GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE

Thread: Advice on cheapest way to start from scratch

22merlin is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

Advice on cheapest way to start from scratch

My Sat Nav was stolen this week. Was running Igo8 on a Route66 Maxi. So I need to buy some new hardware and start from fresh. Do I buy a cheap Chinese unit [can anyone recommend one ?] Do I buy the cheapest decent unit on the UK Market [again - can anyone recommend]. Funds are limited - so any tips and advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Gary

dohcacr is offline Lieutenant Colonel
    Thanks

Re: Advice on cheapest way to start from scratch

You can usually pickup a Insignia NS-CNV43 on the Overstock.com auctions for about $40-$45 including shipping. You have to be patient, there is only one listed now, but there is usually 7-8 listed at a time. They run IGO8 and Primo very well. This unit has a Samsung 3SC2440 cpu that runs at 411mips, which is a pretty high-end cpu in the GPS market. There is an UNLOCK on this forum if you search.

You can get the NS-NAV01 for less, at the same auction, but I have no idea what kind of CPU powers it. There is an unlock available for the NS-NAV01 on gpsunderground also.

A lot of people seem to have a high opinion of the Nextar 43LT. They're available from best buy for $60.
    Last edited by dohcacr; 20th August 2010 at 12:03.

22merlin is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

Thank you, rather belatedly, for your advice - unfortunately I've not been able to track down the device recommended as I am based in the UK and there seem to be 'rules' about shipping electronics over here from the US.

I have managed without a GPS until now - but have purchased a Sony U93TW [bought for the size / TMC] and will set about converting it to IGO as there have been no new UK maps etc since '07.

Thanks again for your help and apologies for not getting back to you.

Thanks

How much RAM does NS-CNV43 has? Is it running WinCE 5/6?

Thanks

I have a NAV01C for the unlock to work, get the new menus. Now trying to find iGo8 and install it and test it out. Would be nice to see this working before I lay out cash for the software. Any idea where I should be looking?

Thanks

I have a chinese unit and it is sh*t hot!

7" screen, bluetooth, fm transmitter, wince 5.0 (less issues than 6.0 with GPS software) 128mb ram (more than enough), plays videos, music, shows ebooks, photos, has calculator, date and time etc etc.

Runs TomTom 7.9, IGO 8 My Way, Igo Primo 1.2, Ndrive (will do more but i've stopped playing because I like MyWay with custom skins etc).

Also has an AV-IN port which you can plug a wireless reverse camera into, there only £17 delivered on Ebay.

My chinese unit was only £68 delivered and arrived within 48 hours of being shipped! (Collected from shipper 2am Friday, arrived to me on the Saturday!!)

Have a look on Ebay and look for the one that price (not sure if i'm allowed to post the link).

Another good feature is the windscreen mount, it's your usual suction cup but it is the lever type that gets excellent suction.

I have been recommending these to anyone whose spoken to me recently about buying a GPS. In the shops in the UK a really crappy unit is on sale at £45 with a 3.5" screen, i've got an awesome 7" unit now for £23 more!

PM me if you have any more Q's on the unit, i'm just a newbie to the GPS scene but i've already got my unit working sweet as a nut thanks to these forums.

Thanks

i have a simular aftermarket unit i ordered from ebay, 7" touch screen with gps dvd bluetooth phone rev cam but mine is an in dash unit and has replaced my car stereo, my unit was ordered from ETO (etradeone2007) he has 99.6 seller ratio but now has no items for sale for some reason i just checked and i have not got an email about his products in some time (just odd) if you wish to see my unit and was 600can by the time it was shipped with cam and gps near 3 years ago, they make thier own units and are stilll pretty much the same but they make them for each kind of dashboard now instead of the genaric double din square unit i got. i am having problems figuring out what gps software will work on it. i got igo 2006 plus that came with it but map is so out dated now. and the igo 2006 is a demo lisence so i am unable to update with naviextrras. also the only map shown is the basemap, but it is working. the only other gps software i ever got to boot on it was igo primo, but it wont fit the screen, at 800x480 or 480x272 these are too big and most is off screen, then 320x240 is too small or not widescreen atleast. also i only have the program of igo primo i do not have a NA or canada map for it.

so do i get a NA canada map for igo 2006 plus (would igo 2008 map work?)

or do i figure out igo primo because on there site it says primo is designed for aftermarket gps units

also i have never been able to get igo 2008 to work, i point it to the 2257 folder and nothing ever happens

it is win CE 5.0 and nothing can install on it, i must use the 2g sd card, is this the way most win CE is done like running sd card like a stand alone program.
    also when i ordered the igo 2006 from the aftermarket unit manufactorer, it happened to come with a exe called launch CE and it will launch a windows xp looking interface, but most is not in english, i tried to find an english verson of launch CE with no sucsess, mind you i only care about the gps software working but have anyone else herd of this launch CE thing? because my interface is to only let me point it to an exe and execute it.

if i could be pointed to articals about how to use or know what gps software to use on my unit or direct help in this thread all info would be helpful thanks.
    Last edited by Jomofo; 2nd April 2011 at 17:00. Reason: looked on web and products not currently there

Thanks

Dear everyone

I am considering this gps, see below. What do think? There are lots of them on ebay uk, they all look the same. I bought a similar no name chinese one about 2 years ago. I had problem with the unit and it failed after about a year. There is no support from the sellers and they do not want to know you after 45 days. The IGO maps were great and I like to look and feel of IGO. My thinking is that if they last 1 year then its ok.

Here is my question...This unit and others like like do not have text to speech, the sellers have confirmed this to me. Is it possible to add text to speech to it? The sellers ay the maps are 2012.

Thanks and regards

Robert

New 7 inch Car Sat Nav GPS HD Screen Speed Camera 4GB/128 RAM EU Map | eBay