GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE

Thread: Several questions for New Purchaser of TomTom

cmarr is offline Corporal
    Thanks

Several questions for New Purchaser of TomTom

I just bought a XXL 550 I think it is.

I have several questions.

1. The online manual says to not charge it with a usb hub. But to always use the port right on the computer. I plan on taking it to overseas and not
    using it in a car and was planning on charging it just with a usb hub plugged into the wall. Does anyone know why they dont want you using a hub
    and if my method will work ??

2. Since the battery life is not that long eg I think about an hour or less on batterys, someone has suggested getting an external usb battery so that I
    can extend the life if I really need to in a pinch. Does any one have any experince with this type of set up.

3. Are there any power saving tips that you can give me to save power. I thought I could turn voice off
    particularly if IM just using it as a map or something with an itinerary. I wondered about turning brightness down. I also wondered if making it night
    mode would help, I dont know if the screen uses the same power if black or white. I just wondered if black was achieved by turning off the pixels thus
    saving power.

4. The instructions for tomtom were not the best in my opinion, but it looks like installing the home software is a bit of a key to understanding. So once I did this I installed or updated my 30 free update. The question is , Does it normally take 5 hours to update everything. It seems to have taken forever although worked.

5. And on the same vain, I did a backup cause they say you should. This took over an hour. Is that normal??

Thanks.
    Thanks.

macapaca is offline Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Re: Several questions for New Purchaser of TomTom

1. Some hubs cannot provide enough power to charge devices. There are lots of cheap USB mains plugin charges about.

2. I have a "just mobile" USB power pack to power my TT when I go walkabout - works great.

3. I tried that, but it didn't save much, but some night screens are more visible in outside light.

4. Looks like you updated when the servers were busy, its normally very quick.

5. Make sure you do a back up using explorerand save it on your PC, and not just TT Home. And yes it can take a while.
    TomTom Go730 + Bootloader 5.5229 + Navcore SE 9485 + Latest UK Map
    Garmin Zumo 660LM + Latest Firmware and Maps
    Windows Ultimate 7 64bit + OCZ-SSD + i7 2600K @ 4.6 GHz + 2GB Radeon HD 6970 + 8GB DDR3 1600MHz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macapaca View Post
    1. Some hubs cannot provide enough power to charge devices. There are lots of cheap USB mains plugin charges about.

2. I have a "just mobile" USB power pack to power my TT when I go walkabout - works great.

3. I tried that, but it didn't save much, but some night screens are more visible in outside light.

4. Looks like you updated when the servers were busy, its normally very quick.

5. Make sure you do a back up using explorerand save it on your PC, and not just TT Home. And yes it can take a while.
    thanks great help.

two questions regarding your answers.

2. Can you point me to what you are using ??

5. Not sure what you mean. I just use the home software and click on backup. What the other method?

thank.s

Thanks

2. search "just mobile USB power pack" in google, there are lots of links

5. plug your TT into your PC and connect, shut down TT Home when it opens and use windows explorer.
    locate your tomtom which will show as an external device and copy the entire contents into a new folder
    save it somewhere safe. If you have a problem and need it, just copy it back again, overwriting files.
    Windows Ultimate 7 64bit + OCZ-SSD + i7 2600K @ 4.6 GHz + 2GB Radeon HD 6970 + 8GB DDR3 1600MHz

Thanks

Thanks.

I didnt realize that you could get to it like a usb drive. I guess it figures.
    Thanks.

cleggy is offline Corporal
    Thanks

just buy a mains charger with a usb connection,no problem.if you want to use it abroad then just get the mains adaptor for that country.it works for me when i go abroad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cleggy View Post
    just buy a mains charger with a usb connection,no problem.if you want to use it abroad then just get the mains adaptor for that country.it works for me when i go abroad
    Cleggy, read question 1, how is cmarr going to use his TT when the battery runs out