GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GPSMAP 421

stimpy2300 is offline Corporal
    Thanks

GPSMAP 421

Hello,

I am in the process of getting my new garmin GPSMAP 421s and 541s and I am going to purcuase a Garmin BlueChart g2 Vision Jacksonville-Bahamas VUS513L
    sd card. I would like to be able to copy this to another sd card. I have read alot about unlocking maps for all the vehicle navigation units/cards and maps, but I cannot seem to find
    much on the marine Garmin BlueChart g2 Vision sd cards, execpt that they you cannot copy them. But i have read that the security deals with the sd card serial # and some indentificaiton in a file on the sd card.

So my quesiton is can these cards be copied and used in another chartplotter unit, so that I do not have to buy addtional ones or share it between the two?

Thanks for the help, and the is a great site!

stimpy2300
    Last edited by stimpy2300; 18th June 2010 at 20:01.

Santosan is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

Re: Question: Garmin BlueChart g2 Vision SD cards

Quote Originally Posted by stimpy2300 View Post
    Hello,

I am in the process of getting my new garmin GPSMAP 421s and 541s and I am going to purcuase a Garmin BlueChart g2 Vision Jacksonville-Bahamas VUS513L
    sd card. I would like to be able to copy this to another sd card. I have read alot about unlocking maps for all the vehicle nagigation cards and maps, but I cannot seem to find
    much on the marine Garmin BlueChart g2 Vision sd cards, execpt that they you cannot copy them. But i have read that the security deals with the sd card serial # and some indentificaiton in a file on the sd card.

So my quesiton is can these cards be copied and used in another chartplotter unit, so that I do not have to buy addtional ones or share it betweent the two?

stimpy2300
    You can copy the map in another SD Card/s and use it if it's unlocked.

The easiest way to unlock the map is using an easy to do so tool created by Pietu that you can find here: Older version from here: It's easy to do and you 'll have to do this only once.

Thanks

Santosan,
    thanks for the response. I am excited to give it a shot, I await my gps and I get the sd card monday. Once I unlock and it I will post here.

I will keep in touch!

UPDATE: Should have the unit today to try out. GPSMAP 421s.

I found an unlocked map, but there is only one file in the download. I thought that I need two files on the sd card for it to work? Could you tell me how I get the second file on the sd card or where I get it from?

I am only dealing with marine G2 visual cards.

Thanks again..
    Last edited by stimpy2300; 22nd June 2010 at 14:05.

Thanks

GPSMAP 421

Hello,

new here but learning fast... I am about to experiment with my first map's for my Garmin GPSMAP 421s with the Visual G2 map sd card.

I am a little confused on this issue about unlocked maps and copying to blank sd card to be used in the gps above.

I have downloaded the unlocked map, extracted it and copied it to the SD card. While reading I keep hearing discusions on the unl file that is used with these maps.

How do I create a unl file for a unlocked map or where do I find the unl file? I read about creating one, but most discussions are regarind land based gps.

I am only dealing with Marine and G2 vision maps. So I am a little confused and coudl use some help and guidence.

Thanks again for all the help so far. This site has been great!

stimpy2300

Thanks

Re: How to copy a unlocked map properly to a blank SD card?

First make sure your file is called gmapsupp.img, then copy it to a folder \GARMIN (I don't know your GPS unit), if it doesn't work in \Garmin move the file to the root directory of the SD card. The SD card should be formated as FAT/FAT16 or FAT32 if larger than 2 GB.
    For an unlocked IMG you don't need a GMAPSUPP.UNL containing the 25-letter unlock code for your unit.

bluesntwos is offline Corporal
    Thanks

I dont think you should be extracting the map if you have downloaded it. You just copy it straight across to your SD card like eByte says. It stays as a zip file. It is just a case of dragging and dropping!

Thanks

Hello,

sd card. I would like to be able to copy this to another sd card. I have read alot about unlocking maps for all the vehicle navigation units/cards and maps, but I cannot seem to find

So my quesiton is can these cards be copied and used in another chartplotter unit, so that I do not have to buy addtional ones or share it between the two?

stimpy2300
    Did you ever get this map uploaded?

Thanks

Thanks everyone that worked. Now I am trying to learn how to lock this to a unit or sd card so that it can only be used in one unit. i don't want this guy copying them around town!

Tiger is offline Colonel
    Thanks

Thanks everyone that worked. Now I am trying to learn how to lock this to a unit or sd card so that it can only be used in one unit. i don't want this guy copying them around town!
    If you satrted by downloading an unlocked map.... game over.... you can't re-lock it to a particular unit to kee someone else from copying it. The map is more than just unlocked, someone has actually removed the ability for it to be locked.

Thanks

How to lock a map to single GPSMAP unit on an SD card

Ok here is what I am trying to do. I need to keep someone from going around and just copying my unlocked maps from the sd card. So would like to take a map (unlocked) and lock it so that if he copies it, it won't work in another unit.

So basicly undersand that I need to create a unl file based off of the serial # of the GPS unit, I just don't know the steps and hoping someone can help me out.

I am only dealing with Marine Garmin GPS units using G2 or Visual G2 cards.

I just do not know how to do this and I am rather confused on how to how to lock an unlocked map, set map id and what tool to use.

Thanks in advance.

stimpy2300

Great site!
    Last edited by stimpy2300; 24th June 2010 at 18:19.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast