GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE

Thread: Handling of POIs on Garmin

radijator123 is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

Handling of POIs on Garmin

I have a few questions regarding to how POI files are managed on Garmin devices and would appreciate if someone could clarify it for me (and everybody else)

Let's say I downloaded 20 or more different POIs (Speedcams, Petrol stations, restaurants..... for several countries) from Poi Plaza or some other place and I transfer them to my Garmin device through Garmin POI Loader software.

1. How does my Garmin device know that csv file with speed cameras is a speedcam file and that it should warn me when I'm near one?
    Here is an example from a csv file for Austria I opened with MS Excel "10.27326, 47.13196, F-60, A-Nasserein@60" (it's all in one cell, each camera is in another line)
    Does this @60 trigger the warning?

2.Does it bundle all my POI files into one file when I transfer them to my device?

3. Does it rewrite my previous POI files I transfered that way or does it add them to existing POIs?

And something that's been bothering me for a while now:
    Not having the option to find the petrol stations along my route is pretty stupid and not user friendly at all.
    When I search "near where I am now" and look for petrol stations, it should at least somehow differentiate the stations that ARE on my route from the ones that are NOT.
    Or maybe my software version is too old?
    Last edited by radijator123; 14th May 2010 at 10:01.

zuzka is offline Corporal
    Thanks

Re: Handling of POIs on Garmin

Quote Originally Posted by radijator123 View Post
    Does this @60 trigger the warning?
    yep, 60 mph or kph. Better use manual mode so you can assign units yourself.

2.Does it bundle all my POI files into one file when I transfer them to my device?
    It is possible.

3. Does it rewrite my previous POI files I transfered that way or does it add them to existing POIs?
    It creates x:\Garmin\Poi\poi.gpi file. If you have that already then it will be deleted and replaced with the new one. Germin understands any name for *.gpi file.

Not having the option to find the petrol stations along my route is pretty stupid and not user friendly at all.
    May I ask why do you think garmin is incapable of doing that?

When I search "near where I am now" and look for petrol stations, it should at least somehow differentiate the stations that ARE on my route from the ones that are NOT.

The option at the bottom of the screen is what you are looking for.
    Last edited by zuzka; 17th May 2010 at 13:42.

radijator123 is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zuzka View Post
    It creates x:\Garmin\Poi\poi.gpi file. If you have that already then it will be deleted and replaced with the new one. Germin understands any name for *.gpi file.
    So if I rename my old poi.gpi file to poi1.gpi before transferring new POIs it should recognize my previous and new POIs?

Quote Originally Posted by zuzka View Post

The option at the bottom of the screen is what you are looking for.
    Yeah, that's the one that's been killing me, I obviously have outdated software.
    Thanks for clarifying that to me.

Aardvark is offline Corporal
    Thanks

1. How does my Garmin device know that csv file with speed cameras is a speedcam file and that it should warn me when I'm near one?
    From the Garmin POI Loader page is this additional information:

If there is speed and proximity alert information contained in your data files, POI Loader can automatically detect it by looking for key information. POI Loader checks the file name for valid speed information and keywords to indicate proximity alerts (for example, "redlight," "camera," or "safety"). If the speed or proximity information in the data file is missing or incomplete, POI Loader assumes the file is a regular POI file.
    See http://www8.garmin.com/products/poil...#understanding

zuzka is offline Corporal
    Thanks

So if I rename my old poi.gpi file to poi1.gpi before transferring new POIs it should recognize my previous and new POIs?
    Right you are