GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE

Thread: TomTom GO 500 navcore vs map version

mastino is offline Private
    Thanks

TomTom GO 500 navcore vs map version

Hi,

I recently got hold of an unpatched TomTom Go 500.
    The navcore it says is 5.201
    I updated it through TomTom HOme, but it does not go any further than Navcore 6.520

All posts and matrixes I see here, are about maps 845 and higher.
    All the navcores for these maps start from 7.9xx and higher

I can find several navcores for TomTom One devices, but for the Go 500 series I can't seem to find any.
    I already tried navcore 8.562 (from a TomTom Go 300 thread), but can't seem to get any maps working with this navcore.
    With the devices original (patched by me) map it freezes every time using the 8.562 navcore.

Can someone help me out with a apropriate navcore and map-series for this device?

Thanx a 1.000.000

Brilin

heijx is offline Second Lieutenant
    Thanks

Re: TomTom GO 500 navcore vs map version

Original latest navcore is 7.903. TTHome updates in steps, so after 6.520 it should offer you 7.162 (or something) and finally the 7.903 version. You need to disconnect your tomtom from TTHome everytime.
    You can also download 7.903 yourself from tomtom and then extract it to your Go.
    Download is at
    Code:
    http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_7.903.9183.go-go300-go500.cab]
    extract to your Go and overwrite existing files (like ttsystem) for the update. When you have rebooted, you are running 7.903.

With 7.903 original you can buy maps from tomtom which are the basic maps without lane guidance or IQ routes info. You can also download these maps and patch them with Easyusetools or yDGPatchter. You also need to patch the Navcore. You can check the maps subforum for the 850 maps compatibility charts.
    If you do want more functionality you need navcore SE 8.2** or higher. Best SE version for the Go 500 would be 8.417 or 8.562 since it has limited memory of 32 MB.

Next problem might be that the map you want to use, will not fit on 2 GB. You can use bigger SDHC cards only after your bootloader is at least 5.012. You can download bootloaders from rapidshare and other sources, but I would download it from the source: In a cab from a newer Tomtom, for exemple the xl which comes with bootloader 5.5128:
    Code:
    ]http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.412.xl2009_live_2048.CAB-navcore-XL_LIVE.cab
    Be warned that this navcore will not work on your Tomtom since it is not an SE version and is locked to an XL version. You just use the "system" file from it, to update your bootloader. Place the file called system on your tomtom SD card and reboot it. Make sure that your battery is fully loaded and if possible keep your Tomtom on mains power too. It will update the bootloader to 5.5128 and after that you can remove the file system. (It has placed the bootloader in the flash eprom chip). With this bootloader you can read even 32 GB SDHC cards if you want to. Just copy the full contents of your old SD card to the new one.

Thanks

He guys,

Thanx for the quick reply.

On the device it says boot 5.50.
    Does this mean that the bootloader is more advanced than the one described by Heijx (after your bootloader is at least 5.012)?

Regards,

Mastino

Thanks

Guys,

I would like the mod's to put a lock on this, because the advise of Heijx & Yuriyggg worked like a charme, or ...... not if you would like to know my findings after I put everything to the test.

@ Yuriyggg:
    You were right, TT-Home stepped up the navcore in a couple of times. What I did not do at first was un plugging the device, and that was the trick needed to get things rolling.
    The device works with a small map of Greece at the moment (for testing only) because the original SD-card with 256 MB is still in it.
    I will try with a HCSD-card to get things going after buying such a card this week.

@ Heijx:
    I have downloaded both navcores and as soon as I have the HCSD-card I will put this to the test with the 850 map of Western Europe 850.2782, 2GB-850.2801 or 2GB-850.2820 first with the 7.903 and after that with the 8.417 or 8.562 navcores.

Again thanx a 1.000.000

Regards,

Mastino

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mastino View Post
    He guys,

Thanx for the quick reply.

On the device it says boot 5.50.
    Does this mean that the bootloader is more advanced than the one described by Heijx (after your bootloader is at least 5.012)?
    Let me correct a small but important mistake in my post: It is at least 5.5012 that reads SDHC cards. If your 5.50 is just 5.5000, it needs to be updated. Anyway, it is easily checked. When you get a screeen with an SD card with red bars through it, you need an update, otherwise you're fine.

Thanks

I dunno about this Heijx, because I have the SD card with red bars in my screen, but I am using a HCSD-card and it is working fine.

Mastino

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mastino View Post
    I dunno about this Heijx, because I have the SD card with red bars in my screen, but I am using a HCSD-card and it is working fine.

Mastino
    The SD non-HC card should be formatted as FAT (16bit) and not FAT32. Maybe that is the issue here?

Thanks

Hi,

Just returned from my holiday and the TomTom worked like a charm. No problems, what-so-ever.
    I have not looked at the way the HCSD-card is formatted, I just used it the way it came from the shop.
    At this stage I cannot verify it either, because I lent it to my sister for the next 3 weeks.

So again, thanx-a-1.000.000 to everybody

Mastino