What I'm trying to do now is update the preloaded maps (2011.20) in my Kenwood DNX6180 in-dash unit. So far I've looked everywhere on the net and couldn't come up with anything. My unit does not have a mini-USB or an SD slot anywhere. I even talked to Kenwood tech support and all the guy told me was its updated through either a USB thumbnail drive or a DVD.
Does anyone have any ideas or information regarding how i can go about updating them to the new 2012.30 (already downloaded)? Or how to properly write the files onto either a DVD or USD drive?
Any info would be great as I'm completely stumped as to how its done.
How to update to City Navigator North america 2012.20 for Kenwood DNX6180
1. You must have a cable coming out of DNX6180 to insert flashdrive preferably 4.0GB in size.It actually comes from the back of the unit but it must be visible and looped around so you can physically touch it.
2. Insert flash drive to cable on Kenwood with car running and navigate to map update on DNX6180, the unit will transmit to the flashdrive the GarminDevice.xml file in a folder called Garmin on the flash drive.
3. Take back to computer and insert in USB drive and navigate to https://www.garmin.com/kenwood/ click map update and it will inform you that there is an update for the Kenwood DNX6180, purchase it and a product code will be issued and you will see notification that you have a unit number.Also, is this your device (yes)
4. There were some problems if you click download, because it's greyed out and Garmin was well aware of that and i myself was ready to ask for my money back because it led no where.Previously if i clicked on assign it would go in circles with no downloads. I did the same thing this afternoon (4/22/2012) and something new appeared called the GarminMap Updater which was about 4.08MB so i went ahead and since i had the flash drive inserted in the computer it d/l the map and added an unlock file (unl). At the end i had data on the flash drive (2.18GB).Please remember this installs to the flash drive not the computer.
5. Took flash drive back to the car and started car, went to navigation, map info update and i received a message this will take a long time in installing,Do not turn of engine or disconnect device.
6. Ten minutes later update was complete and turned off car and the restarted per instructions. Went to Navigation, map info and now appears City Navigator North america 2012.20.
Your product code, unit number will produce an unl file and is only good for this unit and i hope this helps for people who are confused.