GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: port splitter, What is the use of? Thanks.

101gps is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

port splitter, What is the use of? Thanks.

What is the use of port splitter? Thanks.

bib*oops is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

Re: port splitter, What is the use of? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 101gps View Post
    What is the use of port splitter? Thanks.
    A special designed app for sharing a gps port of a device between different gps apps, avoiding conflicts between apps themselves and/or device. For example using 2 or more gps apps( like Igo, garmin or other) in the same time may be very difficult to handle, even impossible sometimes, depending on certain factors.
    Examples: gpsplex, gpsgate, gpsmod & others.

AHMHeeren is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

Hi blb*oops,
    if you have some experience with port splitter, I have the following situation for you to look at.

My mio moov 500 is unlocked with MioPocket Lite.
    I found out that on the mio moov com1 is related to TMC_com, com2 to GPS_com and com3 to SIRFNAVDRV.

I run iGO and TomTom on it as well, they autodetect the gps receiver, so no problems here.
    With Garmin however it seems not possible to connect with the GPS receiver that is present.

With port splitter I can chose input between TMC_COM and SW_TMC COM1 with several options for baud rates.
    I can choose output between COM0, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 9, no the other ports can be selected.
    I tried all possible combinations, but using GARMIN I cannot get connected tot the gps receiver.

My question is now: how to use port splitter (or another piece of software) to get GARMIN connected to the gps-receiver in my mio moov ?

Suggestions are welcome !

Regards,
    Ton

Thanks

Red face Re: port splitter, What is the use of? Thanks.

Thanks for the explanation.
    Could you show me how to use it?
    I, same as AHMHeeren member, use Moov500 and running different gps softwares for fun. Igo, Amigo and Mio2008 (comes with the gps) run perfectly but Destinator and Polnav.
    If I put a ; in front of the TMC_COM or change TMC Port Open=false, Destinator and Polnav work but Mio2008 stops working; working, I mean it detects gps signals.
    With Mio C320, MioMap+Igo+Amigo+Destinator+Polnav work well together.
    Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by 101gps; 3rd June 2010 at 15:12.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AHMHeeren View Post
    Hi blb*oops,
    if you have some experience with port splitter, I have the following situation for you to look at.

My mio moov 500 is unlocked with MioPocket Lite.
    I found out that on the mio moov com1 is related to TMC_com, com2 to GPS_com and com3 to SIRFNAVDRV.

I run iGO and TomTom on it as well, they autodetect the gps receiver, so no problems here.
    With Garmin however it seems not possible to connect with the GPS receiver that is present.

With port splitter I can chose input between TMC_COM and SW_TMC COM1 with several options for baud rates.
    I can choose output between COM0, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 9, no the other ports can be selected.
    I tried all possible combinations, but using GARMIN I cannot get connected tot the gps receiver.

My question is now: how to use port splitter (or another piece of software) to get GARMIN connected to the gps-receiver in my mio moov ?

Suggestions are welcome !

Regards,
    Ton
    Here's my suggestion:
    A. using port splitter(even I've never used it)
    -soft reset
    -(install port splitter)start port splitter and set output to com2(even if you have to do it manually, if impossible try com6)
    -start garmin(xt probably?), go to settings/system/remote gps/gps info: after a while, a few minutes (prefferably in open air), you should get gps signal
    -if not go to B.
    -if you get gps signal exit garmin
    -start igo and check if it works(for igo not working: a. try to edit in SYS file: port=6; b. in igo settings/gps change port 2 to port 6)
    -if not go to B.
    B.using gpsplex(even in spanish it's very easy to set & it's free, very economical in consuming resources)
    -soft-reset
    -install gpsplex
    -start gpsplex
    -tap on gps/selleccionar gps(select gps)/set the input port according to your device & baud rate/acceptar
    -you'll see on display(after a few minutes) your geo position, the visible satellites
    -tap gps/ocultar gpsplex(minimize)
    -start garmin & do simillar to A.
    Let me know about your progress!
    Last edited by bib*oops; 3rd June 2010 at 16:59.

Thanks

Thanks for the explanation.
    Could you show me how to use it?
    I, same as AHMHeeren member, use Moov500 and running different gps softwares for fun. Igo, Amigo and Mio2008 (comes with the gps) run perfectly but Destinator and Polnav.
    If I put a ; in front of the TMC_COM or change TMC Port Open=false, Destinator and Polnav work but Mio2008 stops working; working, I mean it detects gps signals.
    With Mio C320, MioMap+Igo+Amigo+Destinator+Polnav work well together.
    Thanks for your time.
    As I stated before , depending on device and/or gps receiver and/or gps apps there are conflicts and/ or problems of compatibility.
    I suggest you to install gpsgate(even gpsplex).
    If further problems pm me.

AHMHeeren is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bib*oops View Post
    Here's my suggestion:
    A. using port splitter(even I've never used it)
    -soft reset
    -(install port splitter)start port splitter and set output to com2(even if you have to do it manually, if impossible try com6)
    -start garmin(xt probably?), go to settings/system/remote gps/gps info: after a while, a few minutes (prefferably in open air), you should get gps signal
    -if not go to B.
    -if you get gps signal exit garmin
    -start igo and check if it works(for igo not working: a. try to edit in SYS file: port=6; b. in igo settings/gps change port 2 to port 6)
    -if not go to B.
    B.using gpsplex(even in spanish it's very easy to set & it's free, very economical in consuming resources)
    -soft-reset
    -install gpsplex
    -start gpsplex
    -tap on gps/selleccionar gps(select gps)/set the input port according to your device & baud rate/acceptar
    -you'll see on display(after a few minutes) your geo position, the visible satellites
    -tap gps/ocultar gpsplex(minimize)
    -start garmin & do simillar to A.
    Let me know about your progress!
    Hi,
    as I stated: I can not select com2 (where tcm_com) is on, as input port probably it is not possible to select a port that is in use ?
    Manipulating with sys.txt does work with iGO but not with Garmin, and my problem is to get the gps-receiver connected to Garmin.
    Ton

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AHMHeeren View Post
    Hi,
    as I stated: I can not select com2 (where tcm_com) is on, as input port probably it is not possible to select a port that is in use ?
    Manipulating with sys.txt does work with iGO but not with Garmin, and my problem is to get the gps-receiver connected to Garmin.
    Ton
    Don't mix up things, get working up garmin vs. igo are way much different things.
    Anyway, one more try:
    -install gpsgate;
    -start gpsgate;
    -tick"wired or built in gps" and tap>;
    -wait for app to search input gps port, you'll see a pop-up window "Found comx...bla-bla", tap YES";
    -tick "Share with garmin apps", again you'll see a pop-up window "blabla", tap NO;
    -tap Finish;
    -start garmin and see what's happening.
    Good luck!

Thanks

bib**oops,
    thank you for taking the time to help.
    I like to make things work on Moov 500 since I like its 4.7 screen and brighter display comparing to C320.
    The nice thing about the C320 is that any gps software I try on works right away. I have not tried the port splitter yet though.
    The Moov 500 will detect gps almost instantly when mio2008 starts. Maybe that is why it blocks other gps softwares from using the port, but Igo/Amigo run well along with it.
    Thanks again.

Thanks

... Maybe that is why it blocks other gps softwares from using the port, but Igo/Amigo run well along with it.
    You're right, indeed.
    Mio and Igo and Amigo runs well maybe because they're related, therefore not interfering each other.
    But using other gps apps(like garmin, for example) with the above apps on same device could cause very annoying issues.
    And ... you're welcome!
    Last edited by bib*oops; 5th June 2010 at 07:33.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast