Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help with Mac OSX Lion

golpher is offline Corporal
    Thanks

unlocking maps with Mac osx

How do you unlock maps if you have a Mac Osx? Because the only option you seem to have is to unlock online.
    Even using what I thought was an unlocked map.

Thanks

Re: unlocking maps with Mac osx

Surely there must be some Mac users out there who have come up against the same problem and have the answer.

Frank

ENDer2000 is offline Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Use Bootcamp and install Windows.

Thanks

I do have windows installed and use Parallels. The trouble is that for some reason it doesn't recognise the internet settings from the Mac so I can't update the Windows. That's why I wanted to use the Mac.
    The other problem was that Mapsource only sees the Nuvi unit and not the SD card.
    But thanks for your reply.

Frank

Thanks

HI I have overcome the problem with unlocking maps for a Mac. But I now have this situation:- My Nuvi unit has a GMAPSUPP.IMG 220.7mb in size which must be the UK and IRELAND map that I created with Mapsource.

The 8gb SD card has a GMAPSUPP1.IMG 212gb in size Plus a GMAPSUPP2.IMG 211gb in size.

Now, when I open the Map info on the unit it shows CN EUROPE NT 2012.20 with a box in front so that you can select or de-select. and another showing [1] UK AND IRELAND which you can't select.

I am obviously doing something wrong but can someone tell me what, and how to correct it please.

Frank

Tiger is offline Colonel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by golpher View Post
    HI I have overcome the problem with unlocking maps for a Mac. But I now have this situation:- My Nuvi unit has a GMAPSUPP.IMG 220.7mb in size which must be the UK and IRELAND map that I created with Mapsource.

The 8gb SD card has a GMAPSUPP1.IMG 212gb in size Plus a GMAPSUPP2.IMG 211gb in size.
    Just a nit, but I suspect you mean MB rather than GB in those 2 file sizes.

Now, when I open the Map info on the unit it shows CN EUROPE NT 2012.20 with a box in front so that you can select or de-select. and another showing [1] UK AND IRELAND which you can't select.
    This is normal.... This simply indicates that what you have loaded a "mapset" named UK AND IRELAND and that is from "map product" named CN EUROPE NT 2012.20. So by selecting the checkbox you got what you want. If you had multiple mapsets from that CN product there would be another for each entry and they would be individually selectable.

I am obviously doing something wrong but can someone tell me what, and how to correct it please.

Frank
    What model GPS are we talking about here? Perhaps the SD filnames or folders you used are incorrect as they now vary by Nuvi model.

For example....
    "Unless" your Nuvi is a 1xxx, 2xxx, 3xxx, etc, you can only have one map on SD/MicroSD regardless of the sise of the card and it must have the following path and filename name or the Nuvi will not see it.
    x:\garmin\gmapsupp.img

If you have a newer model like a 1xxx or higher you can have multiple maps on the SD/MicroSD but the path is different and should look like this:
    x:\map\file1.img the map filename can be anything you like.
    x:\map\file2.img
    x:\map\file3.img
    etc

also, see my note above in red.
    Last edited by Tiger; 3rd September 2011 at 16:33. Reason: more info

Thanks

Hi Tiger, thanks for your reply. I have a Nuvi 310 DL.

I re-named on of the maps on the SD card from GMAPSUPP1.IMG to GMAPSUPP.IMG.
    I now have CN EUROPE NT 2012.20
    [1] EUROPE
    [2] UK and IRELAND. Which I had before I changed the file no. to see if they would become selectable. I thought I was producing 2 maps,one for the UK and one for the rest of Europe.

But are you saying that my unit won't allow me to have 2 maps on the card? and what happens if I de-select the NT 2012.20 will the map inside the unit which I loaded for the UK still work?

I hope you understand my rather clumsy way of explaining what I've done.

Frank
    Last edited by golpher; 5th September 2011 at 10:02. Reason: added

Thanks

Question Garmin 750 help

My PC has died along with all my maps, so purchased a mac and am looking for help with getting city nav north america and garmin topo from this site onto my garmin using my new mac, i have been struggling for ahwile so any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way i am a new member and looking forward to learning and sharing with you guys......

Thanks

Re: Garmin 750 help

Any luck with Mac OSX? I have purchased a 60cs and am trying to get all the maps working properly on the mac prior to uploading to the GPS, and it seems like none of the .img files open on the mac. Is the only solution windows?

Thanks

Help with Mac OSX Lion

I am new to this whole GPS thing, but finally got a unit. It seems to be a common problem from all the readings I have done over the past few days, but it seems there is little support for MAc OSX, other than installing a dual boot. Can any one help.

I have several maps downloaded .img files, and can't open them. I have base camp, but still no luck - doesn't want to open the .img file. Does anyone have any advice that i can take to resolve this issue. I want to load the map first to the computer so i can make a trail then upload to the 60CX.

Another point, I know the 60CX takes microSD cards, can I upload multiple maps on the SD card, or would I have to upload only one at a time.

Any help getting started would be much appreciated, I'm not computer illiterate, but this is just frustrating.

Thanks.
    sn4k3d0c likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast