GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eTrex Legend HCx

rollmops is offline Corporal
    Thanks

eTrex Legend HCx

Hi
    I want too join topo sweden,und transfer too sd cart for my LegendHCX via Mapsource.
    This is my first GPS,and i dont want too srewed up.
    The map works fine on Mapsource.
    My plan is too safe all the parts using the maptool in Mapsource,and transfer them too the SDcart,wich will be in my GPS.
    Im not sure about the unlock codes,if any needed,Sweden topo came with a reg file wich i added too the registry,and i guess
    this unlocked the map.
    I checked with the Mapsource mapmanager,and all my maps showing up as unlockable.
    But im not sure if i will need unlock codes for each family.
    Also how can check if the map works on my GPS,if im not in sweden??
    I any one has some suggestion how too do this the best way?
    Thanks a lot

Some info about Micro SD card size for this Model.
    I using currently a Scandisc 4GB SDHDC card,with all off sweden v2,and all of Finland v2. (3.7GB)
    Works fine ,just the Drawing speed is a bit slow.
    Hope this Helps someone.

Just added Bluechart greece vision too my GPS Legend,works also. Convert with gmptool for Mapsourse
    Last edited by rollmops; 27th May 2011 at 20:46.

Tiger is offline Colonel
    Thanks

re: eTrex Legend HCx

Quote Originally Posted by rollmops View Post
    Hi
    I want too join topo sweden,und transfer too sd cart for my LegendHCX via Mapsource.
    This is my first GPS,and i dont want too srewed up.
    The map works fine on Mapsource.
    My plan is too safe all the parts using the maptool in Mapsource,and transfer them too the SDcart,wich will be in my GPS.
    Im not sure about the unlock codes,if any needed,Sweden topo came with a reg file wich i added too the registry,and i guess
    this unlocked the map.
    I checked with the Mapsource mapmanager,and all my maps showing up as unlockable.
    But im not sure if i will need unlock codes for each family.
    Also how can check if the map works on my GPS,if im not in sweden??
    I any one has some suggestion how too do this the best way?
    Thanks a lot
    If they show up with in mapsource status as "unlockable" then you will not need unlock codes, ever. Just select the segements you want in mapsource and transfer them to your SD card using mapsource as you had described. Mapsource will compile all the segments you have selected into a single file and automatically transfer it to your SD card as \garmin\gmapsupp.img. If the garmin folser is not on your SD card, mapsource will automatically create it for you.

Reboot and your maps should show up on your GPS map info screen. THey may already be selected or you may have yo manually select them via the accompanying check box (different gps models do it differently).

I'm not sure how you check them in a Legend but there should be som sort of "browse map" option that allows you to pan and zoom around any maps you have loaded and probably even set a temporary location so you can uses searches in that area. You probably have to put the GPS in some sort of "simulation" mode to relocate yourself. A simulation mode just stops the GPS from looking for satellites so you can manually relocate youself.
    Last edited by Tiger; 17th July 2010 at 00:20.

Thanks

Cool re: eTrex Legend HCx

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    If they show up with in mapsource status as "unlockable" then you will not need unlock codes, ever. Just select the segements you want in mapsource and transfer them to your SD card using mapsource as you had described. Mapsource will compile all the segments you have selected into a single file and automatically transfer it to your SD card as \garmin\gmapsupp.img. If the garmin folser is not on your SD card, mapsource will automatically create it for you.

Reboot and your maps should show up on your GPS map info screen. THey may already be selected or you may have yo manually select them via the accompanying check box (different gps models do it differently).

I'm not sure how you check them in a Legend but there should be som sort of "browse map" option that allows you to pan and zoom around any maps you have loaded and probably even set a temporary location so you can uses searches in that area. You probably have to put the GPS in some sort of "simulation" mode to relocate yourself. A simulation mode just stops the GPS from looking for satellites so you can manually relocate youself.
    Hi Mate
    Thanks for this,just tried it and works fine

pacmyc is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

Using Garmin topo maps on WinCE6

I have got the maps "friluftskatan" for sweden, which are topo maps, mostly for walking.
    I can open them in garmin mobile TX, but Im wondering if there is'nt any other program for using this kind of "walking" map, because mobile TX believes its supposed to navigate a car on the topo map which makes it unuseful.

Do anyone know what software is on the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx for example? Is it WinCE based? I would be extremely thankful to get that software into my gps.

Thanks

Re: eTrex Legend HCx

There is no OS as such on a Legend Hcx. the best way to get them onto this unit is with Mapsource

Thanks

Colourless maps

I have installed all the 20 mapsets of the Garmin Topo Adventure-set that coveres Norway.

First time i installed the maps, i used my Macbook Pro, and had to convert all the maps. It was a time consuming job indeed.

After installing all the 20 packs, all was working just fine, bit after a while i found a courious flaw. All the maps north of Trondheim-pack of maps, in the middle of the country has no coulour.All the details are visable, but everything is kind of beige coloured, with black details.

I desided to format the microSD card, and install all 20 packs over again. This time on a Windows machine, to see if the Mac is the problem.

It is not. I just tested the windows result, and the problem remains the same.

Could it be that my Garmin eTrax Legend HCx with a 2GB microSD has to little internal memory to function with the topo map package for all of Norway?

Hope that the forum can help me solve this little GPS-mystery.

Thanks

Re: Colourless maps

Quote Originally Posted by Skogsguden View Post
    I have installed all the 20 mapsets of the Garmin Topo Adventure-set that coveres Norway.

First time i installed the maps, i used my Macbook Pro, and had to convert all the maps. It was a time consuming job indeed.

After installing all the 20 packs, all was working just fine, bit after a while i found a courious flaw. All the maps north of Trondheim-pack of maps, in the middle of the country has no coulour.All the details are visable, but everything is kind of beige coloured, with black details.

I desided to format the microSD card, and install all 20 packs over again. This time on a Windows machine, to see if the Mac is the problem.

It is not. I just tested the windows result, and the problem remains the same.

Could it be that my Garmin eTrax Legend HCx with a 2GB microSD has to little internal memory to function with the topo map package for all of Norway?

Hope that the forum can help me solve this little GPS-mystery.
    Hi
    2 gb sd card is plenty,i got the topo adventure on my legend Hcx wich takes about 1.25gb of space.
    i dont use mac,if u have mapsource (if it works on mac?)try and select the tiles from mapsource and send it too your sd card.

Thanks

Etrex legend

Hello All,

Have this device lying around and want to do something with it!

Its a garmin etrex legend (pretty old one with the serial rs interface) think its has 8mb memory.

Whats the chances of getting topography maps on to it for ireland.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=167&pID=173 this chap!

many thanks

Damo

Thanks

Getting the unit ID from unlock code, mapsource or micro sd

I want to have the unit ID of a broken garmin legend hcx. I can't find out the unit id anymore by connecting the unit to my computer. But I have unlocked maps using mapsource for this unit And I still have the micro SD I used in that gps with the gmapsupp.img file on it.

Is there anyway I can use the unlock codes, mapsource or the micro SD to find out the unit ID of my dead GPS?

Thanks

Re: Getting the unit ID from unlock code, mapsource or micro sd

I own a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx. I've installed a 4GB micro SD card. Is there anyway to install a satellite image as an overlay. I've read that it's possible with eTrex 20 and 30, but not sure about the Legend HCx. Thanks for any help pointing me in the right direction.
    Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 31st July 2011, 10:29