Map conversion to turn by turn navigation map

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map conversion to turn by turn navigation map

I wish to create from an existing map, a map suitable for use with navigation software which will give turn by turn navigation.

The map is of an Island which will never be mapped by Google or any other commercial company.

I am will be able to obtain an electronic map, the company which owns the site has a department which deals with electronic maps in various formats.

Only roads and loactions will be required for the navigation, no terrain mapping is required (see attached (I hope) typical map, I would need to go from A to G, then G to B for example), although if it can be included with no major issues (i.e. slowing down the program while dealing with large amounts of data)

The hardware which will be used is either:

Toughbook CF-18 running Windows XP or Linux (Ubuntu 10.10), the Toughbook has built in GPS.

This has been used this already for offroad mapping (raster only, no turn by turn) using Oziexplorer software.

or

Samsung Galaxy S3 running Android 4.3 (Jellybean) built in GPS.

This has been used this for this for on road turn by turn navigation using Navigon software.

My questions are:

What are the choices of map format that I can convert, and which is best and /or easiest, what formats should I obtain?

What software should I use for conversion? (I looked at mapwel but I'm not sure if this is the best option) I'm happy if the software is command line only (no gui)

Which hardware is best for this application? (Android is preferred, then Toughbook, then both)

What is the best software to use for my application? I will purchase software if the software that I have isn't suitable.

I would like to be able to select my destination from a list, then have the device give me turn by turn navigation instructions.

Thanks in advance

Moderators pleas move this post to the right forum if it's in the wrong place.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AlanBarn; 4th September 2014, 23:17.
Working...
X