I had purchased LifeTime maps for both Europe and North America for a nuvi 770.
A short time later the GPS unit broke beyond repair. I then discovered two methods
That can be used to update maps on my new nuvi 1300 using the LifeTime maps from the broken nuvi 770.
Lucky for me I made a backup of nuvi 770 before the unit broke.
1. Fomat the 4GB SD card FAT32
2. Create folder \Garmin on the SD card
3. Copy file Garmindevice.xml from backup of nuvi 770 into the \Garmin folder of the SD Card.
4. Proceed with the map update using MapUpdater as normal. When it is finished, you will have
the map files in the \Garmin folder of the SD card. It will be named gmapprom.img
5. Rename map file in gmapprom.img to gmapsupp.img
6. Insert 4GB SD Card into GPS slot; now enjoy your fresh new map
This method works best because the nuvi 1300 needs support files.
Junction view (.jcv), TrafficTrends (.db), TimeZone map (.img)
1. Update the nuvi 1300 firmware using Garmin WebUpdater
2. Clone the nuvi 1300 by copy all files and directorys to a 4GB Pendrive
3. Open GarminDevice.xml file using MS Notepad change unit ID to match the broken nuvi 770
4. Proceed with the map update using MapUpdater as normal
5. Copy map and support files from Pendrive to nuvi 1300 internal memory
1. The map file gmapprom.img will be locked to the broken Garmin nuvi 770
2. Both methods can be used to download maps to MapSource or BaseCamp
3. Pendrive, Flash Drive or SD Memory Card can be used for both methods
4. Method 2 will only work if you change the unit ID, to that of the broken nuvi 770