GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nüvi 680

TCIII is offline Staff Sergeant
    Thanks

nüvi 680

Anybody out there have a 680....I have loaded redlight/speed cams on many 350's and they work great. For the life of me I can't get them to "Function" on my 680.. They load fine and show up in PIO folder and show up in the 'Extras" button....but just won't function. Am I missing something or is the 680 incompatible?

Solved.....for anyone else with this problem......It ONLY will work if you load the POI's with Garmin POI loader.....any other method will not work....( Well in my 680 anyway)
    Last edited by TCIII; 3rd January 2011 at 15:59.

tiikki is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

Garmin Map Overflow Onto SD card

I own the Garmin Nuvi 680 which only supports map images of up to 2GB; and with the newest US/Canada City Navigator maps surpassing this 2GB limit, I understand you can somehow break it up so that a portion of the maps can be put onto an SD card, getting around this limitation.
    Could someone kindly point me into the right direction on how to go about achieving this? Thanks.

tli
    tli is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

Re: Garmin Map Overflow Onto SD card

Quote Originally Posted by tiikki View Post
    ... the newest US/Canada City Navigator maps surpassing this 2GB limit ...
    The entire CNNANT2011.40 mapset file is only about 1.33GB. There is no 2GB issue with CNNANT2011.40. It may not fit into the Nuvi 680's internal memory, but it definitely fits onto an external 2GB SD card, and the Nuvi 680 should recognize it without any problem.

If you wish to customize and selectively choose a subset of the maps, so to load a smaller mapset file into the Nuvi 680's internal memory and the rest of the maps onto a SD card, then you need to download, install and use the MapSource version of CNNANT2011.40 which can be easily found on the forums here.

tiikki is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tli View Post
    The entire CNNANT2011.40 mapset file is only about 1.33GB. There is no 2GB issue with CNNANT2011.40. It may not fit into the Nuvi 680's internal memory, but it definitely fits onto an external 2GB SD card, and the Nuvi 680 should recognize it without any problem.

If you wish to customize and selectively choose a subset of the maps, so to load a smaller mapset file into the Nuvi 680's internal memory and the rest of the maps onto a SD card, then you need to download, install and use the MapSource version of CNNANT2011.40 which can be easily found on the forums here.
    Yes, I was in reference to the internal memory; I failed to mention that. Also, it was the Europe maps 2011.40 of which I was also thinking of, that exceeds the 2GB image size. Thanks much.

nosha is offline Staff Sergeant
    Thanks

I don't know exactly how you do it, bu I've been told if you download the mapsource version you can then delete the maps/countries you don't want, so reducing the size to under 2gb, if there are maps that you deleted but may want; these can then be stored on the SD card... or you can do what I did and download the smaller 2010.32 unlocked version by rnash which fits straight onto an SD card, and will even fit on the internal memory at only 1.7gb - it worked first time on my Nuvi 660!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nosha View Post
    I don't know exactly how you do it, bu I've been told if you download the mapsource version you can then delete the maps/countries you don't want, so reducing the size to under 2gb, if there are maps that you deleted but may want; these can then be stored on the SD card... or you can do what I did and download the smaller 2010.32 unlocked version by rnash which fits straight onto an SD card, and will even fit on the internal memory at only 1.7gb - it worked first time on my Nuvi 660!!

I too would like to know how to do this, as I have an old streetpilot c550 that I'm trying to load the Europe maps on to an SD card, but the file is larger than 2GB.
    I'd like to remove a few countries to get the image under 2GB and load on the card. Anybody know an easy way to do this?

Thanks in advance

Airion is offline Global Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,997 Times in 512 Posts

In Mapsource window - click on the polygon squares of the countries " one by one" that you want.
    Transfer direct to a folder or sdcard to check its size first.
    Before you do a transfer into device or sdcard.
    No point storing countries that you are not likely to use.
    I don't think that there is better way than this.

Tiger is offline Colonel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by euro View Post
    I too would like to know how to do this, as I have an old streetpilot c550 that I'm trying to load the Europe maps on to an SD card, but the file is larger than 2GB.
    I'd like to remove a few countries to get the image under 2GB and load on the card. Anybody know an easy way to do this?

Thanks in advance
    To clarify a bunch of little things....

The general problem you are trying to solve is that the IMG file you download is either to large for either you GPS or your SD card.

The solution you need is Mapsource and a different IMG. You mentioned "remove countries you don't want" to reduce the size of the IMG file. This is incorrect and I'll try to explain what is necessary.

When you download an IMG that is to large, there is no practical way to reduce it's size. That IMG "it is what it is" and you really need to create a "custom" IMG if you want a smaller file tailored to your personal needs. That downloaded "gmapsupp.img" (or "gmapprom.img") IMG is a set of "compiled" maps that was output/created from some software such as Garmin Mapsource or similar program. Lets stick with Mapsource for the moment.

Mapsource is Garmin PC tool that reads some collection maps DESIGNED AS MAPSOURCE as input and can't be used directly in a GPS. Using Mapsource, you can select any combination of map segments/pieces to build what is called a "custom mapset". This gives full control of the content and size of the maps you want. So.... You don't "remove countries", you simply leave them out in the first place.

Once you have created a custom mapset and named it as you wish, you use Mapsource to "transfer to the device". The device is typically your GPS or SD card (or possibly even a PC hard drive if you used a pached version of Mapsource). When you instruct Mapsource to "transfer to device" it first compiles all the maps in your mapset into a single IMG file and the automatically sends it to the Garmin directory of your selected device. The IMG is named "gmapsupp.img" That's all there is to it.

About your map download choices: You typically see 4 typs of things posted in forums which can be downloaded.

1. IMG (Locked). An IMG is a set of compiled maps that can ONLY be used by GPS. It must be saved either IN the GPS or on your GPS data card. The fact that it is "Locked" means you will need to come up with a unique product unlock key to use it with your GPS, otherwise the GPS will simply report "Can't Unlock Maps" or something to that effect.

2. IMG (Unlocked). This is identical in content to a "locked" IMG except it does NOT require an unlock key to be used with ANY GPS or data card, when loaded, it works.

3. Mapsource (Locked). This is a collection of "uncompiled" maps that are used as input files to mapsource. They can NOT be used in the GPS. You use these files with Mapsource to create your custom IMG files (gmapsupp.img for use with the GPS or data card). The fact that they are "Locked" means you will need to come up with a unique product unlock KEY to access them in Mapsource, otherwise Mapsource will report "Can't Unlock Maps" or something to that effect. Because a KEY is involved, a gmapsupp.img created will only be unlocked when used with the device that matches the KEY used to unlock the maps in mapsource.

4. Mapsource (Unlocked). These map data files are identical in content to their Mapsource "locked" counterparts except that you do not need an unlock key to use them with mapsource. Once loaded into mapsource, they simply work. Furthermore, any "gmapsupp.img" created with unlocked Mapsource maps will also be "unlocked" and not require a key.

Notes:
    1. When you download mapsource maps, sometimes the download includes the Mapsource program as well as the map data but often it includes only the Mapsource "Map Data" in which case you must have Mapsource already installed on your PC or go get it.

2. Mapsource always generates/creates a file named "gmapsupp.img" and copies it to a "garmin" folder on the selected device (GPS or Data Card). If the garmin folder is not there, Mapsource first creates it. The name "gmapsupp.img" is a name used for "supplementry" maps. Supplementry maps are used in addition to you default "pre-installed" maps which are named "gmapprom.img" or possibly "gmapprom1.img".

3. As an FYI - If you wish to update your pre-installed maps rather than simply adding the new maps you can simply replace/update your pre-installed maps by deleting tour "gmapprom.img" and renaming "gmapsupp.img" to "gmapprom.img". The location of your pre-installed maps varies by GPS model.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. SO if I understand you correctly, I need a different europe file (either IMG or mapsource) and unlocked? Correct?
    I do have mapsource installed on my pc (version 6.16.3) which way is easiest in terms if installing?

Tiger is offline Colonel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by euro View Post
    Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. SO if I understand you correctly, I need a different europe file (either IMG or mapsource) and unlocked? Correct?
    I do have mapsource installed on my pc (version 6.16.3) which way is easiest in terms if installing?
    Yes, you want something different.

The "easiest" way is to find an unlocked IMG small enough to fit but meet your needs.

But by far, the most flexable is to get the entire Mapsource (unlocked) and create a custom IMG (or as many special versions as you like).

Either method works, it's really a personal choice. Getting "unlocked" will save you having to learn and run a couple other tools as well.
    Last edited by Tiger; 2nd April 2011 at 17:02.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast