GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE

Thread: Have i ruined my TT? or why wont it start up?...please help!

princessFi is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

Have i ruined my TT? or why wont it start up?...please help!

Have my TT 2nd Ed about 4 years now and this is first time Ive tried to update it!..and if i get it working again itll be last time I try!!
    I installed the latest version of TT Home on my PC and I could not connect the device but it recognised the SD card when i connected it to PC.
    I then updated the device and was told to finish installation of updates to put card back into TT and wait for updates to complete..did this but the only thing I see now on screen is the image of the SD card coming out of TT and a big red X flashing over the SD card.
    I didnt do a backup beforehand...I read now on here that I should have but I didnt think valid TT updates would actually mess up my device
    Ive seen the tutorial thread on here saying to take backup of SD card (I did not do this through TT home cos it wouldnt connect but through windows by drag n drop) and delete the loose files. Ive done this but the TT Home will not recognise my SD card still and when Ive connected the TT to PC it no longer asks me do i want to connect to PC...so TT Home is not seieng the device or SD card so I cannot update or anything?
    I then tried to restore the files back onto the SD card but it wont copy over the ttsystem file and ._TomTom HOME Install.app as it says their corrupt

Any ideas on what to do now? Is this a common problem with upgrading from TTHome?

ChillyCat is offline Command Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Re: Have i ruined my TT? or why wont it start up?...please help!

1st: WIPE your internal memory. Then usb your TT and OK to connect and let
    TT auto re-install the latest navcore

2nd: get your new maps here.

you're done...that EZ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChillyCat View Post
    1st: WIPE your internal memory. Then usb your TT and OK to connect and let
    TT auto re-install the latest navcore
    thanks for the advice but how do i wipe the internal memory? and when i connect it to PC then do i leave the original SD card in it or is that of no use anymore?

macapaca is offline Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Connect your device to a PC, use windows "my computer" to find it.
    Right click on your device and select "format" now format it as "fat32"
    Start up TT Home and let it update the "Application"
    TomTom Go730 + Bootloader 5.5229 + Navcore SE 9485 + Latest UK Map
    Garmin Zumo 660LM + Latest Firmware and Maps
    Windows Ultimate 7 64bit + OCZ-SSD + i7 2600K @ 4.6 GHz + 2GB Radeon HD 6970 + 8GB DDR3 1600MHz

heijx is offline Second Lieutenant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macapaca View Post
    Right click on your device and select "format" now format it as "fat32"
    If this is the original SD card, it is most likely smaller than 2GB and it needs to be formatted as regular FAT (FAT16).
    Bigger cards need to be SDHC cards and are formatted as FAT32 but you also need a newer bootloader for that.

Thanks

ok been trying to get my TomTom back up and running...no luck so far!
    cant seem to download any maps from here
    but was also in touch with TomTom support and they suggected I also wipe the dwvice and re-install the latest app which is 6.560 for TomTom One. they also said to install any updates so It updated to 7.903. when i turn it on it just says "No Maps found" so when i re-install the maps I had originally (Western Europe 660.1256) Im still getting "Poor GPS Reception" when the device is started and it keeps rebooting itslef. Is this map compatible with the TomTom App?
    Also the bootloader is 5.3026

macapaca is offline Sergeant Major
    Thanks

I update several TT one's for friends, I run them on
    Bootloader 5.5012
    Navcore 8412.1236
    Latest map
    These have had no problems since I first did them nearly one year ago.

This is just a suggestion, others may have similar configurations that work just as good.
    As far as downloading goes, why not become a paid member and download from this site, its a lot easier.
    TomTom Go730 + Bootloader 5.5229 + Navcore SE 9485 + Latest UK Map
    Garmin Zumo 660LM + Latest Firmware and Maps
    Windows Ultimate 7 64bit + OCZ-SSD + i7 2600K @ 4.6 GHz + 2GB Radeon HD 6970 + 8GB DDR3 1600MHz

heijx is offline Second Lieutenant
    Thanks

Question: Before you reinstalled the map, did the 7,903 navcore reboot by itself or was it just sitting there saying no maps found? If it reboots because of the map, it is most likely because of a settings file. Look inside the map folder for any configuration file, like mapsettings.cfg. If there is no such file, look for other files with a date which is significantly newer than the rest of the map files. When you find any such file, rename it by adding an extra extension .bak to it and reboot the tomtom. If it does not reboot anymore, we have found the issue: A settings file which is not compatible with newer navcores.

Second issue: the new maps. I reckon you have a sub-1GB map now and also a small SD card. You can run a 2GB old SD card (not SDHC) on this bootloader, but 4 GB and bigger SDHC cards require you to update your bootloader:
    Download it from Tomtom.com so you can be sure of an untampered file:
    Code:
    http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.412.xl2009_live_2048.CAB-navcore-XL_LIVE.cab
    Extract the cab file from this download and use ONLY the file called system. Throw the rest away because it will not run on your device.
    Copy the file called system to your SD card and let it reboot. Make sure that the battery is fully charged before you do this. Once it has rebooted, it will show bootloader 5.5128 and it can read SDHC cards.
    The maps vs navcore charts give you an idea which maps you can download for the 7.9** navcore. There is also a scheme like this for the 845 maps from february in the maps subforum.

When you have downloaded a map, you need to patch it but you also need to patch your navcore. This you can do with the easyusetools or ydGpatch which are discussed in the Tutorials and the Tomtom open tools and tweaks subforum.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heijx View Post
    Question: Before you reinstalled the map, did the 7,903 navcore reboot by itself or was it just sitting there saying no maps found? If it reboots because of the map, it is most likely because of a settings file. Look inside the map folder for any configuration file, like mapsettings.cfg. If there is no such file, look for other files with a date which is significantly newer than the rest of the map files. When you find any such file, rename it by adding an extra extension .bak to it and reboot the tomtom. If it does not reboot anymore, we have found the issue: A settings file which is not compatible with newer navcores.
    the 7.903 navcore did not reboot itself, it was only after I put back on the original maps! you were right..there was the mapsettings.cfg file updated and all other files in there were dated 2006!! so I did as you said but I also removed the 7.903 and went back to TomTom App 6.5xx (cant remember exactly) and low and behold my maps came up! it also generated a new mapsetting.cfg file in the map folder btu the maps are working so I guess it not corrupt like the last one! I then put back on the 7.903 after this and its still working!
    thank you so much! 2 weeks of emails back and forth to TomTom support getting nowhere....i was ready to give up!