GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE

Thread: Help finding a GPS unit

Thanks

Help finding a GPS unit

Hello All,

I've been looking for a GPS system and I appear to keep failing in finding one that meets all my criteria once I get my hands on it. I'm pretty sure what I want exists, but I'm obviously choosing the wrong units. Here's what I want:

4.3" screen (resolution doesn't matter)
    Turns on when my truck turns on
    Hackable (easily or otherwise, I'd like to run most likely iGo Primo)
    TMC receiver built-in (rather not have an external unit/antenna)
    TMC receiver recognized by iGo (this is what I seem to never get)

I currently have 3 units (Magellan Maestro 4370, Magellan Roadmate 3045 and a Nextar 43LT). The two Magellans recognize the TMC receiver when running the Magellan software, but not when running iGO (either 8.3 or Primo). The Nextar I bought used, and it did not come with the original car charger, which from my research also included the FM receiver and an antenna, which was not my preference anyhow. I do realize that TMC won't work without a paid subscription (at least in 8.3), but I'd like to have it working in case I do decide to pay or the license issue in Primo gets solved. Any suggestions on units would be greatly appreciated, or if you know a way to get iGo to recognize the TMC receiver in the Magellan units, that would be even better.

Thanks in advance!

dohcacr is offline Lieutenant Colonel
    Thanks

Re: Help finding a GPS unit

I have the previous version of this GPS and it does everything you ask for. One hitch(at least on the old version)the TMC receiver is sold separately.
    They have an active forum, where you can get a informed answer to your questions, or you can communicate directly with the owner (goes by maema in the forums).

This GPS seller has a bit different philosophy. He will actively help you modify the GPS to your liking, via the forums. Also, he provides parts to fix his GPS's, like lcd screens. These are really good quality GPS's. I've been using one now for about 2 years, without problems(except for a broken lcd screen) I have IGO8, Primo 1.1 and Miopocket installed, although I rarely use anything but Primo. Give Dragon Pearl a try. They are a significant cut above most vendors, dispite the fact that they are located in China.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 19th July 2011, 10:08