GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nüvi 500

Thanks

nüvi 500

I do not know if i am posting in the right forum, if so let me know and i'll do what is appropriate.

The question is, at this point in GPS development is spending $190 on nuvi 500 worth it, or tecnology is dated and i need to look for something else....

Thanks

Tiger is offline Colonel
    Thanks

re: nüvi 500

Quote Originally Posted by vtv010 View Post
    I do not know if i am posting in the right forum, if so let me know and i'll do what is appropriate.

The question is, at this point in GPS development is spending $190 on nuvi 500 worth it, or tecnology is dated and i need to look for something else....

Thanks
    This is the right place for your question. It is a very subjective question though. I don't think that's a bad price for a 500. The unit is still current and it really comes down to wether or not it has the features that meet YOUR needs.

From my own point of view I think it's a very nice unit and considered buying one at one point. I did not get it only because It was not available in a wide screen model which I really wanted (ended up with a couple 750's which met my needs well). What I really liked about the 500 though...
    - waterproof, boat and motorcyle friendly (very rare in a nuvi)
    - is supports marine charts as well as road maps and topo (very rare in a nuvi)
    - it allows you to save routes (very rare in a nuvi, a must have for me)
    - it will sort/optimize multiple destination routes (very rare in a nuvi, a must have for me)
    - it is FM traffic receiver compatable (nice if you want to add a traffic receiver, which I did)
    - long battery life (not a big deal for me, I mostly use it driving)
    - has text to speach for announcing street name (many nuvis still don't support this)
    - has where am I functon (more useful that you might think)

If your primarily using it only in a car, it lacks some features that other automotive nuvie might offer
    - wide screen (important to me)
    - lane assist (don't care)
    - 3D buildings (don't care)
    - FM transmitter (dont' care)
    - bluetooth (don't care)
    - keyboard qwerty mode (don't care)
    - eco route (junk)
    - MP3 player (don't care)
    - bluetooth (don't care)

I wouldn't hesitate to get a 500 if it meet your needs (especially for boating, motorcyle, or hiking as well as automotive use) It's pretty versatile. I don't know about current prices, I haven't shopped for one in quite a while but it has a lot to offer for under $200. There are reviews out there if you google it.

Maybe someone that owns a 500 will post a reply that's more useful to you.

Good luck shopping!
    Last edited by Tiger; 3rd June 2010 at 02:25.

Thanks

Tiger,
    Thank you very much for a compehansive reply... I do have a boat and having an ability to use GPS on the lake for fishing would be great... Do not have the lake map yet though... I am in texas. Additional advantage i see is user replaceable battery. I used my brothers igo based (4yr old) unit, and the battery did not hold more than 30 min - that was a lot of city walking on vacation in italy....

few follow up q, if you do not mind:
    - what is the reason wide display is so important
    - are there any other units that have similar abilities but wide screen? I am nt attached to Garmin just yet, do not have any inventory of maps, accessories
    - i think line assist would be nice, as i got lost a few times in Italy even with GPS by missing a turn while driving in italy

Tiger is offline Colonel
    Thanks

Tiger,
    Thank you very much for a compehansive reply... I do have a boat and having an ability to use GPS on the lake for fishing would be great... Do not have the lake map yet though... I am in texas. Additional advantage i see is user replaceable battery. I used my brothers igo based (4yr old) unit, and the battery did not hold more than 30 min - that was a lot of city walking on vacation in italy....

few follow up q, if you do not mind:
    - what is the reason wide display is so important
    - are there any other units that have similar abilities but wide screen? I am nt attached to Garmin just yet, do not have any inventory of maps, accessories
    - i think line assist would be nice, as i got lost a few times in Italy even with GPS by missing a turn while driving in italy
    That wide screen thing was just a personal preference only. I've used both and just find the 4.3" more asthetically pleasing. I like to use maps in "2D north up" mode (like paper maps) so as I travel I can see what's around me in terms of roads. The wider screen just gives a little more screen real estate which gives more of a view. The 4.3" is a still convenient size and still fits in my pocket while walking. The wider screens also have room for more text when you are doing searches, using the keyboard for input, or the mp3 player. Overall, Garmin is pretty efficient with screen real estate useage regardless of the size you go with.

Don't get me wrong, lane assist is a nice feature but I've been a GPS for many years it's lack has never bothered me. If I miss a turn, my gps will get me back on track ASAP. Lane Assist and thos other features I mentioned are simply low on my "want list" when I'm considering features. Again, shopping for these things is pretty darn subjective and garmin is pretty inconsisent with features across models.

My observation is that a lot of new GPS buyers seem to shop entirely based on price and are disappointed that their new GPS is not what they expected.

I'm pretty sure (but could be wrong) that the 5xx series is the only Nuvi that will correctly display charts. I think it's the only one listed as being "marine friendly".

There ARE very nice marine units that will do it all (auto/marine) but they are physically very large, very expensive, are not easily portable.

My personal opinion is that the 5xx series is still the way to go (in a Garmin) if you want both auto & marine navigation in at a decent price point.

Thanks

Thank you again...

I got Nuvi 500. Now,being a noob to this, i am having trouble getting maps on the unit showing up in mapsource... I have an old version 3 installed (from one of originals) and upgraded. I llokeked to see if i can find tips how to, but.... BTW unit's map are udated via Garmin's website... Please pont me in the right direction...

Thanks

Tiger is offline Colonel
    Thanks

Thank you again...

I got Nuvi 500. Now,being a noob to this, i am having trouble getting maps on the unit showing up in mapsource... I have an old version 3 installed (from one of originals) and upgraded. I llokeked to see if i can find tips how to, but.... BTW unit's map are udated via Garmin's website... Please pont me in the right direction...

Thanks
    I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do. You CAN NOT load maps from any GPS directly into any version of Mapsource. The normal way that it works is the you start with maps in mapsource, select as many map segments as you like, and then let mapsource compile them into a mapset and transfer the compiled mapset TO your GPS. If you installed maps from the garmin site they are already compiled IMG files.

It IS possible to take a copy the maps from your GPS, run a few tools on them and then import them to mapsource but I won't get into the details. You are better off to find and download a "mapsource compatable" version of the maps you are looking for.

Thanks

I have had my Nuvi 500 for about a year and a half now. I have upgraded it to the latest software revs. I have G2 Vision Inland Lakes map for the southeast region and the
    offshore/rivers for the mid-east region (extra large).
    I use it both in my boat on Lakes Moultrie and Marion, Cooper River, offshore in SC as well as on the road. I LOVE this GPS. It does NOT do the 3d mariner view or 3d fish view with the G2 Vision
    series, but it's no biggie. Who cares if you have a depth finder and the nav charts are accurate as hell! I love the G2 Vision maps!!! Great unit for multi purpose!!!
    There is a 640 numbered model (can't remember the series) that is 3 times the price or more that will do road/marine and the full 3D functions of the G2 Vision maps, but
    I can't see forking out that much just for a slightly larger screen and a few 3D tricks.

firedog is offline Private
    Thanks

Garmin 500 Maps

I'm pretty squared away on the maps as far as gmapprom.img and the gmapsupp.img

In my experience the images are--or can be the same just the naming changes. And, you can have only one of each on the unit itself and only one "supp" image per memory card.

My question with updating this Garmin 500 is if I replace the original gmapprom.img with say NA 2010.10 image will I loose the topo? I can add it as "supp" to the unit but in my experience with running several images at one time--it causes lag in the drawing of the map image. I would like to keep the topos and keep the micro-sd card free for supplemental maps.

Thanks in Advance, dm

Thanks

Re: Garmin 500 Maps

Update: I backed-up the files on the unit and was going to replace the "gmapprom.img" with image "2010.10". But, checked the files sizes in the properties and the original is about 1.7gb and the above mentioned "2010.10" is only 1.2gb. So, my thougts are that the topo and street maps must be included in the same image. Your thoughts or ideas? I haven't been succesful in finding a map label specically for the 500 or 550...

Thanks

Re: Garmin 500 Maps

My research revealed that I'm not the only one discovering this issue. There's lots of documentation to the fact of the roads and topos tied together in one image file. I have spilt and combined maps before but not thinking this is the answer at this point. Garmin has discontinued this model except for one version targeting motorcycles--and does sell a update apparently about once a year. I can put the new maps on a card, but the card is beneath the battery to maintain it's waterproofing. And, I have some custom maps for off-road trails that I usually keep. So, if anyone knows of set of maps for this unit please let me know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast