GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: nüvi 705

Thanks

Garmin 705 map question

I just purchased a Garmin 705 with North American map. Can this unit support European map if the basemap is NA? I tried loading an unlocked Europe map and it doesn't recognize it. The Europe map worked on my 255 and 370. I deposited the file into an SD card ... folder "garmin" and filename is "gmapsupp".

TCIII is offline Staff Sergeant
    Thanks

Re: Garmin 705 map question

Quote Originally Posted by rlim View Post
    I just purchased a Garmin 705 with North American map. Can this unit support European map if the basemap is NA? I tried loading an unlocked Europe map and it doesn't recognize it. The Europe map worked on my 255 and 370. I deposited the file into an SD card ... folder "garmin" and filename is "gmapsupp".
    It should be.....gmapsupp.img

hobkirk is offline Private
    Thanks

nüvi 705

I wanted a computer for my bike that could handle all the usual stuff plus pedal cadence, heart rate reported by lap, and could handle power data if I get into modifying my bike with components that report power output. Garmin makes slightly cheaper bike computers do all this without maps, but I decided that the maps would be a terrific extra. I thought I would have the option of buying Garmin maps (for the USA) or loading it with free maps (although finding cities might be awkward because cities didn't have the associated state code [?]). Several postings on BikeForums.com made it sound easy.

Trying to get and load fee maps has not been "easy"! A poster at Bike Forums suggested this forum. I want to learn, and I'm willing to undo or redo any of the steps I've done thus far.
    1. I have downloaded a file of the US - GarminMap_4000MB-lon_-165.45_to_154.60.gmapsupp.img
    2. I renamed it gmapsupp.img
    3. I put it on a 4GB micro SD card under a directory "Garmin" using a card reader
    4. I inserted the card into the 705 - see the results below
    5. A posting I found somewhere implied I should use Garmin MapSource (I guess it only comes with the maps package - it wasn't on my Garmin DVD)
    6. I installed Garmin MapSource (I had to install some other Garmin training software first and then "update it" to the newest version of MapSource) - see the results below

It seems like I should be home free! But -
    • I don't see the micro SD card or its contents under Windows Explorer when I look at the Garmin 705 with the card inserted
    • MapSource doesn't look for "img" files

I have searched net. I've found numerous answers but none have been sufficient to help me get maps loaded. I searched this forum before posting this question, and it seems I may need to load another piece of software to convert the IMG file into something MapSource can read.

Help! Please! Thank you for reading this, and thanks more if you're willing to take the time to issue a reply.

tli
    tli is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

re: nüvi 705

Quote Originally Posted by hobkirk View Post
    ... the steps I've done thus far.
    1. I have downloaded a file of the US - GarminMap_4000MB-lon_-165.45_to_154.60.gmapsupp.img
    2. I renamed it gmapsupp.img
    3. I put it on a 4GB micro SD card under a directory "Garmin" using a card reader
    4. I inserted the card into the 705 - see the results below
    5. A posting I found somewhere implied I should use Garmin MapSource (I guess it only comes with the maps package - it wasn't on my Garmin DVD)
    6. I installed Garmin MapSource (I had to install some other Garmin training software first and then "update it" to the newest version of MapSource) - see the results below

It seems like I should be home free! But -
    • I don't see the micro SD card or its contents under Windows Explorer when I look at the Garmin 705 with the card inserted
    • MapSource doesn't look for "img" files

I've no experience with the 705 but just a few questions for clarification:

1. Where did you download "GarminMap_4000MB-lon_-165.45_to_154.60.gmapsupp.img" from? What is the size of this IMG file? Which areas of the US does it cover?

2. Which MapSource version are you using? Is it the patched version? Does MapSource recognize the connected 705 and its SD card? You can check via <Utilities> <Get Unit ID...> and click on the <Find Device> button.

3. Is your PC setup to 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' and not 'Hide Protected Operating System Files'? Does Window Explorer display the internal memory contents of the connected 705?
    Last edited by tli; 19th July 2010 at 00:46. Reason: Edge 705
    pantzernick likes this.

Thanks

Hopefully these answers will shed some light, both on the nature of the 705 unit and on my specific problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tli View Post
    I've no experience with the 705 but just a few questions for clarification:

1. Where did you download "GarminMap_4000MB-lon_-165.45_to_154.60.gmapsupp.img" from? What is the size of this IMG file? Which areas of the US does it cover?

2. Which MapSource version are you using? Is it the patched version? Does MapSource recognize the connected 705 and its SD card? You can check via <Utilities> <Get Unit ID...> and click on the <Find Device> button.

3. Is your PC setup to 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' and not 'Hide Protected Operating System Files'? Does Window Explorer display the internal memory contents of the connected 705?
    1)
    • I don't remember - it might have been OpenStreetMap.org, but I believe I found a full US map that had already been "assembled" - but I'm perfectly willing to go to some other source and download a new file if someone points me in a direction
    • 2.8 GB
    • all of the US (I believe)

2)
    • Version 6.16.2, the newest, downloaded directly from Garmin (it wouldn't install because it couldn't find an already installed version, but it did once I installed Garmin Training Center software) - MapSource was then "updated"
    • MapSource sees the Garmin 705
    • How can I tell if MapSource sees the SD card?

3)
    • Yes, my Windows Explorer is set to show all files, including protected files
    • Yes, it shows the Garmin drive has 509 MB capacity, about 19 MB used, and it shows Folders Courses, GPX, History, Profile, and RemoteSW plus individual files (the largest is gmapbmap.img at 13 MB)
    • But it doesn't show a second drive, or 4 GB anywhere I can see
    • I can look at the contents of the micro SD card using my card reader (one folder, Garmin, and one file under it, gmapsupp.img)

tli
    tli is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

Hopefully these answers will shed some light, both on the nature of the 705 unit and on my specific problem.

1)
    • I don't remember - it might have been OpenStreetMap.org, but I believe I found a full US map that had already been "assembled" - but I'm perfectly willing to go to some other source and download a new file if someone points me in a direction
    • 2.8 GB
    • all of the US (I believe)
    I'm not familiar with maps from OpenStreetMap. You might try downloading the unlocked IMG file of CNNANT2011.10 found on the forum here at GPSU. Copy that IMG file to your 4GB SD card, in the Garmin directory. See if this map works.

2)
    • Version 6.16.2, the newest, downloaded directly from Garmin (it wouldn't install because it couldn't find an already installed version, but it did once I installed Garmin Training Center software) - MapSource was then "updated"
    • MapSource sees the Garmin 705
    • How can I tell if MapSource sees the SD card?
    Sorry, my mistake, MapSource would be unable to see the SD card until it has a valid map to transfer to the device/SD card. Let's set the MapSource approach aside for now and try to get the unlocked image working first.

3)
    • Yes, my Windows Explorer is set to show all files, including protected files
    • Yes, it shows the Garmin drive has 509 MB capacity, about 19 MB used, and it shows Folders Courses, GPX, History, Profile, and RemoteSW plus individual files (the largest is gmapbmap.img at 13 MB)
    • But it doesn't show a second drive, or 4 GB anywhere I can see
    • I can look at the contents of the micro SD card using my card reader (one folder, Garmin, and one file under it, gmapsupp.img)
    According to Garmin's product description of the Edge 705, the Garmin "data card preloaded with City Navigator for U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico street maps (maps on a preloaded data card cannot be copied or viewed on a computer)." This may be the reason why Window Explorer does not display the SD card--probably inhibited by the 705's firmware design. From Window Explorer, does the 705's Garmin folder contain an IMG file named GMAPPROM.IMG? If so, what is it's size?

Thanks

I'm not familiar with maps from OpenStreetMap. You might try downloading the unlocked IMG file of CNNANT2011.10 found on the forum here at GPSU. Copy that IMG file to your 4GB SD card, in the Garmin directory. See if this map works.
    1. I went through the thread
    2. I download JDownload, downloaded the DLC "link"
    3. It downloaded 14 RAR files (all start "CN_NA_NT2011.103D_") - gmaptz, JCV, and then 12 pieces [unlocked.part01 - 11 plus unlocked_gmap3d])
    4. 3 additional files are in the JDownload folder - CN_NA_NT2011.10_3D_gmaptz.img (568 KB), D2339010A.JCV, and (hooray!) gmap3D.img (but only 154,816 KB (boo!) - I assume these are 3 files that were extracted?
    5. I copied gmap3d.img onto the micro SD card, renamed it, and put it in the Garmin 705 - MapSource doesn't find any maps
    6. So I guess this didn't work!

Sorry, my mistake, MapSource would be unable to see the SD card until it has a valid map to transfer to the device/SD card. Let's set the MapSource approach aside for now and try to get the unlocked image working first.
    According to Garmin's product description of the Edge 705, the Garmin "data card preloaded with City Navigator for U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico street maps (maps on a preloaded data card cannot be copied or viewed on a computer)." This may be the reason why Window Explorer does not display the SD card--probably inhibited by the 705's firmware design. From Window Explorer, does the 705's Garmin folder contain an IMG file named GMAPPROM.IMG? If so, what is it's size?
    1. Seems plausible.
    2. No GMAPPROM.IMG file shows (I can list what does show, if desired)

Thank You for what you're doing!

tli
    tli is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

1. ...
    2. ...
    3. It downloaded 14 RAR files (all start "CN_NA_NT2011.103D_") - gmaptz, JCV, and then 12 pieces [unlocked.part01 - 11 plus unlocked_gmap3d])
    4. 3 additional files are in the JDownload folder - CN_NA_NT2011.10_3D_gmaptz.img (568 KB), D2339010A.JCV, and (hooray!) gmap3D.img (but only 154,816 KB (boo!) - I assume these are 3 files that were extracted?
    5. I copied gmap3d.img onto the micro SD card, renamed it, and put it in the Garmin 705 - MapSource doesn't find any maps
    6. So I guess this didn't work!
    OK, you'll need more guidance than I'd anticipated... what you've done will not work as you'd discovered. Anyway, the relevant files of interest should be those 11 RAR files (all start "CN_NA_NT2011.103D_"). All those other downloaded files from the DLC are not necessary or used in your case since the Edge 705 does not support those features. Unrar those 11 files to one single GMAPSUPP.IMG file (over 1.3 GB?), and use this IMG file on the SD card--not the gmap3d.img!

1. ...
    2. No GMAPPROM.IMG file shows (I can list what does show, if desired)
    A file listing would help me since I'm not familiar with the file structure and content of the Edge 705.

Thank You for what you're doing!
    You're very welcome.
    Last edited by tli; 19th July 2010 at 21:54. Reason: Checked the DLC contents; only 11 of 14 files are relevant.

Thanks

OK, you'll need more guidance than I'd anticipated... what you've done will not work as you'd discovered. Anyway, the relevant files of interest should be those 11 RAR files (all start "CN_NA_NT2011.103D_"). All those other downloaded files from the DLC are not necessary or used in your case since the Edge 705 does not support those features. Unrar those 11 files to one single GMAPSUPP.IMG file (over 1.3 GB?), and use this IMG file on the SD card--not the gmap3d.img!

A file listing would help me since I'm not familiar with the file structure and content of the Edge 705.

You're very welcome.
    You're right about my needing more guidance!

The links in your post # 6 have expired.
    So I downloaded a program RAR Extract Frog via CNET.
    I highlighted the 11 files for it to extract.
    I got a message to only highlight the first file.
    But it won't let me cancel the dialogue box!
    Nor will it let me end the task under Windows Task Manager.
    So I will reboot and see if the problem goes away.
    Meanwhile -

Garmin Folder
    clm.nvm
    fs_image.ver
    GarminDevice.xml
    gmapbmap.img
    gupdate.GCD
    rgn_3_chksum.txt

Folders under Garmin folder -
    Courses
    GPX
    History
    RemoteSW

tli
    tli is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

So I downloaded a program RAR Extract Frog via CNET.
    That app should work just fine for unrar. FYI, I prefer and use the open-source program, 7-Zip.

I highlighted the 11 files for it to extract.
    I got a message to only highlight the first file.
    Yes, you only need to unrar the Part1 file as the program will join the other 10 files automatically, and extract the one IMG file.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast