GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE

Thread: DNX7140 won't connect via mini-USB! Please help!

bhamilton is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

DNX7140 won't connect via mini-USB! Please help!

Hi,

I've got a DNX7140 that I'm trying to connect to via the mini-USB in the back, but I'm having problems. When I connect the HU to my laptop, the HU asks garmin or mass storage mode and the laptop shows the Garmin USB GPS in device manager, but with a blue question mark.

If I choose Mass Storage Mode on the HU, the laptop gives me two removable drives, F and G. When I try to access G:, it says that there is no disk in the drive. When I try to access F:, it hangs for a while and then says that it cannot access the disk, or that it needs to format the disk in order to work.

If I choose Garmin Mode, the webupdater opens, finds the unit, checks for updates, tells me that it is fully updated but that there may be other updates, such as voices, etc. When I click next, it says that there was an error communicating with the device and click Finish to exit.

I'm using the most current Garmin drivers on the laptop. Bluetooth phone is turned off. Ipod is disconnected.

I've tried everything I can think of. Can somebody please help me?

Thanks,
    Brandt

StonedSte is offline Private
    Thanks

Re: DNX7140 won't connect via mini-USB! Please help!

Are you running Windows 7? as the Garmin drivers might not work with it. Try connecting with another pc/laptop.

bhamilton is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

YES! I am running Windows 7. I'll try XP tonight.

Did you have the same issue?

Thanks!

nhoj_yelbom is offline Private
    Thanks

i cant get usb storage mode to come up on my windows 7 x64 laptop to get to garmin folder. the garmin usb driver installs but no drive number comes up to transfer files

nhoj_yelbom is offline Private
    Thanks

Well anyone having problems another usb cable fixed the mass storage mode problem

agoattamer is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

Should be no difference whether you are running XP, Vista, Windows 7, 32bit, or 64bit. The drivers needed for Mass Storage is included in your OS. You do not need special Garmin USB drivers for Mass Storage. And Mass Storage is the mode you need to access your internal map files on the Kenwood headunits. First make sure you are using a mini usb data cable and not just a mini usb charging cable. nhoj_yelbom has already pointed this out. After you connect choose mass storage and relax for a minute or 2. Depending on your laptop it may take some time to add the removeable drive, install the drivers, and set up the connection. If the removeable drive doesn't install then either something is up with your cable or your pc has issues. It is as plain as that.