GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE

Thread: TomTom XL S Live IQ Routes Edition - Latest Navcore DISASTER

Rob2160 is offline Private
    Thanks

TomTom XL S Live IQ Routes Edition - Latest Navcore DISASTER

Hi,

I am new to this forum and it seems like the only place I can find some help..

I have a TT XL S Live IQ Routes Edition.

I purchased it in the USA in Feb 2010 and updated to Navcore 8.562 the same day (when it connected for the first time in TT Home)

It worked flawlessly, I have since had one map update to Version 8.45,

It also worked flawlessly, fast searching, fast planning.. Though I live in Australia, I was able to use the live services through the emulator in TT Home, it gave me full access to the HD traffic and Google search, weather etc..

A few days ago TT Home prompted me to upgrade to Navcore 9.053,

This has caused me nothing but GRIEF!

Firstly the emulator now does not work at all.. It tells me that the combination of device and software is not yet supported (TT support have advised me that the emulator has not been released yet... Thats cool... I understand)

But here is the main problem..

9.053 has made my device Insanely SLOW..

EG, when doing a search for POIs and entering a city, it takes over 5 seconds for each button press to register...

IE, if I am searching for "Denver" I press D... wait 5 seconds for it to appear, then E, another 5 seconds... etc.

After typing in the complete word... it then takes up to TWO minutes for anything matching DENVER to appear..

On Navcore 8.562 the key presses registered as fast as I could type, and it would search immediately and intelligently, so that Denver (eg) would appear even before I finished typing the word.

(Hope I am explaing things in a way you can understand)

The difference between the two navcores is ridiculous.

Once the POI is located the planning takes forever..

More examples...

Under Navcore 8.562 planning from LAX to Las Vegas would take around 10 seconds.

Using Navcore 9.053 it takes over a minute

Once the preview screen appears, the map would draw fully in a few seconds under 8.562

Under 9.053 it again takes almost a minute just to draw the preview map.

It is even worse when just planning within LA..

Drawing the previerw map in 9.053 takes several minutes.. and seems to draw one tiny section at a time..

I have tried wiping EVERYTHING on the unit and doing a clean install..

I have restored it back to the original config (I backed it up the day I bought it.. ) and it works perfectly and very fast again.

The when 9.053 is installed it slows down every time...

I would be happy to stick with 8.562 but that will not allow me to load the latest map.. 8.50 version...

ANY ADVICE appreicated..

Two main questions...

1.. Is there a way to load the 8.50 maps with navcore 8.562?

2.. Is it likely that one of the SE navcores will solve this problem

Has anyone else experienced this?

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to provide as much detail as possible..

Thanks in advance for any replies...

sunnybor is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

Re: TomTom XL S Live IQ Routes Edition - Latest Navcore DISASTER

Try SE Navcore 9.101.516023

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sunnybor View Post
    Try SE Navcore 9.101.516023
    Will this give me the Live Services?

heijx is offline Second Lieutenant
    Thanks

It looks like this Tomtom still is totally standard. I would not try SE navcores when it is legit. Instead I would get the original navcore back.

First step: BACKUP!!! Make a full backup of the contents of your Tomtom using Windows Explorer: Connect your Tomtom to your PC, it will get a drive letter, copy everything from your Tomtom to a local disk on your PC or create a ZIP file there. This way, if something goes wrong, empty your Tomtom, put back the backup and you are back in business.

Next, download the 8.562 navcore from tomtom.com:
    Code:
     http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.562.xl2009_live_2048_tts.CAB-navcore-XL_LIVE.cab
    Now start deleting from your Tomtom the following:
    - all files in the main directory except the *.BMP files.
    - the directories art, bin, gns, helpme, licences, LoquendoTTS, script and Tomtom-Cfg.

Leave the map directory on your tomtom since it takes quite a while to copy that back from your backup.
    Extract the downloaded CAB file to your tomtom using either Windows explorer or a ZIP application like 7-zip. Make sure that it does extract 8 directories and a bunch of files to the Tomtom, so that it does not leave you with one superdirectory \8.562.xl2009_live_2048_tts.CAB-navcore-XL_LIVE

At this stage you are back at where you were before the upgrade to 9.053: The original 8.562 navcore from tomtom and your map. Reset your device (I think by pressing the on/off button for 15 seconds) and you're back in business.

You can keep using Tomtom home and even update your device (mapshare, voices, icons etc), just do not accept the update for "Tomtom Application" and she'll be apples.

Oh and if everything now works, make another BACKUP! (after which you can discard the 9.053 backup)

When you have this second backup, you can decide to start fiddling with SE navcores without fear of breaking your current setup, since you are but a restore operation away from getting it back.

Two main questions...

1.. Is there a way to load the 8.50 maps with navcore 8.562?

2.. Is it likely that one of the SE navcores will solve this problem
    1. Yes, you just need to patch the 8.562 navcore using ydGpatch or Easyusetools. Then you patch the 850 map, provided that there already is a meta available for the map you have in mind.
    2. It might solve the problem, but it could very well create others in return (Live services, Text to speech).
    Last edited by heijx; 8th June 2010 at 07:09.

Thanks

Thanks Heijx,

That was just the info I needed.. it is backed up now and operating under the old firmware... Unfortunately the 8.50 maps are not compatible...

I'll keep hassling tomtom to fix their slow 9.053 firmware..

Cheers

heijx is offline Second Lieutenant
    Thanks

Perhaps the 850 maps have wrong/fake metas?
    I will stick with the 845 map until I am sure that there is a meta for WCE 850.2800.

Thanks

Dear members / posters,

I've been a TomTom customer for over 5 years and never had any issues. However, that being said, about a month ago i decided to get an upgrade and bought myself an early father's present: XL 340 LIVE TTS IQ Route Edition w/ Lifetime Maps and Traffic.

It worked great for about a week, then i connected to TT HOME and that where it all began.....

1. My TRAFFIC is no longer works (whether it is LIVE or RDS-TMC). After it tries to connect for about 3-5 min i get yellow triangle with exclamation point on the traffic bar. When i connect the car charger to my TT, message pops up that RDS-TMC receiver connected, then it is disconnects and couple minutes later connects again.

2. The next turn instructions sign (that supposed to show up in the top right corner is no longer there), it only shows the street i am currently on.

3. In TT Home, when i try to "Operate Your TomTom", i get message that my navigation devise is not compatible.

4. And yes, to support rob2160's point, it is very slow.

I apologize for a long and wordy explanation, but this has been very frustrated three weeks. I spent hours on the phone with TT support and the only recommendation they can give me is to keep updating my TT as often as i can, they are working on the issue.

Unfortunately i didn't back up my original settings ( i was very excited when i got a new toy, so that completely escaped my mind)

Here is the current info on my TomTom XL LIVE IQ Route Edition:
    App: 9.053.520930.2, OS 515773
    Map: v850.2781
    My PC OS is: Windows 7
    So, my question(s) is(are):

1. Do instructions provided by user heijx apply to my TT unit?
    2. If so, i am not very PC savvy, could you please provide a bit more detailed backup and restore instructions.

Thank you very much,

Yuriy.