GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE

Thread: Does TomTom 7.9 for Win Mobile need a file deleted to rescan Voices Folder?

Thanks

Does TomTom 7.9 for Win Mobile need a file deleted to rescan Voices Folder?

I have a lot of voices loaded on my Phone but only some are showing up. The previous version of TomTom created a file once the voices folder was scanned - in order to add new voices, you needed to delete the file and then it would display the new voices.

For example, I have this pack - I have Vicki Archer, Smart Road and Buffy coming up tagged by TomTom as "Chinese"
    data58.chk - Vicki Archer 898FM - English (UK)
    data59.chk - Smart Road - English
    data60.chk - Sarah Michelle Gellar - English

I've also noticed that once it gets to the voice tagged as "Special 59" (in my case, Farmer Tom) it seems to skip the rest of the voices. Is there a limit of 60 custom voices perhaps?
    Resetting it would work, just wondering if anyone knows how to...

Thanks!
    Last edited by specul9; 20th June 2010 at 21:58. Reason: Limit of 60 voices?

Thanks

Re: Does TomTom 7.9 for Win Mobile need a file deleted to rescan Voices Folder?

You will need to open up the .vif file in notepad and edit its contents with the correct information. This link " " will explain how to edit this file. The site also contains many other usefull snippets of information.

As to the total number of voices that you can use, as far as I am aware some models can only read voice files with a two digit number and not three digits (e.g. dataxx.chk and not dataxxx.chk). On my TomTom (Navigator 7 for PPC) I am limited to a certain number of voices and "Special 59" as a maximum number of custom voices seems about right.

I don't know if newer models can have more than 59 custom voices installed, but I am sure that someone here will be able to add to this thread with the info.