Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: How to Update Maps on your Device

Kor@l is offline Global Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,787 Times in 438 Posts

How to Update Maps on your Device

This is a simple guide for all people that never updated the Garmin device.

Befor procced remember the FIRST RULE
    .: ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR DEVICE BEFORE UPDATING :.

Garmin maps are .IMG files, so if you download some file named gmapprom.img or gmapsupp.img you don’t have to do something more, just use this file like they are (you don’t have to mount or burn this IMG files)
    In some threads you will find LOCKED and UNLOCKED IMG(map) files, you can use several TOOLS to unlock a locked map, is your choice, the unlocked maps are Copy&Go.

There are different ways to update the map, it depends on your Garmin device.
    • The New Garmin Series (1xxx/2xxx/37xx and 2012 models)

In this devices you will find built-in maps in .System folder, this is a hidden system folder and you have to enable the view of this folder in:
    Tools\Folder Options\View – Select Show hidden files, folders and drives
    Tools\Folder Options\View – Uncheck Hidde protected operating system file (Recommended)

OR

Control Panel\Folder Options\View – Select Show hidden files, folders and drives
    Control Panel\Folder Options\View – Uncheck Hidde protected operating system file (Recommended)

2012 device are connected in MTP mode(Yellow connect screen image), all new models have this connection by default, you have to do like this:

Enter volume screen and pres the right up corner of the screen about 10sec
    Devloper screen will popup, scroll down to MTP Settings
    Change settings to Mass Storage
    Shootdown and connect with your PC,
    now you will have full acces to .System folder and other files.
    To update this devices you can:
    1 - Replace the original map (gmapprom.img) with the one downloaded, you can rename the downloaded map in gmapprom.img if it is named gmapsupp.img
    2 – You can create a folder called Map in the root and put the map file inside. The files in Map folder can be renamed as you wish and you can put more than one map in this folder.
    Example: “X” is your Garmin driver
    X:\Map\gmapsupp.img
    X:\Map\Europe.img
    X:\Map\NorthAmerica.img
    X:\Map\XXXXX.img

You can do the same in SD card
    SD:\Map\gmapsupp.img
    SD:\Map\Europe.img
    SD:\Map\NorthAmerica.img
    SD:\Map\XXXXX.img
    3 – You can use the Garmin folder in SD but you can use only one map, named gmapsupp.img
    • Other Garmin Devices

In other garmin devices is not present the .System folder , all the maps will be inside Garmin folder, the same here gmapprom.img map is the original pre-installed map
    To update this devices you can:
    1 - Replace the original map (gmapprom.img) with the one downloaded, you can rename the downloaded map in gmapprom.img if it is named gmapsupp.img
    2 – You can use the downloaded map named gmapsupp.img just copy inside Garmin folder.
    3 – If you want to have more maps in your device you can rename maps file in:
    gmapprom.img (original map/ or renamed new map)
    gmapsupp.img (2° map)
    gmapprom1.img (3° map)
    gmapoem.img (4° map – can’t be unselected)
    devices with 3D buildings support, can rename in
    gmap3d1.img (5° map)
    4 – Using a SD card
    Format in Fat32 your SD card and create a Garmin folder. Copy the gmapsupp.img inside the Garmin folder. You can use only one map in SD card.
    You can have 2 maps named gmapsupp.img one in device and one in the SD card. It can help if you can’t put a full Europe map and you need a <2GB map. Copy the big one in SD and the rest usually a small file in Device, go in Setting\Map\Info and select both maps this way you will have a full coverage of Europe.
    • Garmin MobileXT

In garmin MobileXT maps goes in Garmin folder in Device/SD. Remember that you can’t use maps bigger than 2GB.
    You can use maps named:
    gmapprom.img
    gmapsupp.img
    gmapsup2.img

You will find the maps installed in your MobileXT in Tools\Manage My Data\Map Sets
    If you click MapSource you can Select/Unselect the maps you want to use.
    • Garmin MobilePC

Garmin MobliPC have the same settings and maps as MobileXT
    The maps goes in GarminMobilePC folder (this folder is created during the installation)

Free to add more details if i'm missing something and......
    Sorry my english
    Last edited by Kor@l; 5th May 2012 at 20:18.
    grn, dejanlu, bergfalke and 55 others like this.

2. The Following 339 Users Say Thank You to Kor@l For This Useful Post:

2ptaks, 3dward, 426hemi, 4cloud9, 4me2c, abalmelo, adebisi, afierro, AgentOrange12, Agram65, aleks_m, Alex Ciobanu, alexphm, Alphabet, amra71, amstel, Andrei60, andrejp, anevtelenvar, angust63, asprin624, b153r, baby face, bam-bam, barinji, basile27ro, bastardsxs, bcook007, beleg23, benjiscan, bica, bicholas, BiFiGPS, BigInJapan, BigMac, bigwoof, Bilbobaggins, bjjfc, blbi51, Bleep55, bmn3, boetvisagie, bonkers69, borceg, Branco80, brawngp, brian351, brscnr, burfadel, b_ignatov, casaufficio, casio, charlie3627, charly_mike, chawming, chello, chumper, chupachu, Cliba393, clicktracy, CliffH, clio1, cmagalha, Cocopops5606, cocosbrood, corklanger, cristimoto, cut_la_roc, DarkDreams, Davis2, dcaprio, deitomas, dejanlu, Dekan54, dekkar, diburnside1972, dieselman, DMan999, dove_dv, drewk1, dtgiang, dtvdish, dubman1, Ducky509, dunz, ecschnei, edgelldj, eljuero, Emanef, emiliospost, emisant, emmsee, engineer, Esat, europalace, ezrider, fabrizior, Fadolf, fluent, francoforte, frankeboy, Fred2, funcy2, Funkwarrior, G755T, gaff, galui, garjim, garmad, garminservice, GenChick, Geody, george1222, gnulab, Graham Brown, greyman7772, grn, gsmplus, gt3fan, guru, Gwy, harold2, harvish, hazx, helnasharty, hihats, hishai, hlay, hormigon, hugmax, hugothedog, huhu, I'mLost!!!, ibar, Ichi, innes151, ionas, ionutzdan02, ipillo, iqbalh, J805, jamc, Jardim, jhar662007, jiteshkv, joaomp, JOKAZLA, jorgesibiu, jreyez, juangiluruguay, Juergen_33, justinyicheng, k0pc1n4, kaabob, Katy_Did, kleobis, knccjsk, kodrov, koon, korenino, kosyasstr, KroniK, krungbin, kultrax, l-13, Ladinos, Lecreux, lester151, lmcradu, lobo89, lord of blood, Lost66, lrma, luckypatak, madreece, Mahimahi, Makibernet, mamyja, marco2323, Mathiotte, mawie, maxipuiu, mayersari, mhpandya, MIKEPT, Minde_5, MindTheOranges, mirekbor, monster2009, MoroMoro, motonick, mpanta, mpoezz, mrgodlike, MrJile, mrmullad, muddyfrog, MUHA, musst, mzhu, Nabukodonosor, neab, necko22, nekonegde, Nick33, nickos, niebes, Nirvana89, nitinule, njakov, noruego, oldie, omegadan, onespot, ongow, optip, oxili, paco1967, paffendorfbg, Pajero3, pajser, pantzernick, papito, paulsas, pc-teknician, PCuba, peter1962it, PeterPerth, phaco, pianobar, pilot400, Pilou37, pitou36, Polin, Popell996, porti01, poupinou, praun, prronto, Psyentist, pukkapies, qgrubbs, Randi, ranke, RATIUS, reccah, regulator8, renot, res.q.guy, revslide, Rick77, rickbrittany, Ringo_TB, ritcrichard, robs1, Roccit, rogerlanhe, rolanocalhau, romi7519, Roquen, rover820, Roverron, runvs, sagasi2010, sagran, sbedic, Schweino, scobdog, seal777, Siesta, Signum2, Simon_FR, SinrG202, slav1971, Sliverz, sms341, smudger075, somelenk, Sparkrite, SSORT, stan51773, StarX, StKlaas, sug172, SundayDrive, susnjard, swifty, swiss, sysadm1, tenorman, tgd, theaxeman, thommo56, thongkh, Timee, tittib59, tnycman, tomgas, tomgun7, tomygurke, tornado4u2, toycor, tristen, turbozob, turnberry, twinny, Tyde, UbitedPirate, VI4RUS, vidjer, vikpaw, vincentwelk, Virtuos, vmile, wadcyr8_197, wavemix, weemick, werdeli, where am I, Widgeeman, Wing6, winnetou, winrar_686, wutcharush, xiahrj, XXSHARK, yadam, Yellowsuper, YFY, yogihh2000, yosarian, yun_wdp, zare34, zen45, zibek, zoofake, zorba anton, zuleya

Thanks

Re: How to Update Maps on your Device

many thanks for the notes.

Thanks

Thanks a ton !!Very valuable information !!

Slakass is offline Corporal
    Thanks

Confused. Instructions in this page says to just replace the map inside the Garmin folder in the root directory. Yet when I go to the maps page it says I should run CNNANT2012_10Update.msi in order to install the map (even says there's a tutorial on how to use it that I can't find).

So which is it, do I just replace the map or do I need to run the .msi app? If so, where do I find it - search says the word is too long and I can't locate it in the Tutorials page.
    Nuvi 255, bought it today and it has 2010.10 maps in it

Thanks

Thanks

Instructions in this page talk about the map file (IMG) use, CNNANT2012_10Update.msi is a mapsource installation (PC installation)
    Are 2 diferent things and 2 tutorials too.

This tutorial is created only for IMG files use and update.

somelenk is offline Private
    Thanks

Thanks for the tutorial, I'm new to GPS world and I have a question - I purchased 3790LMT, found *.img files in .System folder (North American). I don't need these maps for the near future, but I need European maps, I downloaded them from a thread in this forum, 6 in total, about 7GB in total size, only have about 4GB left on the device. Can I remove all North American files from .System folder to free up some space and put these 6 European maps into Map folder? Can it cause any problems?

Thanks

Also, I just put one of the maps from here: http://gpsunderground.com/forum/garm...ed-img%5D.html to a newly created Map folder on the device. I didn't touch anything in the .System folder. When I go to "My Maps" in 3790 I still can see original North American maps, but nothing new for Europe...

Thanks

Europe full maps is "only" 2.23 GB, there is not a 7GB map, if you have 6 RAR prts you hve to extract the IMG file inside RAR and will have only one gmapsupp.img file(the map), all maps are tested in 3790 so i think you aredoing something wrong, the Map folder in device must be in the root, dont create it inside Garmin folder in Device.
    N3790 can have both maps in device(8gb SSD)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kor@l For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you, Kor@l!
    Hmm, I'm looking here: http://gpsunderground.com/forum/garm...ed-img%5D.html
    There is a post by bam-bam dated 22nd July 2011 07:18.
    I clicked on East Eu (3 links) and West Eu(3 links). When I unzipped these 6 rar files, I've got 6 .img files, it was strange, because all img files from the first group have the same size, and all img files from second group have the same size... looks like I'm doing something wrong...

Thanks

May be I need to download these ones from item 3). ? There are 6 all them as well...
    CNEURONT_2012.20_FULL.part1.rar
    CNEURONT_2012.20_FULL.part2.rar
    CNEURONT_2012.20_FULL.part3.rar
    CNEURONT_2012.20_FULL.part4.rar
    CNEURONT_2012.20_FULL.part5.rar
    CNEURONT_2012.20_FULL.part6.rar

Or this one?
    GMAP3D.IMG UNLOCKED

Sorry, but I'm confused...
    AdamAdam and AngryOfMayfair like this.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to somelenk For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast