a-rider is offline Private
    Thanks

Honda GL1800

So I have a navi gl1800 goldwing which has the Garmin/Honda nav package
    Honda and or Garmin only has updates fro m 08?? at$199 Stuff that
    I have learned that is an NON NT map package that is needed
    I downloaded a unlocked copy of cn.na 2011 and a cracked copy of Mapsource
    all this goes on a 2 g CF card that plugs into the unit on the bike
    I have copied the map set with mapsource BUT it only shows SOME us states NO Canada
    I look at map info display line on GPS settings and it is blank? so I assume it is not reading all of data
    for background info
    Thanks for any insight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honda GL1800-strive-08.jpg  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to a-rider For This Useful Post:

sotohold is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

Honda GL1800

Garmin City Navigator Europe 2009 Non-NT (Mapsource) for older Garmin Devices

http://rapidshare.com/files/337217544/379_RS.dlc

Password: tom1807
    Last edited by sotohold; 12th December 2010 at 20:01. Reason: Password

Thanks

Re: HONDA GL1800 Motorcycle Garmin UPDATE help??

Hey Rider!
    I feel your pain. I also have an '08 'Wing. I was able to update my maps to City Navigator North America 2009, but I had the MapSource software installed on my PC, and had updated it to 2009. The originalo MapSource was designed for downloading portions of maps to Garmin GPS devices that didn't have enough memory to hold ALL of the maps (for example the original Quest - NOT Quest II). The original Quest only has 115MB of memory with no way to install extra. If I wanted maps of an area, I selected the maps I wanted , then downloaded them to the GPS.

I found out from posts on the GL1800 forum that you could update the maps on pre-'09 bikes using the MapSource software, and found a keylock unlocker on this site. Once I unlocked the maps for my 'Wing, I was able to download all of the maps for North America/Canada to the CompactFlash card and re-install into the bike.

I thought I had everything covered, but earlier this year I found out that Garmin is no longer supporting non-NT GPS devices - no more map updates! I have been searching this site again to determine if anyone has been able to convert an NT mapset to a non-NT device. I found a thread that allows you to update the MapSource software to version 2011, but haven't gotten it to work completely yet. I have managed to update the maps and local POI's, but I can't zoom out beyond 20 miles (trying to select maps to download would be a problem) and the "Find" function no longer works. I can still "Find Near", but that's it - and it will only search in a finite radius. Still trying to get something to work, but I don't have much hope.

I - like many Goldwing owners - am not very happy with the support from Garmin. If we're lucky, we might get a map update every two years, then have to pay through the nose for it. It wasn't too bad when I could update my PC and GPS for about $100, but I can't even do that anymore. They (and Honda) have never been responsive to requests from users to make changes to the base operating system. To the best of my knowledge, there has only been one update to the software in all these years.

BTW - I contacted TomTom and asked if they had considered building a replacement unit for the Goldwing Nav system. They passed on the request to their R&D department, but nothing definite. According to their site, they update their maps every quarter - 8 times more frequently than Garmin - and seem to be responsive to the customer - at least they answered my email with a decent response. Talk to Honda about the Nav system and they say talk to Garmin. Talk to Garmin and they say talk to Honda. No one wants to accept responsibility. Maybe if enough riders contact TomTom and show interest they'll seriously consider making a replacment unit.

Sorry to rant, but this has got me frustrated...

Thanks

well for me, as far as my motor bike is concerned whenever i would need parts for it or whatever motor bike related, i would check it up online and look at sites for honda. honda is still the best for me and i wouldn't change anytime soon.

Eclipse CD7100
    Honda Motorcycle Parts
    Last edited by charlierickman; 25th January 2011 at 01:22.

The Batman is offline Private
    Thanks

Umm...that's nice...but what does it have to do with updated maps for a sub-standard GPS on the GL1800????

jinx is offline Corporal
    Thanks

mortimerr are you saying you found a program to convert the 2011nt map set to non-nt? If so would you please let me know what the program is and where you got it.
    I have an 06 and have already updated to 2009.

jinx is offline Corporal
    Thanks

firmware hacking

Have an 06 Honda Goldwing and would like to try to hack the firmware. Would
    appreciate any help/guidance in this endeavor.

The wing has a lockout on the nav. If you don't acknowledge the legal notice
    when you first turn on the ign and start moving the nav system is locked out
    completely. You must then stop the bike to turn the nav system on.

I would like to try and modify it so it acts like my nuvi 265. Have the legal notice time
    out and the nuv system come up.

thanks for any help

Thanks

Re: firmware hacking

jinx is offline Corporal
    Thanks

Re: Honda GL1800

That is a hardware hack. I already have something better than that. An easier way is to wire a relay to
    the reverse relay under the set. Set it to open the speed sense line when the RVS button is pressed.
    Works great and a lot less hacking.

I was more interested in modding the firmware to remove the lockout altogether.

Thank you for your reply.

Snake is offline Command Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Re: Honda GL1800

where i find new maps garmin non-NT for europe ??
    and the firmware update for honda goldwing CompactFlash version ?

thx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast