Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: nüvi 30/40/40LM/50/50LM

Tiger is online now Lieutenant Colonel
    Thanks

Re: New Nuvi 50 purchased in USA. Can I install Europe maps?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHuson View Post
    Hi, I purcased this device a week ago on holiday in Florida in the belief that I could install Euro or at least UK maps. When I look at the device files I can not
    see any reference to a map file to put new maps in. I have tried to research this but did not understand the topics even though I have
    installed Tomtom maps previously on cheap chinese devices.
    Have I wasted my money?
    Any advice on how I can install the 'ing' (I think you mean "IMG") maps I have found would be appreciated. Thanks.
    You haven't wasted any money.

In your device the maps are probably in a hidden folder named ".system" and if you change your windows setting you will see them. Your pre installed maps are named gmapprom.img (all garming maps have the ".IMG" extension.

Your 50 has limited memory you can do several things... Let's say you have downloaded a UK&ROI map. It's probably named "gmapsupp.img" and you can rename that file as required.

1. if you want to replace your pre-installed maps, rename the gmapsupp.img to gmapprom.img and replace the existing file in the 50.
    x:\.system\gmapprom.img (that would essentially be a map update)

2. if you want to put that UK&ROI map inside the GPS and have room (this would be an additional/supplemental) map
    - Rename gmapsupp.img to "UK and ROI.img" (or any name you'd like to use but it must use the .IMG extension)
    - create a folder in the root of your GPS named "Map" with a capital "M"
    - copy the map to the Map folder pf the GPS as
    x:\Map\UK and ROI.img (or whatever you have named it)

3. if you want to put it on an SD or micro-SD it's like you did in step 2 but on the data card
    - Rename gmapsupp.img to "UK and Ireland.img" (or any name you like but use the .IMG extension)
    - create a folder in the root of your SD named "Map" with a capital "M"
    - copy the map to the Map folder on SD as
    x:\Map\UK and ROI.img (or whatever you have named it)

Once you've done that the GPS should see it and it will show up on your map select screen for use.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:

JohnHuson is offline Corporal
    Thanks

Re: nüvi 30/40/40LM/50/50LM

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply in such detail. much appreciated. Will try to do what you suggested today. I will come back to you.
    Cheers, John.

JohnHuson is offline Corporal
    Thanks

Could not make it work in any of the ways suggested. The Nuvi 50 has no maps to view. When looking at the files on the system there is nothing
    to show for .img files in any of the folders. I have drilled down in all the folders and found nothing regarding maps. Not sure what to do next?
    Thanks for your help though.

Tiger is online now Lieutenant Colonel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHuson View Post
    Could not make it work in any of the ways suggested. The Nuvi 50 has no maps to view. When looking at the files on the system there is nothing
    to show for .img files in any of the folders. I have drilled down in all the folders and found nothing regarding maps. Not sure what to do next?
    Thanks for your help though.
    It does have lots of stuff... you must be doing something wrong. Perhaps not going into mass storage mode or not viewing hidden files and folsers from the PC. Take a look at this post and look through the tutorials.

I can't give you any other advice as I don't have a Nuvi 50 to play with. Don't give up.

You can always put multiple maps in a "Map" folder on an SD/MicroSD and leave the GPS alone.

nüvi 30/40/40LM/50/50LM

Thanks

Re: City Navigator North America NT 2013.30

I know its off topic but can anyone tell me if its possible to change the dashboard or even relocate it on the Nuvi 50? There has to be some hack to do this. I've seen other garmins that the dashboard was down on the bottom of the screen instead of taking up 1/4th of the screen on the right.
    fatamorgana likes this.

Thanks

Re: City Navigator North America NT 2013.30

No one has any love for the Nuvi 50? Come on someone has to know how to do some kind of hack to the dashboard layout.

Thanks

help needed for installation of australian map on nuvi 40 garmin device

I have original australian map gmapsupp I have tried on numerous occasion to install the map onto the root of garmin on my device it is not showing up on my nuvi 40 device, I have a basemap 5.01 worldwide autoroute demo but would like to step by step what program can help successfully install the australian map the map is on sd card would appreciate how can get the map to work and read on my garmin nuvi 40 device, inside my garmin directory I already have gmap3d,gmapbmap,gmapprom including the map I want it to read gmapsupp, would like some advice how the gmapsupp can be read by nuvi 40 device, also everytime i open the nuvi 40 I get a message map data is not available would like to find out how to properly install map onto device.
    thankyou
    Last edited by lanky69; 22nd January 2013 at 21:21.

Thanks

Re: help needed for installation of australian map on nuvi 40 garmin device

Under the well established KISS principle - leave the files in hidden Nuvi 40 directory ".system" alone. To accommodate the additional Australian map on the Nuvi you will have to:

(1) create a new directory called "Map" in the Root Directory of the Nuvi 40

(2) Rename the Australian map you have from "gmapsupp" to "Australia 2013.30" - presuming that it is the latest Australian map release.

(3) Check that the renamed "Australia 2013.30" is unlocked. To unlock use Fast IMG Unlocker 2.1. If you want to keep it locked you will need to generate a supplementary UNL file with the name "Australia 2013.30.unl". Earlier posts in the Forum will explain what is required to create the UNL file. However, the KISS principle suggests the unlocked file is the better way to go.

(4) Put the renamed "Australia 2013" image file map into the the new "Map" directory. If you are staying with the locked version of map you will need to place the the UNL file created in (3) above also into the "Map" directory.

I have a Nuvi 50 on which the process described above works perfectly.
    Tiger likes this.

dragonmas is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

Lost .img

Downloaded new map to my device(nuvi40lm) and computer but cannot find the gmapp.img.I was sure I did this before and found the .img.Has anything changed?

janch is offline Lieutenant
    Thanks

Re: Lost .img

The most important files on the new Nuvis are in folder called .System. This is a hidden folder so you will need to go to Folder Options in Windows and select the View tab.
    From the View Tab select to Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives and also uncheck Hide protected operating system files (recommended). You should then be able to see the .system folder.

Last edited by janch; 1st February 2013 at 05:28.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast