GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: kenwood 7240 bt

Thanks

Wink kenwood 7240 bt

Needing help finding latest updates for this device got garmin software running on it ,believe it as to be updated by dvd any persons out there
    able to help many thanks

Chooli is offline Corporal
    Thanks

Re: kenwood 7240 bt

The instructions below worked for a Kenwood 6140 in dash unit. It may work for yours too.

Kenwood in-dash units which utilize the Garmin Navi:

Use a 3 foot mini USB cable plugged into the rear of your unit with the other end in the glove box. Put a cap over the end in the glove box so it won't short out with any other wires. Then, it's easy to pull the wire out of the glove box and plug it into your laptop for updating.

1. Make sure your car battery is in good shape or you'll have to run the engine.
    2. Turn your car key to accessory and let your Kenwood boot up.
    3. Then plug the USB into your laptop.
    4. The screen on your Navi will then ask "mass storage or Garmin mode" Use mass storage for updating maps or Garmin mode to use Garmin's Web Updater, as long as you have an internet connection.
    5. Once in mass storage, proceed to update maps using the instructions below.

Be advised that the USB cables that are already in your glove box won't work. These are used for Ipods and thumb drives. You must plug your own mini USB cable into the rear of the unit where a dealer will tell you that this is where the optional FM Traffic Receiver plugs into.

1. Connect your device to the computer.
    2. Go into the Nuvi files located in the Garmin folder and backup the file named “gmapprom.img” to your computer.
    3. Delete the “gmapprom.img” file from the device.
    4. Copy the unlocked “gmapprom.img” file that you downloaded into the device. (this copy proceedure could take up to 45 minutes to accomplish)
    5. Restart your device and check your map info via : Tools>Settings>Map>Map Info.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Chooli; 15th May 2010 at 12:40.

patsak is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chooli View Post
    The instructions below worked for a Kenwood 6140 in dash unit. It may work for yours too.

Use a 3 foot mini USB cable plugged into the rear of your unit with the other end in the glove box. Put a cap over the end in the glove box so it won't short out with any other wires. Then, it's easy to pull the wire out of the glove box and plug it into your laptop for updating.

1. Make sure your car battery is in good shape or you'll have to run the engine.
    4. The screen on your Navi will then ask "mass storage or Garmin mode" Use mass storage for updating maps or Garmin mode to use Garmin's Web Updater, as long as you have an internet connection.
    5. Once in mass storage, proceed to update maps using the same instructions below.

Be advised that the USB cables that are already in your glove box won't work. These are used for Ipods and thumb drives. You must plug your own mini USB cable into the rear of the unit where a dealer will tell you that this is where the optional FM Traffic Receiver plugs into.

2. Go into the Nuvi files located in the Garmin folder and backup the file named “gmapprom.img” to your computer.
    4. Copy the unlocked “gmapprom.img” file that you downloaded into the device. (these copy proceedures could take up to 45 minutes to accomplish)
    5. Restart your device and check your map info via : Tools>Settings>Map>Map Info.

Hope this helps!
    hello
    I need your help too.
    My map in kenwood Kna-G430th (thailand) Use gmapsupp.img
    How do I Unlock gmapsupp.img ?Now I use thailand city navigator V7.0 ( TCN 7)2007 year.
    My GPS Unit box can use to V9
    Who can send the new maps for me?
    thank very much.

afierro is offline Corporal
    Thanks

try this :
    Code:
    http://forum.mobilism.org/search.php?keywords=garmin+&fid
    []=0&sc=1&sr=topics&sf=titleonly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chooli View Post

5. Once in mass storage, proceed to update maps using the instructions below.

4. Copy the unlocked “gmapprom.img” file that you downloaded into the device. (this copy proceedure could take up to 45 minutes to accomplish)

Hope this helps!
    is this true for DNX7340BT too?

Thanks

mard is offline Private
    Thanks

Hi< I have the garmin unlocked map but I can not get the 7240 to show up as a hard disk.
    I have installed the latest garmin usb drivers, tried on four different laptops, windows 7 64b and XP pro 32b.

If I select garmin mode, then I get a new GPS device installed. and an unknown Bluetooth Device loaded. If I reselect it as Mass Storage, nothing happens, the laptop does not detect any new drives. Is there a way to use the unlocked img via DVD ? I did try to burn it to dvd in a folder named garmin, but that didnt work lol, so it looks like I am going to buy an update dvd

Thanks

I had the same problem, until I noticed that the unit appeared on my computer when I had Garmin software running (maybe the software has the correct drivers for the unit?).

I am trying to update a DNX7240BT now and had some problems with corrupted files. It looks as if someone has fiddled with the files without success. I may also hhave deleted something I shouldn´t.

Could you try and make a backup of your DNX72040BT´s files (excluding the large map .img file) for me? If you are able to connect to the unit following my tip

mard is offline Private
    Thanks

Hiya, well the problem turned out to be the usb cable. I pulled the HU out and put a decent quality USB in and it worked first time. Not sure if its related but since updating the mapping to 2012 I have had the HU lock up two times now. The nav keeps working, but all controls stop working, so I cant change tracks, Volume. This is from both the steering controls and the HU.

alitech is offline Private
    Thanks

Where can I download the maps for the UK please? The latest maps with all the funky 3d stuff. Can you get lane assist with these maps too? That is a function that will be REALLY useful.

Whats the difference between a locked and an unlocked map? Why use either of these?

The traffic receiver is also a USB plug thing? I already have a USB coming out of the back and yes, I use it for USB sticks for music. Is it safe to put a new USB cable in FM traffic input and leave it in the glove compartment like the other cable?

As we need to connect a new USB cable to the area

mikeybhoy is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alitech View Post
    Where can I download the maps for the UK please? The latest maps with all the funky 3d stuff. Can you get lane assist with these maps too? That is a function that will be REALLY useful.
    UK maps (and all others) are in the Garmin section of the forum

Whats the difference between a locked and an unlocked map? Why use either of these?
    Not 100% sure but you will need an unlocked map. They way I see it a locked map has to be unlocked to be able to use it on any device. I used an unlocked UK & RoI map in my Kenwood DNX7200.

The traffic receiver is also a USB plug thing? I already have a USB coming out of the back and yes, I use it for USB sticks for music. Is it safe to put a new USB cable in FM traffic input and leave it in the glove compartment like the other cable?
    Yes. The USB that is used for the FM Traffic also doubles as the internal storage for the Kenwood. Connect it to a laptop and press the NAV button on the Kenwood and select Mass Storage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast