fans_jade gps

Hi,

Does anyone have this device?
    Is it working properly?
    Which navigation systems do have on it?

thanks.

Thanks

Re: fans_jade gps

Yes, I bought the 5" WINCE 6.0 version with 64mb ram and it works very well. Was about £45 or there abouts. I got IGO 8.3, Amigo, Primo, OZIexplorer, Garmin XT all running on it (test purposes of course). Very easy to tinker with. No complaints at all apart from battery life was pretty short <1 hr and the screen needed a bit more luminousity for sunny days. I have sold it on now to get the Dragon Pearl 5" device with 128mb ram and the brighter screen. Couldn't get TomTom navigator to work on it though. Recommend a WINCE 5 device for that.

feo
    feo is offline Private
    Thanks

thanks for the reply, please can you tell me how to unlock it?
    Do I only have to change the shell.ini file to point to explorer?

Why the change to Dragon Pearl? looking for more battery?

thanks.

Thanks

I didn't unlock mine fully. I just installed GPS MENU (PEZ I think) and changed the navigation path to point to the menu. From there I could access lots of utilities and things. I didn't want to risk playing with the registry on the device to make it boot direct to WINCE in case I messed it up and bricked it.

I changed to the dragon pearl mainly because I realised I should have bought the 128mb ram version in the first place. The 64mb runs fine, but without IGO DEM files and TTS stutters badly. As I needed to upgarde to a 128mb model to get those working, I simply got the Dragon Pearl GPS500 rev 2 because it has a 400cd/m2 brightness screen instead of a 300cd/m2 screen of the other units. I have no hesitation in recommending the fans_jade units though, just get a 128mb version. If you want to get TomTom Navigator running, look elsewhere. Once you get IGO running well though, I cannot see any reason to want to run TomTom. Battery life is better, but I am pretty sure the improvement is due to the device using NAND Flash (internal) memory for storage instead of SD card. Get one with Internal flash memory for best battery performance.

feo
    feo is offline Private
    Thanks

Thanks a lot for the info welshmaa,

I'll try playing with the GPS MENU you said. I tried to install just another iGO version (newer) and I got some errors.

Yes, I got the 128mb version and it seems a nice device for the price but the screen seems to be uncalibrated and the utility it's not working for me
    Also it's supposed to have FM but doesn’t work either.