Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: nüvi 255/255W

Thanks

Question Zip search missing after 2012.4 map update

Hey guys,

I have a problem with my two gps 255 and 255w that I am upgrading with north america 2012.4. The update works fine but I lost the ability to search by zip codes.

When I put back the original map, the search by zip code becomes available again. I also cannot run both maps at the same time. It's either the older 2010.1 map with zip search (with no external card) or 2012.4 with no zip search (when card inserted).

I have done this on the gps memory or on the external flash card with the exact same result.

Anyone knows how to fix this ?

I have try many time to search on the forum about this issue but I cannot pin point the exact question where I find every post that containt words "zip" "postal" "code" "missing" and it return way too many result to find the exact issue...

Thanks !

Tiger is offline Colonel
    Thanks

Re: Zip search missing after 2012.4 map update

Quote Originally Posted by Alezis View Post
    Hey guys,

I have a problem with my two gps 255 and 255w that I am upgrading with north america 2012.4. The update works fine but I lost the ability to search by zip codes.

When I put back the original map, the search by zip code becomes available again. I also cannot run both maps at the same time. It's either the older 2010.1 map with zip search (with no external card) or 2012.4 with no zip search (when card inserted).

I have done this on the gps memory or on the external flash card with the exact same result.

Anyone knows how to fix this ?

I have try many time to search on the forum about this issue but I cannot pin point the exact question where I find every post that containt words "zip" "postal" "code" "missing" and it return way too many result to find the exact issue...

Thanks !
    searches will not work correctly with 2 maps enabled if they have overlapping geographical coverage. Disable 2010.1 and try 2012.4 again.

I know for a fact that zip searches work perfectly with 2012.40 in a 765, 750, and 200 although a 3 models have different user interfaces which is a firmware difference. You may have a .IMG that was improperly created using the gmaptool and mapsource. I suspect you may have a bad IMG if zips work with the old maps but not the new ones.
    Last edited by Tiger; 6th May 2012 at 14:15.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    searches will not work correctly with 2 maps enabled if they have overlapping geographical coverage. Disable 2010.1 and try 2012.4 again.

I know for a fact that zip searches work perfectly with 2012.40 in a 765, 750, and 200 although a 3 models have different user interfaces which is a firmware difference. You may have a .IMG that was improperly created using the gmaptool and mapsource. I suspect you may have a bad IMG if zips work with the old maps but not the new ones.
    Thanks Tiger for the reply (and sorry for double posting...)

The img file I have DOES work fine with zip code search on a nuvi 765t (as stated by you too) but the exact same file does not seem to be working on both my 255 and 255w... could it be related to the 255x models that cannot handle the new 2012.4 then ?

And just to add about having two maps at the same time, it seems that even though I leave the 255 orginal 2010.1 in the gps, as soon I insert the sd card with the 2012.4 map, the old 2010.1 disapear from the map selection. I cannot see both displayed and only check one of them. It's either one or the other even though both maps are in the gps...

I have also removed the 2010.1 img file and replace it with the 2012.4 img file and same result.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions... if you have any other idea, let me know so I can try something different...

Alezis

Tiger is offline Colonel
    Thanks

Thanks Tiger for the reply (and sorry for double posting...)

The img file I have DOES work fine with zip code search on a nuvi 765t (as stated by you too) but the exact same file does not seem to be working on both my 255 and 255w... could it be related to the 255x models that cannot handle the new 2012.4 then ?

And just to add about having two maps at the same time, it seems that even though I leave the 255 orginal 2010.1 in the gps, as soon I insert the sd card with the 2012.4 map, the old 2010.1 disapear from the map selection. I cannot see both displayed and only check one of them. It's either one or the other even though both maps are in the gps...

I have also removed the 2010.1 img file and replace it with the 2012.4 img file and same result.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions... if you have any other idea, let me know so I can try something different...

Alezis
    I'm really surprised that it works in a 200 but not in a 255. Only other thing I can think od is using the web updater to make sure you have the latest firmware.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    I'm really surprised that it works in a 200 but not in a 255. Only other thing I can think od is using the web updater to make sure you have the latest firmware.

Thanks Tiger for the reply,

That has also been done. Update firmware before copying the 2012.4 map and I also done it after installing the 2012.4 map with the exact same result.

Do you think the gmapprom.sum file could be the problem ? That is the only file I did not change and left it as is. Maybe it's causing a conflict ? I am not sure what that gmapprom.sum file does but it dates from 2009.

I did not touch that .sum file in the 765t and the zip search work fine...

I am wondering if other people with 255/255w with the 2012.4 file have the same issue ?

Thanks for your help and comments...

Tiger is offline Colonel
    Thanks

Thanks Tiger for the reply,

That has also been done. Update firmware before copying the 2012.4 map and I also done it after installing the 2012.4 map with the exact same result.

Do you think the gmapprom.sum file could be the problem ? That is the only file I did not change and left it as is. Maybe it's causing a conflict ? I am not sure what that gmapprom.sum file does but it dates from 2009.

I did not touch that .sum file in the 765t and the zip search work fine...

I am wondering if other people with 255/255w with the 2012.4 file have the same issue ?

Thanks for your help and comments...
    The .SUM file is a checksum file generated by the GPS and has nothing to do with your problem. You can delete it if you like, it will eventually come back, either way it doesn't matter.

Thanks

Have a Nuvi 255W which boots to a white screen. Can see the contents via USB (looks like a prior update or map installation failed) but it only shows about 1gb of onboard memory. (actually 980 MB.) Wondering if I have lost a gigabyte or did any units (overseas models ?) ship with just 1gb of memory plus the SD slot. Looks to be Malay maps on it now.

helan is offline Private
    Thanks

Not enough space for a new map in Nuvi255W

I have a Nuvi255 that i updated a few times in the past including na2012.40. But now when i want to install 2013.10 map, i get the message that my Nuvi doesn't have enough space (20 meg short). I have already updated my 265WT to 2013.10. So, what to do?

Tiger is offline Colonel
    Thanks

Re: Not enough space for a new map in Nuvi255W

Quote Originally Posted by helan View Post
    I have a Nuvi255 that i updated a few times in the past including na2012.40. But now when i want to install 2013.10 map, i get the message that my Nuvi doesn't have enough space (20 meg short). I have already updated my 265WT to 2013.10. So, what to do?

The best choice is to get the cheapest SD card you can find (2 or 4 gig is adequate) and put the map on the card as
    sd:\garmin\gmapsupp.img
    This way you have plenty of space for this and furure updates for your 255. It will really extend the life of your GPS in terms of future map updates as they become trivial.

The other thing is start removing other files to try and free up enough space (you can get these all back with the webupdater). You can get rid of
    1. all the voice files except for the one or 2 you use
    2. get rid of all the help files except for the language you may want to keep
    3. get rid of any vehicles you don't use
    4. get rid of any photos "jpg"s you don't use
    5. get rid of the file gupdate.gcd (the update file that's left when you update formware).

OR

You can download a smaller collection/version of the maps and use them. Full North America maps include US + CANADA + Mexico + a bunch of Islands and you could easily fit US or CAN (or perhaps both) in your device.

When the maps start to outgrow your available space, the SD card solution is better in the long run and small capacity cards a so cheap these days.
    Last edited by Tiger; 9th June 2012 at 18:20.

helan is offline Private
    Thanks

Re: Not enough space for a new map in Nuvi255W

Thank you Tiger. I think i will get a SD card. But then, do I have to erase the map file on the GPS to make the card active?

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast