program on your pc.
    Select "relate Sabnzbd with NZB's" in the installation. This will automaticly load an nzb directly in SAB when you download an NZB.
    Start this program, by using the quicklaunch icon in the startmenu or the icon on your desktop.

Most important: the server details! Only the correct input of these details will provide you with a working download:
    The only thing you must/cannot forget, is to fill in the “news server aka server aka server details”.
    News servers are required to download from Usenet. You can get a free one (very rare) or a paid one (most) .
    An example of a free one isOther free ones are found here: You can also take a paid subscribtion with a Premium newsreader, download your files and directly after that cancel the that subscribtion.
    This for most Premium newsreaders have a try-for-one-week-for-free.
    The cheapest (Dutch) Premium newsreader I have found is this one:
    As you can see they have a one week trial.
    Another one is Easyusenet:
    Or this one (several languages-Paypal and a free tour)
    Or one with a 1 day acces for just a few €:
    You need to fill in SAB, the details of these news servers like “address” aka “host” , “port” and with some “name” and “password”:

Host: your newsreader address
    Port: found/given by your news servers
    Username: given by newsreader/left blank with some free accounts
    Password: given by newsreader/left blank with some free accounts
    Connections: given by news servers. Most of the free newsreaders have 1 connection (connections=treads)
    Retention time: sometimes given by news servers but if not: fill in 500 or so.
    Save details filled in and test your connection. If connection has failed, be sure you've made no type-errors.
    Usually accounts work instantly.
    Save Sabnzbd in your browser.

Now everything is setup to download from Usenet, go back to your saved nzb-file and open it with Sabnzbd.
    You can open Sab via your browser or via Sabnzbd.exe (sometimes browsers like Chrome dont startup Sab in first instance)
    After startup click "add nzb" (upper right) so it loads in Sab. You also can double click on a nzb (then it will load automaticly in SAB).

The nzb-file is opened and its gives Sab the details where the Jaguar files is located, size etc. on Usenet. You see the progress above the arrow. Sabnzbd will automatically convert the RAR-files into its original extension like .CDR or .ISO . You can set the download folder as you specify, if you can’t find it go to “config”. The tipical waiting and watching out for the also irritating captha will not be an issue in this way of downloading. You can visit your mother in law without worries, Sabnzbd will download in one straight line.

Once downloaded, SAB places the file in the list “History”. If parts of the file are missing, it will automatically repair it and such will be shown. If repair is unsuccessful, the option “again” is shown. Clicking on it reveals the option to ,again, put in an additional nzb with repair files. You can create a repair-nzb as done before, by just selecting the ”.par2” file on Binsearch.
    Sometimes files are posted a long time ago, that’s when a paid server comes out handy. Its “retention” of days (mostly 500+ days) will solve this error: “Parts posted out of server time” or "files are out of servers retention". Most free servers have a retention of 25-30 days, so advice is to check asap with Sabnzbd if the file is downloadable for you. I have a news server (aka newsreader) for $5/month, 650KB/s and 600 days retention, cheaper is possible, but its like a car: once you have one it’s gives you hardly any reason to swap. Speeds upto 50mbps are no exception.

*I just wanted to give you a clou how to download with these programs, maybe others have useful additional info.
    *Most errors occur due to wrong input of the serverdetails or "out of retention" errors.
    I had several PM's wich all came with questions about the Retention error. Out of retention means in plain text, the time a server can look in the past for files. If you get the error "out of retention", it says "these files are to old to download with the serverdetails you've entered".
    Simply exchange the serverdetails for details wich has a longer retention. Payed serversdetails have a retention of >700 days. This suits 99.999%. Free newsservers only have a retention of just a few weeks. So if a file was uploaded 2 years ago, you need serverdetails wich have a retention of at least (2X365) 730 days. In the Jaguar query in Binsearch, above in this thread, you can see the files are 19Hours old when i made this thread (26-02-2012).
    *questions? Contact me!
    *liked it or succesfully downed your software? Press the * below this post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Demand for Usenet manual?-resulth.png   Demand for Usenet manual?-link.png   Demand for Usenet manual?-search-query.jpg   Demand for Usenet manual?-serverdetails-sab.png   Demand for Usenet manual?-downloadprogress.jpg  

Last edited by BossHog; 18th April 2013 at 17:42. Reason: More about retention errors added
    You wanna do whát with that screwdriver?

Read this thread for a quick usenet-reader-setup: http://gpsunderground.com/forum/feed...et-manual.html
    Look in my profile for more usenet-info: http://gpsunderground.com/forum/member.php?u=301179
    PM possible in English-Deutsch-Nederlands: http://gpsunderground.com/forum/priv...newpm&u=301179
    High quality gps antennas: http://gps-antenne.nl/ (GPSU members get 20% discount use code GPSU at checkout)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BossHog For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Demand for Usenet manual?

Great job man ! You'll help many people here with your great tutorial ! Congratulations !

I use usenet long time ago, at least 6-7 years, and used different usenet clients, but for me Grabit is no.1, however, everbody can decide by hiself what will use...
    Last edited by nosferanosferatuno; 12th June 2012 at 23:22.

Thanks

Tank joe ferrie mutsj. lol.
    If yoe hav annie suggestions wich part maybe explained in other words, just say it.
    Having looked arround here for some months now, its feeding me the oppinion that some users try to format and interprid words in other ways than lets say...normal.
    So if any of you user would like to see an difference in speaking terms in the turtorial, please let me know. Jashemash. I like!

Borat.
    Last edited by BossHog; 12th June 2012 at 23:36. Reason: Edditing of not goot german in first sentance.

Read this thread for a quick usenet-reader-setup: http://gpsunderground.com/forum/feed...et-manual.html
    Look in my profile for more usenet-info: http://gpsunderground.com/forum/member.php?u=301179
    PM possible in English-Deutsch-Nederlands: http://gpsunderground.com/forum/priv...newpm&u=301179
    High quality gps antennas: http://gps-antenne.nl/ (GPSU members get 20% discount use code GPSU at checkout)

Thanks

Whos is joe ferrie ?

Your explanation is great, i think you covered all important parts and gave people all directions for searching more info ! No, your terms are right, and appropriate for usenet using , don't warry !

Maybe i can add just some aditional info, sometimes port 443 which is for SSL NNTP connection is slower, in that case, you can use alternate SSL port 563 for NNTP, for usenet servers which use SSL connection.

Jashemash, i like Borat too , and new one Dictator, i'll go soon to watch in cinema

Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Demand for Usenet manual?

After recieving noumerous helprequests deu to errors wich occured during downloading from usenet,
    i strongly recomment the following premium newsserver:
    *Notice
    I do not get paid by this newsserver nor do i get in any way some benefit by posting this advice.
    I only suggest this company due to many PM i recieved all caused by
    -the retention of other premium newsreaders (error " repair impossible, shortage of repairblocks")
    -no completed downloads (error "CRC error, try again")
    -could not unpack (error "CRC error")

I also suggest to use only the following newsreader:
    These sollotions combined will provide a 99.9% succesfull download.
    If you wanna download from usenet for the first time or if you're not common with it, do not be stubborn and take this advice.

bokludogan is offline Corporal
    Thanks

thaannk
    Last edited by bjjfc; 10th May 2013 at 02:56. Reason: remove qoute