GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TomTom user has few questions Garmin

Thanks

TomTom user has few questions Garmin

Hello all,
    I am a long time TomTom user planning to buy a Garmin device. I have a few questions regarding Garmin before i take the leap.

1. TomTom software called Navcore can be upgraded from irrespective of the hardware. Is there something like this in Garmin.
    2. TomTom guys usually maintain lists of what maps can be installed on what Navcores. I didnt see any list for Garmin, does it mean any map can be installed on any device.
    3. TomTom usually release maps few times an year (latest version being 860). Are Garmin Maps available likewise?

What garmin device would you recommend which has MicroSD, bluetooth and mp3 player support?

Thanks

wp3gi is offline Corporal
    Thanks

Re: TomTom user has few questions Garmin

Garmin has two different mapping software packages where you can view, edit and play with your maps, routes, and POIs: (1) MapSource (2) BaseCamp. They also have WebUpdater that updates your unit's firmware. They're both available for PC and Mac.

The City Navigator NT series maps can be installed on any nüvi® model as long as you have enough free space on the unit; otherwise, you would have to use a separate card. There are no charts, it's that simple. Welcome to Garmin!

The nüvi® 295 has both a microSD™ card and an MP3 Player.
    Last edited by wp3gi; 30th December 2010 at 02:14.

Thanks

Thank you for answering my questions. It seems that Garmins UI doesnt change very much between model unlike TomTom Navcore.

I will probably skip 295, since it seems to not have Bluetooth and Lane assist functionalities. It is good to see that Garmin devices have Microsd unlike TomToms flagship 1000x devices.

I am slightly confused with the different types of Maps available for Garmin. Are the City Navigator maps a direct equivalent of TomTom maps (for on the road maps)?

klaus666 is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

Hi!

Yes, the City Navigator is the "normal" map for onroad navigation.

Take a look here: There you can see the Europe Version.

The Topo Maps are interessting for offroad, walking, biking ect.

And there are some maps from other companys than Garmin. The AdriaRoute for example for former Yugoslavia.

The Software: from time to time Garmin release a new firmware. Sometimes you have some new features, but most time it is "just" to correct some bugs.
    It is not like WinWord97, Winword200, Winword 2003 ect. where you get dozens of new features wich every new version.

Yes, you can install every map on a current Nüvi.

best regards,

klaus
    Last edited by klaus666; 30th December 2010 at 00:09.

giuseppe66 is offline Staff Sergeant
    Thanks

i've use TomTom and Garmin so i prefered Garmin because:
    - it's more simple update the maps because there is not problem of navcore:
    - you cand find maps of every parts of world;
    - garmin is fine:
    - a good garmin gps and cheep is 765T (name for european users). Have not microsd reader but only SD but you can buy an adapter (very cheep). Has everything and
    also 3D building view and lane assistant view;
    - another new garmin device is 3790T but eurpean and USA device has not mp3 option. Only 3790T for asian users has also mp3, but it's very nice and with more options

Bye

Thanks

Post Re: TomTom user has few questions Garmin

If you want to save some dollars, try one of these slightly older versions of Garmin. I believe all these models have 4.3" screens, SD Card slot for maps and media expansion, an MP3 player, and most have a JPEG picture viewer as well. Many also include an audio book reader, world-wide currency converter, and calculator. Higher end models have Lane Guidance, Bluetooth, and FM transmitter for playing through the radio. I'm speaking of the 700-800 series Garmin units, with some now discontinued, but easily upgradable.

Here are most of the models: 755T, 760, 765T, 770, 775T, 780, 785T, 850, 855T, 860, 880, and 885T. The designation "T" stands for "Traffic" receiver, usually located in the included (GTM20) power cord with built-in FM traffic receiver, antenna, as well as power supply from the cigarette lighter or other 12-volt power. Most of these "T" models will have a "Lifetime Traffic" subscription also. The traffic receiver assembly can also be added to most of the other models without the T suffix on the model number.

Models 785T, 850, 855, 880, and 885T (885T also has built-in stereo speakers) have what I call "VAN" which is Voice Assisted Navigation. This means you can perform most of the addressing input information by pressing a button (usually mounted on the steering wheel) and speaking directions into the GPS unit's microphone. This is a really nice safety feature! Entering input in a gps while in motion, is probably almost as dangerous as texting in motion...which I definitely don't engage in.

This is not a definitive guide for all these models, but it should give you some insight into the variety of features incorporated into these units. Check the Garmin website as well as some of the review sites, and you should be informed enough to get the model with the best feature/cost ratio. Of course there are many newer models also. Thanks for listening...Bill

reegster is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

Good suggestion challanger my friend I have used both and for me Garmin wins handsdown

Thanks

OT
    my friend own a tomtom gps unit but his software is garmin maps!
    how can do that,any body how to convert tomtom to garmin?
    pls. help me.
    thanks

Trial_Master is offline Private
    Thanks

I’m still working on the unlocking method or even how to use the UnLocked versions (they don’t appear in MapSource)?
    But my question is what are the additional files available for eg. Image, Junction View and how do they get combined with the MapSource map?
    I’m sure these are easy to unlock and update compared to TomTom but I’m struggling to figure out the logic personally.

farq11 is offline Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by giuseppe66 View Post
    i've use TomTom and Garmin so i prefered Garmin because:
    - it's more simple update the maps because there is not problem of navcore:
    - you cand find maps of every parts of world;
    - garmin is fine:
    - a good garmin gps and cheep is 765T (name for european users). Have not microsd reader but only SD but you can buy an adapter (very cheep). Has everything and
    also 3D building view and lane assistant view;
    - another new garmin device is 3790T but eurpean and USA device has not mp3 option. Only 3790T for asian users has also mp3, but it's very nice and with more options
    And the reason to use a TomTom Over Garmin is....

- The maps are more accurate. (Definately in Australia Anyway especially rural areas)
    - The Safety Cams are more Accurate and more frequently updated
    - The "Junction View" is already integrated if you have the compatible device and maps
    - It takes about the same amount of time or shorter to "crack" the tomtom maps
    - Guaranteed 4 maps a year and they are easier to find for download
    - 2nd hand TomToms are generally cheaper on ebay accross the board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast