GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dakota 20

Thanks

Unhappy Dakota 20

I have a dakota 20 and have italy land navigator loaded via mapsource and gb discoverer on a memory card. I can upload routes from mapsource to the unit but when i try to download tracks, waypoints or routes to mapsource it says there are none there..... but there are! Has anyone any ideas

Thanks

Re: dakota 20 problems with download of routes etc

You need Garmin Trip & Waypoint Manager installed as an addon to Mapsource

catymag is offline Command Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Re: dakota 20 problems with download of routes etc

Garmin Trip & Waypoint Manager V5.0

Code:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WEAICO14

Thanks

Dakota 20

Hello,

I need help installing the "Onroute fietskaart" map on a Garmin Dakota 20. I've downloaded the map. In the comment wich was included with the torrent they said that I had to create the following pad c:\Garminonroute and put all the files in there. Then I had to execute the .reg file and it should be ok, but Mapsource doesn,t recognize the map. In the comment they also told that the map was not locked.

Here's the complete comment:

Garmin OnRoute Fietskaart Nederland v1.55 (Mapsource version)
    (Holland, the Netherlands)

Overview: This is the latest dutch Garmin GPS map made especially for bike
    rides (a "fietskaart" in dutch). This map is fully routable compared to the
    non routable dutch TOPO map.

Manufacturer's homepages:
    Install info:
    Copy to c:Garminonroute and import Fietskaart.reg to the registry.
    If you want to use different folder: edit Fietskaart.reg before importing!

Map Date: 13.02.2009

FID: 5142
    Not locked map!

What i tried sofar:
    • I tried different versions of Mapsource, older and newer ones
    • I tried the newer 5.2 unlock method, and replaced the gmapsupp.img file with the original one in case the map wasn't unlocked
    • I tried the 1.2 and 1.3 unlock tool to create the unlock code, and paste it into the map wizzard, with no effect
    I tried the method creating the .UNL files
    • I added the waypoint manager to mapsource

What I still not understand is the following:
    The downloaded files contain several .img files and some other files .dbx .mdx etcetera but in the forum's they are most of the time talking about the gmapsupp.img file. For example the 5,2 unlock method can only handle a single file, so i put the gmapsupp file in there to unlock but what do I need to do this with all the other img files (there are about 20 files starting with a number.img)???
    There is not a executable file for instance.

On the Dakota there was allready a Topo map of the Benelux installed wich is working fine, but that's not the right map for me. I need a routable bycicle map, so this should be the perfect one for me. Can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong???

I'm handy with computers and files but the Garmin navigation is new to me so maybe i'm forgetting something. I've read in the forum that the Dakota has difficult firmware with a high security for maps downloaded from the internet.

Maybe can someone help me who did the trick??

Thanks,

Niek
    (Netherlands)

HaTeVe is offline Corporal
    Thanks

re: Dakota 20

The dir where you should put your files in is: C:\Garmin\Onroute not c:garminonroute. Mapsource is looking in the wrong dir, therefore it doesn't work.
    Now you can select all card tiles in Mapsource and send them to your device or sd-card.
    If it was unlocked there should be no problem.

Thanks

Dakota 20 SD card?

Hi everyone,

I will be buying a garmin dakota 20 soon and was wondering about the micro sd card. Most maps can fit on a 2g card, but is it also possible to buy a 32g card and place all your maps on it? Further i would like to know if there is a specific brand that you would reccomend for the prices vary a lot.

fatfred is offline Private
    Thanks

DAKOTA 20

I am using a converted OSM map on my Dakota 20 and much as it is miles (excuse the pun) better than the base map supplied with the Garmin it is nowhere near as good as the Maps I can download and use on my Android phone.

I mainly use my GPS for geocaching so it is not a major issue (I use a combination of phone and GPS when walking trails I don't know well) so I am not willing to spend too much MONEY on it but I would be interested to hear any suggestions (preferably clean ones!)

Many thanks.

fatfred is offline Private
    Thanks

Dakota maps, what do you use?

DAKOTA 20

I am using a converted OSM map on my Dakota 20 and much as it is miles (excuse the pun) better than the base map supplied with the Garmin it is nowhere near as good as the Maps I can download and use on my Android phone.

I mainly use my GPS for geocaching so it is not a major issue (I use a combination of phone and GPS when walking trails I don't know well) so I am not willing to spend too much MONEY on it but I would be interested to hear any suggestions (preferably clean ones!)

Many thanks.

Thanks

Re: Dakota 20 SD card?

4gb is recommended by Garmin, and Class 4!

babj615 is offline Corporal
    Thanks

Re: Dakota maps, what do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by fatfred View Post
    DAKOTA 20

Many thanks.
    Where in the world are you?

I use almost exclusively maps from GPSFileDepot.com on my Garmin products! The Topographic maps they have for my area are far superior to any of Garmins maps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)