GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE

Thread: XXL Drive not recognised by computer

rymacg is offline Corporal
    Thanks

XXL Drive not recognised by computer

Hope someone out there can help, after a recent navcore install my XXL has completely died.I have to hold on the power button for 30 seconds to start it up and when I connect to my computer the drive is not recognised . I have tried to power up after connecting to the computer but it still does not recognise the drive although it does show up as a drive but cannot be accessed. It also say's that the computer does not recognise the file system. I think something has gone wrong during the navcore installation and damaged the drive but I'm only guessing, does anyone know of a way to access the drive so it can be formatted and I can start again. I'm really stumped with this one so any suggestions would be welcome even if it means fitting a new drive if thats possible. rymacg

macapaca is offline Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Re: XXL Drive not recognised by computer

Did you change the bootloader, if so which number ?. The bootloader file is named "system".
    If you boot up after a navcore change and this file is included in it, it will rewrite the boot, but it could be the wrong one.
    TomTom Go730 + Bootloader 5.5229 + Navcore SE 9485 + Latest UK Map
    Garmin Zumo 660LM + Latest Firmware and Maps
    Windows Ultimate 7 64bit + OCZ-SSD + i7 2600K @ 4.6 GHz + 2GB Radeon HD 6970 + 8GB DDR3 1600MHz

Thanks

Thanks for the reply but it seems to be impossible to access the drive to change anything, if I could only gain access I would delete every thing and start again as everything is backed up but all I get is that Windows does not recognise the file system or that drive has been removed from this computer, but any suggestions as to how to access a drive which is possibly damaged would be welcome. Thanks again. rymacg

727oa is offline Staff Sergeant
    Thanks

Why don't you try another programme like "Active Partition Manager" which is free to see if you can see your drive and format it.

Thanks

Thanks for the tip , I tried that program and although it did not work it gave me food for thought, do you know of any other programs I could try to access the drive . rymacg

727oa is offline Staff Sergeant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rymacg View Post
    Thanks for the tip , I tried that program and although it did not work it gave me food for thought, do you know of any other programs I could try to access the drive . rymacg
    Try this one: it has a "Partition Recovery Wizard". Maybe you will get lucky.

Cheers.

macapaca is offline Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Do you know anyone running Linux, I have had a lot of success opening USB devices in Linux that would not in Windows.
    TomTom Go730 + Bootloader 5.5229 + Navcore SE 9485 + Latest UK Map
    Garmin Zumo 660LM + Latest Firmware and Maps
    Windows Ultimate 7 64bit + OCZ-SSD + i7 2600K @ 4.6 GHz + 2GB Radeon HD 6970 + 8GB DDR3 1600MHz

heijx is offline Second Lieutenant
    Thanks

There is the Knoppix live CD, a bootable Linux CD with USB support.