GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 77
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: nüvi 265/265W/265WT

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    nüvi 265/265W/265WT

    Anyone got the wrong destination address on Garmin 265WT? Mine does. I put in an address and when come to the one showed on GPS, that's not the right one. It is way 5 house down the street.

  2. #2
    tli's Avatar
    tli
    tli is offline Sergeant
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    39
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: incorrect address

    Quote Originally Posted by nghoang View Post
    Anyone got the wrong destination address on Garmin 265WT? Mine does. I put in an address and when come to the one showed on GPS, that's not the right one. It is way 5 house down the street.
    This happens mostly in densely populated urban areas. I've experienced this inaccuracy when I'm in NYC. Report the mapping error(s)--nothing wrong with your GPS unit--to:

    http://mapreporter.navteq.com/home#find

    and

    https://my.garmin.com/mapErrors/report.faces

  3. #3
    Tiger is offline Colonel
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,021
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 180 Times in 141 Posts

    Re: incorrect address

    Quote Originally Posted by nghoang View Post
    Anyone got the wrong destination address on Garmin 265WT? Mine does. I put in an address and when come to the one showed on GPS, that's not the right one. It is way 5 house down the street.
    That behavior is quite normal and happens often. The reason is that (unlike the buile in POI's) street address are NOT geocoded into the map data. The data in the maps is the coordinates of the street, length on the street, the lowest numbers and highest address numbers, the odd/even sides and the direction of the increasing numbers. With that information, the GPS simply uses linear interpolation to calculate the approximate location of the address of your destination. You will find times when there are stupid errors in the maps like the numbers going up when they should go down and a few othere funnies from time to time. The gross errors will eventually get corrected if you report them but the natural inaccuracy due to the linear interpolation is just the way it is.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Do Bluecharts work on a Nuvi 265W?

    This question is probably asked daily so I apologize right now.

    I have googled, searched, joined other sites but still have not found a solid answer. The question is answered YES by Wiki but answered yes and no in other forums. I own a Garmin Nuvi 265W and like every half geek/half fisherman would like to convert his gps for lake maps (Northern Ontario Hopefully).

    I have been able to load European maps for a trip of a lifetime last year but never came across a definitive answer or helpful url.

    If I get flames because this is really a noobie repetitive question, again I am sorry.

    Thank you for your time.

  5. #5
    Tiger is offline Colonel
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,021
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 180 Times in 141 Posts

    Re: Do Bluecharts work on a Nuvi 265W?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raycaster View Post
    This question is probably asked daily so I apologize right now.

    I have googled, searched, joined other sites but still have not found a solid answer. The question is answered YES by Wiki but answered yes and no in other forums. I own a Garmin Nuvi 265W and like every half geek/half fisherman would like to convert his gps for lake maps (Northern Ontario Hopefully).

    I have been able to load European maps for a trip of a lifetime last year but never came across a definitive answer or helpful url.

    If I get flames because this is really a noobie repetitive question, again I am sorry.

    Thank you for your time.
    The answer is that you can use them with you 265W BUT the reslts may be quite lousy, you will have to try them and judge for yourself.

    Charts are not compatable with your nuvi (or most nuvi models) which basically means they will not display the maps correctly. Compared to what you see in mapsource, in the 265W there will be a lot of missing chart detail and features. The quality of what you will see for charts on a non-compatable nuvi varies from model to model. They will certainly allow you to see where you are (you won't get lost) and may be ok for depending on your boating skills/needs but no serious boater would use them in a nuvi as a navigation tool.

    If you do try bluecharts you will need to disable your land maps (on your gps MapInfo screen) to see any shore detail because land maps display on top of the blue charts and cover the shoreline. They can be fun to have on a cruise ship or a whale watch.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Do Bluecharts work on a Nuvi 265W?

    Thank you very much for the informative reply.

    Can I simply try the bluechart map by placing the appropriate unlocked bluechart map img in a Garmin folder on the SD?
    I will remember to disable land maps.

  7. #7
    Tiger is offline Colonel
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,021
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 180 Times in 141 Posts

    Re: Do Bluecharts work on a Nuvi 265W?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raycaster View Post
    Thank you very much for the informative reply.

    Can I simply try the bluechart map by placing the appropriate unlocked bluechart map img in a Garmin folder on the SD?
    I will remember to disable land maps.
    Yes, either will work

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Do Bluecharts work on a Nuvi 265W?

    In the theme "spoon fed", does anyone have a url to these specific bluecharts?

    I have BlueChart Americas v9,5 but not sure if this is Northern Ontario charts I'm looking for.

    While I'm asking, would it be simpler or cheaper to find a compatible GPS on ebay etc. to avoid any problems?

    Thank you for your time.

  9. #9
    redman2010 is offline Lance Corporal
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Do Bluecharts work on a Nuvi 265W?

    did you try the maps section here?

    Code:
    http://gpsunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?91-Garmin-Maps
    Code:
    http://gpsunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?1116-America-BlueChart-G2-Vision-Maps-IMG-unlocked

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Do Bluecharts work on a Nuvi 265W?

    Again, many thanks.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •