Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: How to Update Maps on your Device

Tiger is offline Major
    Thanks

Re: How to Update Maps on your Device

Quote Originally Posted by koren View Post
    Hi! I'm also new here and didn't have any idea how to update my maps before this post. Thank you for the brief explanation but I still have some questions. I own Garmin GVN53 (the "black box") and I didn't have a map update for around 5 years on it.
    I cannot post a new thread here as well yet, so I guess I'll ask couple of questions here and then will open a new thread in the Garmin devices section.
    First, as far as I understood in order to get an update of the maps you have to connect the device to the computer, otherwise you cannot change the file names or replace existing files with a new ones, right? Now most of the Garmin devices have its own source of power but not mine. So should I have to connect USB cable together with the power cable running from the battery of my car or just the USB cable would be enough to access Garmin folders?
    Second, It doesn't say for example in North American maps which devices it is compatible with. So would those maps work on GVN 53?

Thanks in advance!
    Well, I know nothing about a GVN53 but I think I can help with the maps.... I looked at the specs for your device here:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=10573&ra=true

And under the Map compatability tab it shows that your device can use NT Maps and it it seems to indicate buying them on SD which suggests to me that you can put the lates maps from here on an SD card, plug it in and it should work. So here is how.

For North America all you need is a cheap 2gig SD card. It doesn't state if a 4 gig card will work in that unit (you might call garmin if you want that question answered).

You will want to find a link to the maps here and download them. The latest maps will be "City Navigtor North America 2012.2" and you will want to download the UNLOCKED IMG. That will get you your maps. Your maps will be in a single file named either "gmapprom.img" or "gmapsupp.img" and be about 1.5gig in size.

The map file must be named "gmapsupp.img" for use on an SD card so if you happen to download "gmapprom.img", just rename it.

Take you SD card and check format (format must be FAT or FAT32 for a garmin).

Create a folder on the SD called "Garmin" and copy the map file "gmapsupp.img" into the garmin folder so you end up with this path on your SD:
    x:\Garmin\gmapsupp.img

Your SD is now ready to plug and play in the GVN53.

If you run into a "can't unlock maps" problem get back here and we can probably sort that out also with the creation of a "gmapsupp.unl" file on the SD card. That would not be an issue on a Nuvi but the GVN53 may require in unlock file of some sort.

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up. I called Garmin and they said any SD card up to 16 gig will work. Downloading the maps now. Will tell you later if it worked!!

BAILEY2005 is offline Private
    Thanks

Will a GPSMAP420S run unlocked maps by just loading the unlocked .img file into the Garmin Folder or will I have to create an unlock code and store in UNL file?

Thanks

Downloaded and installed! Everything working fine! Thank you! No unlock codes or anything like that needed!

wggutierrez is offline Private
    Thanks

This is very helpful.. thanks..

Tiger is offline Major
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BAILEY2005 View Post
    Will a GPSMAP420S run unlocked maps by just loading the unlocked .img file into the Garmin Folder or will I have to create an unlock code and store in UNL file?
    I don't know the answer for cetain but I believe it will work without an unlock file.

Why don't you just try it yourself and see? There's no harm in doing some experimentation.

It will simply work or it won't
    Last edited by Tiger; 1st October 2011 at 00:47.

Thanks

I am new to this forum. I own Nuvi 265WT and I have same problem
    "If you run into a "can't unlock maps" problem get back here and we can probably sort that out also with the creation of a "gmapsupp.unl" file on the SD card."
    What do you mean or how to create a "gmapsupp.unl" file on the SD card.
    Thanks

Kor@l is offline Global Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,839 Times in 439 Posts

If you run into a "can't unlock maps" problem it mean that the map is locked or the unlock proces failed
    Use the tools(fast image unlock or G. unlocker alternative to unlock the map) only "old" devices that haven't GMA protection can use the xxxx.UNL file to unlock the map.

al2
    al2 is offline Corporal
    Thanks

devices with 3D buildings support, can rename in
    gmap3d1.img (5° map)

WHAT about two more 3D map, how to name additional 3D maps.

bdegps is offline Private
    Thanks

I just got a new Nuvi 3490. I belive they have hidden the maps somewhere else. And the divices do not work any more with mapsource. It only detects it with Basecamp. As anyone figure out what we have to do now with this new devices???

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast