GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE

Thread: Reviving Old TomTom Go500, need ideas.

xstater is offline Private
    Thanks

Reviving Old TomTom Go500, need ideas.

Hi there, I just need your help in getting more ideas on what to try in reviving a tomtom GO 500, it is stuck on the tomtom splash screen as soon as I turn it on. I installed and old tomtom Home (1.6) on my pc and it detects it fine, installed the software that it told me to the device and had no problems there, even updated voices. By the way, I have no backup of its original card since the device is not mine.

I have tried everything that I can think of,

- Pressing the reset button for 15 seconds and then turning it back on,
    - Erased everything in the card and tried reinstalling all again,
    - Used the clear flash tool directly from the TomTom page,
    - Tried with newer version of OS in the card and nothing,
    - Battery seems to be fine, charged it for a couple of hours at least.

Whatever I do it stays the same, I can see it as an extra drive when connected to my pc and like I told you guys, the Home program recognizes it no problem but when I turn it on without it connected to the pc then it goes to the splash screen and does not get out of it.

Any new ideas will be greatly appreciated.

heijx is offline Second Lieutenant
    Thanks

Re: Reviving Old TomTom Go500, need ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by xstater View Post
    I installed and old tomtom Home (1.6) on my pc and it detects it fine, installed the software that it told me to the device and had no problems there, even updated voices.
    Are you saying that your Tomtom works when arrived at this stage? This is exactly the procedure to load the correct navcore to an empty Tomtom and it looks like it works here. You should at this point have Navcore 7.903 and it should boot up and tell you that there are no maps.

If it does not, first thing to try would be a new SD card. As your Tomtom probably has an old bootloader, it should be a regular SD card of less than 2 GB.
    To use bigger SDHC cards, upgrade the bootloader to 5.5022, available for instance here
    Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/143529932/Bootloader_5.5022.rar
    Extract the file called system to the small SD card and restart the tomtom. Make sure the battery is fully charged before doing this.

After this procedure, you can read SDHC cards of 16 GB and larger, although 4 GB is sufficient for all maps.

If on the other hand your tomtom does boot up until the message that there are no maps, you continue with adding a map and then patching both navcore and map using ydGpatch or easyusetools.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to heijx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    TomTom Home 1.6 installs version of Navcore 6.520 and then it says there are no more updates for the device, anyways, it is still stuck on the TomTom splash screen even after I copied over the bootloader 5.5022 that you provided man. The card is the original tomtom card that came with the unit, will try with a different one just to make sure the card is not faulty. will update after doing it.

Thanks for your reply, hopefully something will come up and the Go500 will get past the splash screen. I really hope one of these days I get the message there are no maps since from then I know what to do.

Update: Tried using a different SD card (1GB this time) and everything stays the same, TomTom Home recognizes the device and tells me to install the OS 6.520 is the one it downloaded for some reason and a bunch of voices. I eject the device and nothing happens, I have to press the reset button on the bottom to try and restart it. Once I press the power button I hear the tomtom drums and the splash screen appears and does not get out of that.

Any new ideas are welcomed.

Thanks.
    Last edited by jarkita; 7th June 2010 at 23:47. Reason: posts merged

jarkita is offline Captain
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,920 Times in 63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xstater View Post
    TomTom Home 1.6 installs version of Navcore 6.520
    (...)
    Any new ideas are welcomed.
    Home update? Latest is 2.7.4.1962
    rgds jarkita
    TT Onev1, 9.430 by bmwdriver, 900.4602-> UK&RoI, Europe; 895.4438 -> PL.
    No support over PM - check Tomtom Tutorials Section and ask within forums.
    Biggest lie in the inernet: I searched but did not find.

Thanks

The problem is that with the latest version of TomTom Home that I had the device was not recognized, I read somewhere that I had to try with older versions so I did and that way it was recognized. I also have the latest version in my pc to work with my GO 630 Traffic.

heijx is offline Second Lieutenant
    Thanks

Ok, let's manually install the latest navcore for your Tomtom to get around this chicken-egg situation. Download from here:
    Code:
     http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_7.903.9183.go-go300-go500.cab
    Back up what you now have on your SD card.
    Delete all files and folders on the SD card except the map folder.
    Extract the contents of this cab to your SD card and restart your Go with it. Now try TTHome 2.7 with it and have it update secondary files like voices. If you still miss voices or other files, copy them back from your backup.
    You need to patch the navcore before using it with a downloaded map.

Thanks

Hi and thanks a lot for your help. Unfortunately there is no success, I have the impression that somehow or for some reason the device does not get to the point of trying to read the sd card. All it does is turns on, it plays the tomtom drums and the splash screen comes up and stays there forever. I am running out of hope on these old device to be honest.

If anybody has any more ideas they are more than welcomed.