GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Skot53

Thread: A possible POI Icon problem resolution

kaybee327 is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

A possible POI Icon problem resolution

I think I may have partly resolved the issue of changing default icons to user chosen.
    Using my method does change the user icon for user entered kml but I cant get them to show in the browse map screen. If you choose find - poi then the new icon shows on map but not on browse.

I am sure there are experts (and I mean that kindly) that could probably sort out in minutes so here goes.

I have created a mini howto in word format so mods if I have posed wrong - sorry please move also problems uploading so guide can be found at

Comments welcomed please

Keith

dajac is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

Re: A possible POI Icon problem resolution

... this is not available, please fix it!!!

Skot53 is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

This forum is weird. Why not just put the directions in the post?

If you have a small number of custom POI (<10) you can select individual spots and assign them to a group. I don't have my GPS right infront of me, but it's something like this

Find > Find POI > Around Address > (enter generic address around your area, or enter city and hit bottom button "City Center") > Scroll over to un-grouped POI (past transportation, at the bottom of the list) > Click on uncatalogued POI > Select (on the bottom) > More Options... > Save as POI > select Folder of your choice > Add Here > Back Arrow four times (4x)

...and that's it. Once you back out to the 2D map with the button "More Options..." you will see the icon appear.

EDIT: See post #5 on an easier way to make the icons show up if you have several of them.
    Last edited by Skot53; 15th February 2011 at 17:46. Reason: updated info

Thanks

Hi Keith,
    4shared.com reports that your file has been deleted and therefore download is not now possible. I am very new to iGO and miss the flexibility in POI management I had in TomTom. I have lots of POIs I've gathered for TomTom and have no problems installing in iGO but I find the "blue globe" range of icons limited and the fact that they are all BLUE leaves the picture a bit un-discriminated.
    Please provide an alternative source for your work-around.
    Ken

Thanks

To get rid of the Blue Globe icon:
    Open the data.zip file (DO NOT unzip!) and navigate to the "ui_igo8\icons\poi" folder. Then delete the "kmlpoi.icon" file. The custom icons then show on the map with the icon of your choice. Only drawback is that the default icon is then missing from the manage screen until you set a custom icon. (Using the Advanced Menu with the GPS)

Important: Make sure you have a backup data.zip file in case something gets messed up. Do not unzip the file- open it with WINRAR or any other ZIP edit program.

I also found a better solution to getting KML POIs to show on the map:

Open the *.kml file you placed in "iGo8\CONTENT\USERDATA\POI" folder and format it in the following way:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://sancho.hu/files/blog/download/NNG/NavNGo_iGO8_working_with_KML_v22Feb2008.pdf
    <Document><name>Coffee and bakeries</name>
    <folder>Bakeries</folder>
    <Placemark>
    <name>Kevins Bakery</name>
    <description>All the delicacies fresh for you
    Open from 7 am till 7 pm on weekdays
    Call us for catering service!
    Wedding and party cakes baked to order.
    </description>
    <phoneNumber>+1 555 5555 55</phoneNumber>
    <Point><coordinates>-
    122.4131901635356,37.78298928225838,0</coordinates></Point>
    </Placemark>
    Your document name is the name of the base folder it will be in. The folder is a sub folder within the base folder. The name is the name of the POI.

My problem is that the document name was left blank when I got the kml file, so I had to manually fill out the name in each file (you can have tens of thousands of POIs in each KML file, so it takes only seconds to modify them)

Read this pdf for a further explanation of the kml code files: http://sancho.hu/files/blog/download...v22Feb2008.pdf

edit: If you have already loaded the kml files into the system before editing, you have to take them off, delete the affected folder using IGO8, then reload the files into the userdata folder in order for the POI to stay in the system properly.
    Last edited by Skot53; 18th February 2011 at 15:56.
    taki_joon likes this.

Thanks

Well crap. I got my special KML icons to show yesterday, but they aren't showing up today. I didn't change anything with the GPS, so I don't know what could have triggered it, possibly a memory shortage. I'll update the thread if I find an answer.

Thanks

Update: I had to remove the *.kml files out of the userdata folder (put them in backup, the files were fine). After that, I loaded up IGO8, removed the folders containing the kml files (that were on backup). Turned off the unit, put the kml files back into the userdata folder, then restarted the unit from scratch (reassigning icons, distance viewable, the whole deal).

I was able to find the POI under the "Find POI" menu, and they appear on the map where they should. I'd call this resolved. I guess they didn't load into the system properly... I'm certainly done messing with these kml POI. I have all of the icons I want, all of the POIs and maps I could need, so hopefully everything stays as it is now.
    Last edited by Skot53; 18th February 2011 at 15:58.