GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: nüvi 260/260W

dddarren is offline Sergeant First Class
    Thanks

nüvi 260/260W

my nuvi 260 does not see a 8gb card can i partition the SD Card into 4 2gb partition SD Card does this work

tli
    tli is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

re: nüvi 260/260W

Just try it, and let us know.

Most likely, it's the SDHC and/or class type of the 8GB SD card that the 260 does not support? 8GB should work though since I've used an 8GB card in a lower-end nuvi 200. Your 260's software/firmware up to date? Also, is the SD card FAT formatted?
    Last edited by tli; 29th July 2010 at 13:05.

dddarren is offline Sergeant First Class
    Thanks

re: nüvi 260/260W

SD card FAT32 formatted it is working made a big g2 map of australia 2.84gb works good thanks

thommo56 is offline Private
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: 8GB card in a NUVI 200

Hi
    Im running a Nuvi 200, currently with several 2GB sd cards, from your post, I take it that I can use an 8GB SDHC card or do you mean 8GB SD card in the NUVI 200?? I travel overseas a lot and I have 6 x 2GB sd cards for different places, which is a bit of a pain, It would be great if I could just load the lot onto one card and just fudge the file names as I require.

Regards

Thommo56

tli
    tli is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

Re: 8GB card in a NUVI 200

Quote Originally Posted by thommo56 View Post
    ... I take it that I can use an 8GB SDHC card or do you mean 8GB SD card in the NUVI 200??
    There is no 8GB SD card. I believe the largest SD card is spec'ed for 4GB but mostly 2GB SD cards are the largest readily available commercially.

Quote Originally Posted by thommo56 View Post
    ... It would be great if I could just load the lot onto one card and just fudge the file names as I require.
    This is exactly what I do with my maps stored on the 8GB SDHC card.

Loxx is offline Corporal
    Thanks

Re: 8GB card in a NUVI 200

A sandisk 8GB micro SDHC card will set up back £15-20 on ebay.

4gb micro SDHC formated as FAT works without issues with Nuvi 1310
    Last edited by Loxx; 7th September 2010 at 11:36. Reason: extra info

peterson65 is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

Garmin nuvi 260 updating

i have a friend that gave me his nuvi260 to see if i could update the united states maps on it as they are from 2008, is it worth messing with this old unit? i have a navigon and dont know anything about garmin updating, it doesnt even have a sd card
    thanks

bjjfc is offline Global Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,528 Times in 359 Posts

Re: Garmin nuvi 260 updating

read here How to Update Maps on your Device or other thread in Garmin Tutorials for more info

Tiger is offline Colonel
    Thanks

Re: Garmin nuvi 260 updating

Quote Originally Posted by peterson65 View Post
    i have a friend that gave me his nuvi260 to see if i could update the united states maps on it as they are from 2008, is it worth messing with this old unit? i have a navigon and dont know anything about garmin updating, it doesnt even have a sd card
    thanks
    The 260 is an old but good unit, there are tons of them still out there. I'd update it.

The 260 update is a simple file replacment. Hook it up to USB and browse. The original 2008 maps are in a single file:
    x:\garmin\gmapprom.img <-- these are the maps .... note the size of the file, probably a gig or so

To do an UPDATE, you simply need to replace the old map file with a new map file. The latest map is "City Navigator North America 2012.2 NT" and you can find links to download it here in this forum.

The only problem with a 260 upgrade is that some of them are 2 gig internal memory devices and some are only 1.5 gig and ith issue will be "wil the new map fit?" The full map of North America (all of US & Canada is now about 1.46gig) and may not fit even a fter removing the original map. If it doesn't fit, you can:

1. Look for a map IMG here that contain less coverage but fits (Maybe only the lower 48 states) and use that if it fits. Or only Canada if that's where you are located.

2. The easiest possible thing is to put the full North American map (1.46gig version) on an SD or MicroSD if you run into a size issue. Cards are very cheap these days and will add new life/capacity to the 260 for many years. All you need is a 2gig low performance cheapo card formatted as FAT or FAT 32. If you use a card, you won't need to touch the GPS and you'll be able to use those maps (on SD) in any Garmin (just insert and go). A 4 gig card may or may not work in the 260. I believe it will if the 260 has the latest firmware.

When you look here for a map to download you want an "unlocked image". A *.IMG is a Garmin proprietary "gps ready" map and contains everything including all the POI's. You want an "unlocked" version so you don't have to use any tools or or have to generate any keys or unlock codes. The unlocked versions have been modified to be "unlockable" so they can just be copied to any Garmin GPS or SD card and simply work as long as they are in the correct folder.

The other thing to know.... When you download a garmin map (*.img file) it will be named either "gmapprom.img" or "gmapsupp.img". Regardless of the name, the contents will be identical and the file can be renamed if necessary. The names mean slightly different things to the way the GPS handles them internally (2 simple rules).

"gmapprom.img" is the name alway used for the pre-installed maps and is only used INSIDE the GPS. It must be:
    x:\garmin\gmapprom.img (path for the GPS to find the pre-installed map at boot time)

"gmapsupp.img" is the name used for seconday/supplemental maps. There can be on of these IN the GPS and another on SD and to be found, must be named ad follows.
    x:\garmin\gmapsupp.img where "x" is the drive letter of the GPS or SD card as seen from the PC.

If the filenames or paths are incorrect, the GPS will not recognize the maps at boot time. After the GPS boots, you can view all the maps from the 260 "Map Info" screen where they will be listed and individually selectable. If you were to leave the 2008 maps in the 260 and put the 2012 maps on SD the GPS would see both maps and you could use either but you shouldn't select both at the same time because they cover the same geographic area. I'm not sure which one will get drawing priority on a 260.

For future reference, everything stated above will work for any Nuvi with a model number less than 1xxx. The newer 1xxx, 2xxx, etc use different directory paths and support more map filenames.

Hope this helps!
    Tiger

peterson65 is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

Wink re: nüvi 260/260W

thanks it worked, one thin was the folder called garmin had to have a capital g (Garmin) before it would see the map on the sd, but updating the unit was very simple.
    thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast