Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 'MapSelect': a new program to select maps in your Garmin or storage card

wwoef is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

'MapSelect': a new program to select maps in your Garmin or storage card

Summary
    'MapSelect' is nice program that allows you to use multiple maps on your Garmin device or on your storage card.
    The number of valid maps is determined by your Garmin, so you can't use more maps simultaneously, but it allows you to easily select from a number of maps on your device or storage card.

Description
    One problem with Garmin devices is that very few filenames are accepted as valid map names. Normally MapSource creates a map called 'gmapsupp.img'. Also unlocked maps are also mainly offered under the same name.
    A good example: on a N�vi device with storage card of 4G, only one map will be found: 'gmapsupp.img'! Internally also the mapsnames gmapprom.img and gmapprom1.img are allowed.

I wanted more maps available on my Garmin, but also an easy way to select them. So, I wrote a PC program that makes it easy to select from up to ten maps on a Garmin device and storage card.
    The trick now is to give your maps names that are a bit different such as gmapsupa.img, gmapsupb.img etc. Then the program 'MapSelect' allows you to rename them to maps that Garmin sees as valid.

As a bonus, the program can edit the map name embedded in the file!

The rar file contains the program plus a document with detailed description how to use it....

Good luck to all and comments are highly appreciated!

QS
    Last edited by wwoef; 2nd May 2011 at 13:03. Reason: Updated figure link
    djfeedback, ionas, jjan and 6 others like this.

timp4411 is offline Staff Sergeant
    Thanks

Re: 'MapSelect': a new program to select maps in your Garmin or storage card

wwoef,

This is excatly the thing I have been struggling with lately on my 76CSx and Oregon 400 when I have several g2 Bluechart images loaded on a MemCard.

I have been renaming them as needed, but this will make it easier.

I can't wait to start to play around with the program.

I'll let you know how things go with it.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by wwoef View Post
    One problem with Garmin devices is that very few filenames are accepted as valid map names. Normally MapSource creates a map called 'gmapsupp.img'. Also unlocked maps are also mainly offered under the same name.
    A good example: on a Nvi device with storage card of 4G, only one map will be found: 'gmapsupp.img'! Internally also the mapsnames gmapprim.img and gmapprom1.img are allowed.

I wanted more maps available on my Garmin, but also an easy way to select them. So, I wrote a PC program that makes it easy to select from up to ten maps on a Garmin device and storage card.
    The trick now is to give your maps names that are a bit different such as gmapsupa.img, gmapsupb.img etc. Then the program 'MapSelect' allows you to rename them to maps that Garmin sees as valid.

As a bonus, the program can edit the map name embedded in the file!

The rar file contains the program plus a document with detailed description how to use it....

Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/407234658/mapselect.rar.html
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TX2NPRJ7
    Good luck to all and comments are highly appreciated!

QS

HaTeVe is offline Corporal
    Thanks

On the Oregon you can give the maps any name you like, as long as it has the img extension. e.g.: Northsea.img or Europe.img etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HaTeVe View Post
    On the Oregon you can give the maps any name you like, as long as it has the img extension. e.g.: Northsea.img or Europe.img etc.
    HaTeVe,

I didn't know that ! It's a handy bit of information to know.

Thanks for that tip.

Airion is offline Global Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,904 Times in 504 Posts

Your program is very interesting.

Thanks
    Last edited by Airion; 17th July 2010 at 06:17.

Thanks

There is a minor update to the program: it crashed when a \garmin folder didn't contain a valid image file.
    If any more problems pop - please PM me!
    QS

HKRen is offline Corporal
    Thanks

I am running my Garmin on a PND (WinCE). I think the program is not too useful to me since it is a PC based package.

It would be best if the MapSelect can be transplanted to the WinCE format, so that I can change the maps on my PND.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HKRen View Post
    It would be best if the MapSelect can be transplanted to the WinCE format, so that I can change the maps on my PND.
    Dear HKRen,
    It is an option, yes, but only for the people that use Garmin XT. I have, so far, no experience with writing programs for Win CE, but who knows I may one day give it a try.
    The maps are always on a memory card - the internal working memory is simply too small. So you really should get the storage card out and insert it in a card reader...
    By the way, in your case, both gmapsupp.img as well as gmapsup2.img can be used by Garmin.
    Who knows, one day I'll find the trick also to check devices that are connected via ActiveSync... then no more card swapping is needed!
    Good luck!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HaTeVe View Post
    That's true on the Oregon... BUT... if you try to get HomePort to see the charts by reading them from your unit, unless it is named gmapsupp.img, all that will show up in HomePort is "user Data" and it will not load the image from the GPS into HomePort.

HKRen is offline Corporal
    Thanks

By the way, in your case, both gmapsupp.img as well as gmapsup2.img can be used by Garmin.
    Who knows, one day I'll find the trick also to check devices that are connected via ActiveSync... then no more card swapping is needed!
    Good luck![/QUOTE]

Hi wwoef

Thanks very much for your attention.

My Garmin Mobile XT on WinCE uses gmapprom.img as its first map, and gmapsupp.img as the second map. I believe it does not suport the 3rd map.

I have in fact got one WinCE package in this forum (before it was hacked) which can be used in my PND for map select. It works yet with some minor bug.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast