GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE

Thread: GPSMAP 740/740s

Thanks

GPSMAP 740/740s

Hi, all. New user here...

First, thank you all for sharing. This site has been a great resource for me.

I downloaded the files for the unlocked VUS010R and transferred the IMG to the SD card correctly. After booting my GPSMAP 740s, the Vision map displays the satellite images and all seems to be functioning correctly. However, the water isn't a satellite picture. It is instead, the typical blue image for water that Garmin uses. Is this normal/correct? Or, should the GPSMAP 740s with the unlocked version of VUS010R be displaying a satellite image for the water/ocean? Is this a setting somewhere on the GPS? Also, how do I display the port photos and such? (where is the option?)

Thanks again!

saumon is offline Private
    Thanks

Can you load and access different .img files on a GPSMAP 700 series?

Hi,

I've ordered but not yet received a GPSMAP 740s marine chartplotter and wonder if it support and can access multiples image sets (like the Oregon) and, if so, if it need a particular naming convention (gmapsupp, gmapsup1, gmapprom) or they can be named "whatever.img"? I have a handfull (Bluechart g2Vision, g2 non-Vision, Topos 1/20000, Trak Marine) of mapsets and want to know if, to the opposite, like the older units it recognize only a gmapsupp.img file, in which case I'll have to either merge all of them in a single file or, if it's too big, put them on differents SD cards.

Thanks.

saumon is offline Private
    Thanks

Re: Can you load and access different .img files on a GPSMAP 700 series?

Update: I received and installed the unit. It appear that the GPSMAP 700 series doe not support multiple .img files. Whatever I put on the SD card, it only load one supplemental map files, i.e. the one named gmapsupp.img so, I haven't messed with merging different mapsets onto one .img file because of the potential drawing priority problems, and simply put my various mapsets on different SD cards. Work great!