GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Insignia NS-NAV02 - A brief review

dohcacr is offline Lieutenant Colonel
    Thanks

Insignia NS-NAV02 - A brief review

When the $30 Insignia NS-NAV01s dried up at Best Buys, I decided to take a look at the NS-NAV02r,
    not because I needed another GPS (5 on my desk right now), but for the entertainment value. Here is what I found. The hardware in this gps is a significant cut above the NAV01. The NAV01 has a 400mhz ARM926t CPU, and the NAV02 employs a 610mhz ARM1136jf-s. The NAV02 runs WINCE 6.0, and the GPS receiver is significantly stronger than the NAV01. When I say stronger, it is my subjective opinion, based on the fact that it almost always sees 10-12 satellites, and has a strong lock on 8-9 of them.

The NAV02 can run Primo 1.2 without any trickery. Juat change the name of the Primo directory and executiable to WLNANavi480_272/WLNA_Navi.exe, and it will load. The GPS com port should be set to com 7 and the baud rate to 4800. All good so far, right? Well there is one caveat, and it may be a deal breaker for you. The NAV02 won't turn off (with the power butto0n) when running Primo. The fact that the NAV02 won't turn off, I find to be a minor annoyance. Let me explain. Although the NAV02 won't turn off with the power button, it will sleep(but not via the power button). I'm sure you are familiar with how Primo will automatically power off the GPS when the DC power is removed, well instead of powering off, the NAV02 goes to sleep, and is back, and ready to navigate within a few seconds of pressing the power button.

While in a sleep state, the NAV02 seems to use about 1% of the battery power for every hour that it is asleep, so you could let it sleep for a couple of days, press the power button and be ready to navigate in a minute or so. It seems like that the longer the GPS sleeps, the longer it takes to reacquire a satellite lock. That makes sense because, the longer the GPS sleeps the further the satellite has moved from it's last known position. When in a sleep state for 30 minutes or so, satellite reacquisition is instantaneous.

The NAV02 not powering off is not a big issue for me, so I don't plan to invest a lot of time finding a fix. Operationally, I consider the NAV02s cat naps to be ideal, and if I won't be using the GPS for a while, I'll just connect it to a wall charger.

BTW, if you have any thought of buying this GPS and using the native gps software, don't even consider it. The gps app that comes with the nav02 is horrible (IMO).
    Last edited by dohcacr; 1st March 2012 at 15:39. Reason: An afterthought

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dohcacr For This Useful Post:

Blueschmoo is offline Private
    Thanks

Re: Insignia NS-NAV02 - A brief review

Hi dohcacr,

Thanks for the review, it's really helpful to hear what others have experienced.
    When I saw this unit and mentioned it to you, I noticed that the NAV02 seemed to have somewhat inferior GPS specifications compared to the NAV01. In the bestbuy.com description, the NAV01 has 24 channels and is WAAS-enabled. NAV02 is 16 channels and doesn't mention being WAAS-enabled. Although, the specs seem to be written by someone who doesn't really know what they are talking about...
    I don't suppose there's any way to compare the GPS accuracy with a NAV01, is there? If so, it'd be interesting to see if the NAV01 was in fact not WAAS-enabled. I'd be surprised, since most of the GPS chipsets these days have WAAS.

As for me -- the not being able to completely power off would bother me, as well, the decreased screen brightness would be problematic when using it in a glider. The readability of the NAV01 running LK8000 is just at the edge of acceptability in bright sunlight when wearing sunglasses, I expect the NAV02 would be too washed out. So, I'll pass this info along to any of my buddied who are considering buying a NAV02. The NAV01cs are still available up here from Future Shop, but Best Buy has none left. Of course there are tons on eBay.

By the way, your LK8000 autostart fileset is becoming quite popular up here. :-) A fellow gliding enthusiast is hosting an archive I made using your LK8000 autostart setup, see:
    lk8000 - Rideau Valley Soaring

I've also made my SD cards dual-boot such that they can be used with the NAV01c and NAV01 by simply copying both WLNANavi480_272 and CNAV folders to the root of the SD card. Works like a charm.

Thanks for all your help!

- BS

Thanks

I had the same impression of BestBuys specs. They're not worth the paper they're written on. I can't imagine who writes those specs, and decides to overlook the cpu type, cpu speed, and OS.

Your dual boot SD card idea is brilliant. I'll have to admit that my thinking is so "channeled" that I never would have thought of it.

Thanks

What about the sat. reception quality?
    I know Insignia NS-NAV01 is really bad according various review?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by naturoaid View Post
    What about the sat. reception quality?
    I know Insignia NS-NAV01 is really bad according various review?
    [QUOTE=dohcacr;The NAV02 runs WINCE 6.0, and the GPS receiver is significantly stronger than the NAV01. When I say stronger, it is my subjective opinion, based on the fact that it almost always sees 10-12 satellites, and has a strong lock on 8-9 of them.[/QUOTE]

That is from the initial review. If that doesn't answer your question, be more specific.

Don't know where you got the idea that the NAV01 has really bad satellite reception. That's just not true. I suppose the satellite performance is probably inferior when running the native insignia software, but with IGO software it gets the job done. Frankly, I've never heard any complaints about the nav01's satellite performance, except yours, and you haven't posted any specific data or links to that data.
    Last edited by dohcacr; 22nd May 2011 at 12:00.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dohcacr View Post
    Well there is one caveat, and it may be a deal breaker for you. The NAV02 won't turn off (with the power butto0n) when running Primo. The fact that the NAV02 won't turn off, I find to be a minor annoyance. Let me explain. Although the NAV02 won't turn off with the power button, it will sleep(but not via the power button). I'm sure you are familiar with how Primo will automatically power off the GPS when the DC power is removed, well instead of powering off, the NAV02 goes to sleep, and is back, and ready to navigate within a few seconds of pressing the power button.
    I have the same issue on my NAV02, but it never goes to sleep, any setting need to be done for this function?

Thank you in advance.

Thanks

Sorry to be so tardy in responding to your question. If your using IGO Primo 1.2, put

[Interface]
    show_exit=2

into your sys.txt

Just a few more words about the sleep mode. It will consume the battery overnight, and then essentially powers off. Not a big deal, unless you use it in pedestrian mode.
    Last edited by dohcacr; 2nd August 2011 at 11:56.

Thanks

Is anyone knows where I can find Nav02's mounting cradle ? I lost mine.

runnin primo 1.2 with no issues. Didn't use a long sys.txt, just the reserve memory line and good to go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Izzard View Post
    Is anyone knows where I can find Nav02's mounting cradle ? I lost mine.

Not likely that you'll find one, but you can buy the complete unit NEW for less than $45.

Thanks

dohcacr,

have you tried powering GPS off with the button using native GPS? I haven't even tried it at all. Looks like a the power button glitch is GPS hardware problem, not Primo. But I'm willing to find the solution.

I'm kind of surprised of the price and 'easy to hack' factor with this device. So far it's probably on the top of my list, considering the price, of course. It doesn't have bluetooth and TMC (which doesn't work in States anyway), but I have bluetooth in my car, no need.

I didn't unlock it, just renamed the folder and was set to go. Got into low memory problem once with clean sys.txt, then added the line for reserve memory and no problem ever since.
    Unfortunately I still can't find mounting cradle it it bugs the hell out of me. I contacted Insignia, but no help so far. Using universal holder for now, but it's bulky, ugly and cheap.

I compared Primo routes with iGo 8 (Navteq Q4) and they are relatively similar with few offs here and there. Trying to use Primo exclusively with GJ-AK skin, Samantha TTS Pro, NQ4 maps. Let's see how it goes.

But being minimalist I still want to try native skin.
    Do you know hot to fix speed camera alerts showing in km/h with native Primo 1.2 skin ?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 19th March 2012, 00:20
  2. ??
    Refback This thread
    17th October 2011, 09:46