NOTE: Thread is superseded by number 12936. GenDCT1.exe now also works on Tomtom devices!
When experimenting with maps and the PDA's I have, I found it pretty cumbersome and time consuming to generate the .DCT codes. So, I made a small program that makes it much easier to test maps on SD card (or any memory card) used in Navigator. It updates the .DCT files on your SD card quickly and conveniently! No hassle with searching for device codes or uploading files to the hard drive and copying them back to SD card again! And it does it fast..
- After downloading the .rar file, copy the files the files Gen.DCT1.exe, meta.txt and keygen2.exe to the root directory of the SD or other memory card of your PDA
This is how to use the program:
1. Put the SD card in a card reader that is connected to the PC
2. Copy required maps to the SD card, each in its own folder. Make sure there is an underscore symbol somewhere in the folder name.
3. Run Gen.DCT1.exe and wait until it is ready
4. Put the SD card back in the PDA
This is how it works:
- The file Gen.DCT1.exe reads the tomtom device code from "ttnavigator.bif".
- It makes a simple batch file called Gen.DCT.bat file that activates the keygen for all tomtom folders on the SD card with the device ID found in "ttnavigator.bif"
- Then the batch file is run and the correct .dct files are generated
- A folder with a map MUST contain an underscore. So, map \DE850 is NOT valid, map \DE_850 is ok.
- The program does NOT make backups of the old .dct files. If you need them, back them up first.
- If you wish to use an existing SD card (with maps) on another PDA, first run Tomtom with the SD card inserted in the new PDA. This will update the "ttnavigator.bif" file with the right device code. Then follow steps 1 through 4.
- The program is supposed to work also for patched PNAs, but this hasn't been tested yet. For that purpose the program reads "ttgo.bif" to get the device code.
- .DCT file for maps versions 7 and 8 will be updated. I tested some old v7 files and many 8.45 and 8.50 maps
- Other versions of keygen2.exe exist with more options, but some don't work with the generated Gen.DCT.bat!
- You should always use the latest meta.txt file. The version enclosed was actual March 20, 2010 but I omitted the city maps (7.15)
- Alternative use: run it from your hard disk! For instance you may have a folder named 'maps' and in that folder is your collection of maps/regions such as "Benelux_850.280", "Europe_850.2782" etc. You should first copy the 3 files to the folder 'maps', also copy your 'ttnavigator.bif' to this directory and run the Gen.DCT1.exe program from there. Later drag/copy the folder with the updated codes to your card or via ActveSync to the memory card in your PDA or phone. But then the program loses part of its ease-of-use...