GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE

Thread: nüvi 670

Thanks

nüvi 670

Are there marine navigational maps for the nuvi 660 or 670?
    Last edited by ITA-USA; 25th November 2010 at 08:30.

yawdamper is offline Corporal
    Thanks

Question Nüvi hangs at locating satellites / unable to locate any sat's

Hi GPS Guruzzz

My good old Nüvi 670 suddenly gave up locating satellites / position - hoping that somebody has some good tips - or can help to confirm if the unit is really dead

nüvi 670-670_1.jpg

It is stuck with the position @ Garmin USA (I'm in Europe) - and it does not find any satellites (no blue pins in the upper left corner)

When in satellite info screen by touching upper left, it shows nothing at the blue bars / and only "faded" satellite numbers/dots on the map. (the unit has been left outside on external pwr for several hours with no result at all)

nüvi 670-670_2.jpg

When in maintenance screen (inventory) by touching upper right corner I noticed that it says "SiRF - ERASED" / is this a clue?

nüvi 670-670_3.jpg

Things I tried.

Did a reset via button on backside / no help
    Did a reset by keeping pwr button pressed while booting (PRE BOOT MODE) / no help
    Cleared all user data by touching lower left at screen while booting up / no help
    Tried an external antenna / no help

Any good tip would be highly appreciated / or maybe i should just run the damn thing over with my car

Thanks
    Yawdamper

TCIII is offline Staff Sergeant
    Thanks

Re: Nüvi hangs at locating satellites / unable to locate any sat's

1st pic shows that unit sees your antenna....you could go to webupdater and update firmware and gps .....Antenna failure is common and not much you can do if it is bad..( there are ways to work around ,but not for the novice by any means....buy modifying the antenna ) if you have access to an external antenna and it works, then your antenna is bad.....good luck

just noticed that you tried an external.....if updates don't help...you need another antenna
    Last edited by TCIII; 22nd February 2012 at 18:36.

catymag is offline Command Sergeant Major
    Thanks

You have a problem in your FTL ( FTL image shows an Error status), I think you must format your device and restore backup. read here:
    GpsPasSion Forums - Backing up your Nuvi

Tiger is offline Colonel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yawdamper View Post
    Hi GPS Guruzzz

My good old Nüvi 670 suddenly gave up locating satellites / position - hoping that somebody has some good tips - or can help to confirm if the unit is really dead

Things I tried.

Did a reset via button on backside / no help
    Did a reset by keeping pwr button pressed while booting (PRE BOOT MODE) / no help
    Cleared all user data by touching lower left at screen while booting up / no help
    Tried an external antenna / no help

Any good tip would be highly appreciated / or maybe i should just run the damn thing over with my car

Thanks
    Yawdamper
    yawdamper

When all else fails, here's a little story that might help. You would have nothing to loose!

My friend had a Nuvi 350 that just one day stopped working. It failed with the exact same symptoms as yours. I even tried an external antenna as you did. I spent an entire day trying to straighten it out using every trick I could find on the web and different firmware updates with no luck. When he left for home the unit was dead and we assumed it to now be a throw away.

That evening I called him with one last idea... to disconnect the battery, wait a few minutes, reconnect and see what happens. The problem problem was... he's not capable of getting accessing the battery because of the flip-up antenna (just like you 660) so I suggested something else for him to try...

1. leave the unit ON all night to simply Kill the battery (that ought to reset it!)
    2. then... hook it up to USB and charge the battey for 8 hours
    3. then try it and see if it works.

He did the above, then went out in the yard, powered it up and bingo! Satellites were back an the unit was working perfectly as if it never failed. We were both VERY surprised.

I can't explain why this fixed it. Perhaps some logic was locked up that the normal reset sequences could not clear and the dead battery was the ultimate reset. That happen about 2 years ago and that 350 is still working fine pretty much on a daily basis.

Thanks

Hi All

Thank You for your reply's /

Catymag: I will try to do a full reformat, (do You know if it should be FAT or FAT32?) and give it a shot.

Tiger: If above is unsuccessfull, I will try Your fix

Will get back with results

Yawdamper

catymag is offline Command Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yawdamper View Post
    Hi All

Thank You for your reply's /

Catymag: I will try to do a full reformat, (do You know if it should be FAT or FAT32?) and give it a shot.

Tiger: If above is unsuccessfull, I will try Your fix

Will get back with results

Yawdamper
    Fat 32 , read also
    GpsPasSion Forums - GarminCure3 - the new way to cure Garmin devices

|
    Last edited by catymag; 22nd February 2012 at 22:25.

Thanks

Hi again

I have now tried to fully reformat and reinstall latest firmware from Garmin website without any luck (did the format iaw link above)

After that I also tried Tiger's suggestion, and I took my Nüvi670 apart, and had the batt disconnected for some minutes - reconnected and tried locating satellites again without any luck

So I guess that the antenna or mainboard must have a fault - I have given up and trashed it - Will buy a new one, most probably try a TomTom this time.

Thanks for Your ideas

Yawdamper