Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help with Mac OSX Lion

Tiger is offline Lieutenant Colonel
    Thanks

Re: Help with Mac OSX Lion

Quote Originally Posted by Pedestrian6 View Post
    I am new to this whole GPS thing, but finally got a unit. It seems to be a common problem from all the readings I have done over the past few days, but it seems there is little support for MAc OSX, other than installing a dual boot. Can any one help.

I have several maps downloaded .img files, and can't open them. I have base camp, but still no luck - doesn't want to open the .img file. Does anyone have any advice that i can take to resolve this issue. I want to load the map first to the computer so i can make a trail then upload to the 60CX.

Another point, I know the 60CX takes microSD cards, can I upload multiple maps on the SD card, or would I have to upload only one at a time.

Any help getting started would be much appreciated, I'm not computer illiterate, but this is just frustrating.

Thanks.
    Here is a link to a thread that discusses that series.
    GPSMAP 60CS/60CSx

I have neither a GPS like yours or a MAC but I'll toss 2 cents worth in.

Normally, the you can only put one "map file" on the SD/micro-SD for your device. That "map file" must be named "gmapsupp.img" and it must go in a "garmin" folder of the card. The path must be like this:
    x:\garmin\gmapsupp.img <---- for the GPS to see it

Those .IMG files are not readable on the PC either. They are strictly intended for use by the GPS. I believe you must first copy the IMG file to either a GPS or your microSD and then Basecamp can read it. I also don't use basecamp so I can't tell you what it's functionality is for working with your trails and saving them once you get it to display the map. I assume you have a MAC version of Basecamp.

If you have multiple IMG files there is a tool called "GMapTool.exe" that will allow you to combine/join multiple IMG files into a single "gmapsupp.img" required for use on your SD/micro-SD. The bad news is that is a PC only program and I don't think there is a MAC equivalent.

Thanks

Greatly appreciated. I will throw the maps on the GPS and then pull them into base camp. I will try to post my results here. Greatly appreciated.

TinusNL is offline Private
    Thanks

You can upload multiple maps but you have to do that at once. Just switch from country to country an make one new map and upload this file to your gamnin

Thanks

Re: unlocking maps with Mac osx

Quote Originally Posted by golpher View Post
    HI I have overcome the problem with unlocking maps for a Mac. But I now have this situation:- My Nuvi unit has a GMAPSUPP.IMG 220.7mb in size which must be the UK and IRELAND map that I created with Mapsource.

The 8gb SD card has a GMAPSUPP1.IMG 212gb in size Plus a GMAPSUPP2.IMG 211gb in size.

Now, when I open the Map info on the unit it shows CN EUROPE NT 2012.20 with a box in front so that you can select or de-select. and another showing [1] UK AND IRELAND which you can't select.

I am obviously doing something wrong but can someone tell me what, and how to correct it please.

Frank
    Please let us know how, I'm trying and just come up at the online unlock site all the time. I've downloaded the latest Topo 2012 maps for SA which I need to get onto my 60csx but stumped on how to continue. Been checking all the treads but help for Mac is scarce! Thanks

drlukas is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

Re: unlocking maps with Mac osx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12