Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By arifbakri

Thread: Igo8 vs Primo

arifbakri is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

Igo8 vs Primo

I have both Igo 8.3 and Primo 1.1 running on my 2DIN (800x480) from the same SD card. Both are great but they have pros and cons. I wish they had ported over the good stuffs from Igo8 into Primo. Here are my problems/dislikes... Would appreciate if the experts out there provide some comments or guidance...

Here's what I miss from Igo8 that I wish they had incorporated into Primo...
    1. The Igo8 default skin is very nice, it has everything and you don't really need to skin it. It looks beautiful and the buttons are in the right places.

2. When the compass is touched, it displays the Speedometer with the trip info/summary (even when not during navigation) - picture attached.
    Anyone knows if this function is available anywhere in Primo? Can't seem ti find it anywhere.

3. Igo has the smart zoom/view which will automatically switch to overview map (in 2D) when there's no direction changes for more than 5 km. It will change to 3D navigation map when there's change in direction within 3 km. I thought this is very useful. Again.. can't find it in Primo, even after playing around with the sys.txt or system.ini.

There's only one thing bad about Igo.. the terrain (with dem files) is not displayed smoothly. There's patches to the terrain, not sure if this is only my setup. Primo does this very well.. it's so panoramic and educates me about the geography of the area I pass by. Anyone know why terrain in Igo8 is patchy and not smooth? - pic attached. Because of this reason, I use Primo more than Igo (but I cannot trow away Igo because of the reasons above).

Hope someone can comment of the patchy terrain on Igo8. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Igo8 vs Primo-patchy-terrain-igo8.jpg   Igo8 vs Primo-smooth-terrain-primo.jpg   Igo8 vs Primo-speedo-summary-igo8.jpg  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to arifbakri For This Useful Post:

bazzle is offline Lieutenant
    Thanks

Re: Igo8 vs Primo

I prefer iGO8 and have not bothered anymore with Primo.

The zoom is different on both pix. Adj iGO8 the same and keep setting and pic should be similar.

I use GJ6.18 skin for even better features and a digital speedo.

Bazzle

Thanks

thanks

Excellent to become thanks.

Thanks

Do you have the latest software?

George Brown is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arifbakri View Post
    There's only one thing bad about Igo.. the terrain (with dem files) is not displayed smoothly. There's patches to the terrain, not sure if this is only my setup. Primo does this very well.. it's so panoramic and educates me about the geography of the area I pass by. Anyone know why terrain in Igo8 is patchy and not smooth?

Hope someone can comment of the patchy terrain on Igo8. Thanks
    You need to download another dem files for your country or the one that includes your country which has the bigger size than your current dem files.

exflyboy is offline Corporal
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arifbakri View Post

1. The Igo8 default skin is very nice, it has everything and you don't really need to skin it. It looks beautiful and the buttons are in the right places.
    I couldn't agree more, I started a similar thread on here some days ago. You are between the devil and the deep blue sea, I use Primo2 (zervdim) and there are some significant improvements and aditional features over Igo8, would prefer the default skin of Igo8 to that of Primo. In Primo I use the alternate cockpit 2 as perhaps this is the nearest you can get but my biggest niggle is why on earth did they put the info, navigation panes with a white background and black charachters? Surely it's far safer to have a dark background with white charachters if you glance at it while driving as Igo8 default skin has. Maybe some of the skinning gurus (respect, as I've seen how much work is involved) could have a look at this

dohcacr is offline Lieutenant Colonel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exflyboy View Post
    why on earth did they put the info, navigation panes with a white background and black charachters? Surely it's far safer to have a dark background with white charachters if you glance at it while driving as Igo8 default skin has. Maybe some of the skinning gurus (respect, as I've seen how much work is involved) could have a look at this
    Dark background and white letters would not work well with transparency,