Thanks

Re: etrex 10/20/30

Thanks for this post steep !

Thanks

Re: etrex 10/20/30, Montana 600/650/650t (need) GarminDevice.xml

Thanks for the post

Thanks

A few Questions

OK I have searched a investigated this but still have a few questions.
    I am looking a taking up Geocaching and have been looking at purchasing a eTrex 20 handheld GPS system.

1) Can the maps be downloaded from the database here and then loaded onto this unit.
    2) Are the maps "unlocked" so that you don't have to pay the $199 that Garmin ask for.

I have in the past updated my TomTom, so I am assuming this is a similar process.
    Thanks in advance

Rook is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

Re: A few Questions

Quote Originally Posted by freakydeakie View Post
    OK I have searched a investigated this but still have a few questions.
    I am looking a taking up Geocaching and have been looking at purchasing a eTrex 20 handheld GPS system.

1) Can the maps be downloaded from the database here and then loaded onto this unit.
    2) Are the maps "unlocked" so that you don't have to pay the $199 that Garmin ask for.

I have in the past updated my TomTom, so I am assuming this is a similar process.
    Thanks in advance

FD - I've run the unlocked CN NA 2013.10 on my eTrex Vista with no problem. As a fellow 'cacher, I switched to a topo 24K map for my general region. When I got a used eTrex 20, yesterday, I moved the SD card from the Vista and the topo map worked fine.

While the 20 does have ~83MB of available internal memory (w/ firmware v3.0), you may want to put your a map on an SD card to save the internal space for cache data, waypoints, routes, etc. Also, keep in mind that huge map files will extend the power-up boot time, so try to keep the map to a reasonably-sized area.

Incidentally, I'm presently torn between my Vista HCx and my new 20 due to the differences in handling cache data. On the Vista, cache waypoints can be created/modified/deleted directly but BaseCamp treats the Vista's data as read-only, while the 20 requires a computer for creation/deletion and cache data can't be modified either directly or via computer. It's as though Garmin has taken caches from the user's control in an effort to establish ownership rights. But that's a different rant.

Thanks

Re: A few Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    <snip>

Incidentally, I'm presently torn between my Vista HCx and my new 20 due to the differences in handling cache data. On the Vista, cache waypoints can be created/modified/deleted directly but BaseCamp treats the Vista's data as read-only, while the 20 requires a computer for creation/deletion and cache data can't be modified either directly or via computer. It's as though Garmin has taken caches from the user's control in an effort to establish ownership rights. But that's a different rant.
    fwiw, freaky, I'm warming up to the 20, I think. While it handles cache data somewhat differently, I may be able to adjust. When porting cache info from my Vista, BaseCamp produces waypoints (not caches) on the 20; hence, I may have to re-download all of the caches from GC, and I don't have a subscription to speed that effort. This is my largest hurdle to fully adopting the 20.

Also, while geocaches cannot be hand-entered or modified via the buttons (handy for puzzle caches and multi-stages), generic waypoints *can* be entered directly. I can use different/custom icons for these items to help with the bookkeeping, so this isn't a dealbreaker.

Overall, it's likely that, had I not gotten used to the Vista but started with the 20, instead, I'd be very happy with it.

Thanks

Re: eTrex 10/20/30

I find I'm in need of the original demo.jnx for the eTrex 20. I tried reinstalling the v3.0 firmware over itself, but the file did not get recreated. Also tried a master reset, but no file. Might someone upload it to a file-sharing site or email it to me or tell me how/where to get it from Garmin? TIA

UPDATE: got it! so, no longer needed.
    Last edited by Rook; 22nd July 2013 at 00:46.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)