GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading from CD to DVD plus Major Roads?

Lycanthrope is offline Corporal
    Thanks

Question Upgrading from CD to DVD plus Major Roads?

Hi Folks

I recently bought a 2005 Espace with the colour GPS and it's a pretty decent system considering its age. In any case my Garmin Nüvi won't work any more due to the athermic windscreen so I'm looking for upgrades to the original discs. Thanks to here I have the V30 Benelux, which works fine.

However I was wondering if it's possible to swap the CD hardware in the glove compartment to a DVD based device?

Secondly, on my original V25 Benelux CD I have major roads of Europe, on the newer CD this is not there. I don't see a major roads CD listed either?

What the deal with this? How, when I'm in Belgium can I route to Denmark for instance?

Cheers

hell is offline Lieutenant General
    Thanks

Re: Upgrading from CD to DVD plus Major Roads?

it is not possible to change it to dvd, there is no software in the unit for dvd drive, neither you can find a dvd drive with identical connection to the panel. and yes this year the major roads of eu is a different disc while so far it has been integrated to all the discs, but now discs are getting big and some of them (eastern eu, gemrani etc for example) hardly fit on a 700mb cd so probably this is why it s been moved to a separated disc. you can find all the 2010/11 discs in the other topic

gazo is offline Global Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,665 Times in 188 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hell View Post
    it is not possible to change it to dvd, there is no software in the unit for dvd drive, neither you can find a dvd drive with identical connection to the panel. and yes this year the major roads of eu is a different disc while so far it has been integrated to all the discs, but now discs are getting big and some of them (eastern eu, gemrani etc for example) hardly fit on a 700mb cd so probably this is why it s been moved to a separated disc. you can find all the 2010/11 discs in the other topic
    If you buy the original V30 set for CNI 1 systems Navteq still claims to have all Major Roads on every disc
    http://renault.navigation.com/is-bin...mpTo=OfferList
    All questions should be directed through the forum
    Private messages will be disregarded

Thanks

Yes this year the major roads of eu is a different disc while so far it has been integrated to all the discs, but now discs are getting big and some of them (eastern eu, gemrani etc for example) hardly fit on a 700mb cd so probably this is why it s been moved to a separated disc. you can find all the 2010/11 discs in the other topic
    Cheers

I already got a V29 version from UseNext, waiting to see the V30's turn up.

However, now I find myself with a problem - I was updating the system software from V500 to V530 and during the process the car switched itself off, now the unit won't power-up or anything. Any ideas on that?

Thanks

Thanks

we both know their accuracy on releasing information.. best way is to check, unfortunately i dont have any vdo equipment yet to do it :/ but i cant see any rational reason why they issued the MRE disc separatedly this year if they include its content in all the discs.. and they tend to release less frequently and less versions so i really dont believe that they released 2 different cd sets maybe they are just lazy updating their site as always they are behind themselves....

Thanks

REALLY BAD! yes i know now it is late but never run a firmware upgrade without running engine... renault models cut off the electricity after 15 or 20 minutes if you dont start the engine..

BUT despite of the failed update the bootloader still may be okay, i know the disc is stuck into the unit and there is no red led light on the frontpanel, but try switch the ignition on and wait, if the unit is not completely bricked it should restart the flashing process, it is possible that it wont restart for the first time but there is still chance. are you sure that the update disc is OK ? where has the process been interrupted ? (sw upload, lang upload, start, end where ?)

Thanks

we both know their accuracy on releasing information.. best way is to check, unfortunately i dont have any vdo equipment yet to do it :/ but i cant see any rational reason why they issued the MRE disc separatedly this year if they include its content in all the discs.. and they tend to release less frequently and less versions so i really dont believe that they released 2 different cd sets maybe they are just lazy updating their site as always they are behind themselves....
    The 2009/2010 editions did not have MRE on the France and Central Europe CD's. This year everything has been synchronized with the Supercode CD's which came in a 10 cd package in 2009/2010 both from Navteq and TeleAtlas and except for Eastern Europe, cover the same areas.

Thanks

Thanks for the info and suggestions

Well Renault talk about 9 CD's in the V30 pack and no mention of MRE on a separate disc. The Benelux CD doesn't have it, and that's surely one of the smaller map-sets at only 150MB

As for the firmware update, yes I feel like a total dick I was just thinking 'maybe I should start the engine...' when it cut off... So the screen was saying "Please Wait". Was the CD OK? Well it seemed to take a few times to read it before it took, it was downloaded from a link on this forum to a Carminat forum. Indeed I can't eject the CD and there's no light on, just an orange light that seems to be a power indicator only, not activity.

I'll be patient, I guess if it doesn't resolve then I'll have to take it to the garage...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Thanks for the info and suggestions

Well Renault talk about 9 CD's in the V30 pack and no mention of MRE on a separate disc. The Benelux CD doesn't have it, and that's surely one of the smaller map-sets at only 150MB...
    The discs that appear at some sites as Renault CD's are in fact normal Navteq cd's which you can tell from the contents of the ABSTRACT file

Navigation databases:
    .../prod/ntq/cpr/eur/bnl/bnl_hw_ntq_rnlt_09Q4_20100211s/bnl_hw_ntq_rnlt_09Q4_20100211sz9.cpr

The cd's that are posted do not have this RNLT note!
    Last edited by gazo; 11th July 2010 at 19:30.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post

As for the firmware update, yes I feel like a total dick I was just thinking 'maybe I should start the engine...' when it cut off... So the screen was saying "Please Wait". Was the CD OK? Well it seemed to take a few times to read it before it took, it was downloaded from a link on this forum to a Carminat forum. Indeed I can't eject the CD and there's no light on, just an orange light that seems to be a power indicator only, not activity.

I'll be patient, I guess if it doesn't resolve then I'll have to take it to the garage...
    just to make it clear: you saw a screen like this (of course with different version numbers)

and here you have choosen 'yes' it wrote 'please wait'
    it 'read the disc' but (re)boot from the disc never happened so you havent seen a screen like this:

if above is true your disc is crap (not written in mode2) and your unit just cant boot it from and stuck in flash mode, unit can be saved with a proper cd, thus you can avoid a ripoff at the garage (saved about 1000 eur)

if the blackout happened somewhere else i misunderstood you and need some more clarification, but is suspect that the disc is improper
    Last edited by hell; 11th July 2010 at 20:00.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast