Thread: Kenwood DNX alternative firmware

jpnos is offline Private
    Thanks

Kenwood DNX alternative firmware

Hi
    I have a DNX520VBT and no new version of firmware for garmin unit are released. we don't have lane assit, jcv etc
    My idea was if we can use new hacked firmware for this device, the garmin pcb is nuvi13xx v4
    Someone tested any other firmware on this unit that is the same like DNX5260BT?
    I want to know if it is possible to use firmware of DNX5280 or other but I don't know wich garmin pcb they have

To see the PCB version :
    On map push velocity button on right down
    then in the new video press the center of contakm till arrive the service menu
    then developer info
    go down to pcb information

Bye
    Last edited by jpnos; 22nd January 2013 at 12:21.

tomasz100 is offline Corporal
    Thanks

Re: Kenwood DNX alternative firmware

I think that it's not good idea, of course U can try, but before make a backup all data from internal SDCard. I was check my dnx 5280 and PCB info showed text string: SW ONLY. Kenwood make new model DNX521VBT, but I think it would be too easy to change only firmware.

jpnos is offline Private
    Thanks

Good morning

I know the risk to have a bricked unit . So now we know that dnx5280 is already on new platform .
    All right
    we just find another way .
    The new platform use windows automotive I think and is different all the hardware so it's hard to use firmware for the unit starting from dnx 5280 unit .
    Someone have the dnx 7260 or 9260 and can check the pcb Information ?
    this version have already jcv 3d e lane assist and surely in on the old platform .
    Another alternative is to use the firmware of the nuvi 13xx and this is another way that I' m consider.
    Thank's

pajser is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

i have the new one,DNX-521VBT and i think,after litlle research that it is THE END with instaling free updates of garmin maps in any new(models from 2012.)Kenwood with Garmin! Obviously Garmin saw how its modules sold embedded in Kenwood multimedia, and how much is "a little" legal updates purchases! So in conjunction with the hardware engineers Kenwood protect access to the hard disk with Garmin Software! With that seeks to force the purchase of legal update, which, btw, in my country has a cost of 150euro/200USD !
    Quote Originally Posted by tomasz100 View Post
    I think that it's not good idea, of course U can try, but before make a backup all data from internal SDCard. I was check my dnx 5280 and PCB info showed text string: SW ONLY. Kenwood make new model DNX521VBT, but I think it would be too easy to change only firmware.

jpnos is offline Private
    Thanks

Hi man
    I don't think that this is the end
    You have new platform of kenwood machine that it is window automotive.
    I think you can try to put map on sd and the system go on , but I don't have this system so you must try to see if right.
    No there is the usb on the back of the unit so you can't use this system to access the garmin gps on the kenwood unit.
    Bye

Quote Originally Posted by pajser View Post
    i have the new one,DNX-521VBT and i think,after litlle research that it is THE END with instaling free updates of garmin maps in any new(models from 2012.)Kenwood with Garmin! Obviously Garmin saw how its modules sold embedded in Kenwood multimedia, and how much is "a little" legal updates purchases! So in conjunction with the hardware engineers Kenwood protect access to the hard disk with Garmin Software! With that seeks to force the purchase of legal update, which, btw, in my country has a cost of 150euro/200USD !