GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE

Thread: TOMTOM GO 910 ! Red cross blinking!

elkodesigns is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

TOMTOM GO 910 ! Red cross blinking!

Hello,

I have a tomtom go 910 from a friend..
    and when i turn it on all i get is a blinking red cross, i tried to format it .. nothing..

he claims when he was driving it just stopped working, and the red cross came on...

any methods of sorting this out?

thanks..

macapaca is offline Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Re: TOMTOM GO 910 ! Red cross blinking!

Quote Originally Posted by elkodesigns View Post
    Hello,

I have a tomtom go 910 from a friend..
    and when i turn it on all i get is a blinking red cross, i tried to format it .. nothing..

he claims when he was driving it just stopped working, and the red cross came on...

any methods of sorting this out?

thanks..
    When you say " i tried to format it .. nothing. " do you mean the PC cannot find it ?
    What size internal memory does yours have, certain variations of a 910 have a large memory and are formatted as fat32
    but if its 2gb or less its fat16
    TomTom Go730 + Bootloader 5.5229 + Navcore SE 9485 + Latest UK Map
    Garmin Zumo 660LM + Latest Firmware and Maps
    Windows Ultimate 7 64bit + OCZ-SSD + i7 2600K @ 4.6 GHz + 2GB Radeon HD 6970 + 8GB DDR3 1600MHz

heijx is offline Second Lieutenant
    Thanks

There is but one variation of the Go 910, the one with the 20GB hard disk (a 1,8" ZIF-connector real hard disk with moving parts which can break).
    If it cannot be seen by any means (Connect the Tomtom to your computer and Windows Explorer should see the extra drive) consider it a goner.

The good news is, it can be replaced. Not by the same disk, since they are rare, expensive and vulnerable, but by a CompactFlash card and a ZIF to CF adapter:
    Code:
    http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/adzifcf.asp
    Add a CF card of preferably 133x speed or higher and you have a working disk again. Best part is: You now have a solidstate disk which consumes less, is faster and more durable.

Guide (French with pictures):
    Code:
    http://www.tomtomax.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?p=46463
    While you're at it, order a replacement battery as well. It will give your 910 a new lease of life. Some shops sell them with the Torx nr6 and 7 screwdrivers that you need for the job included.

elkodesigns is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

Thanks for the replys..

To clarify ..

When i connect the tomtom with the usb, on the tomtom it comes up with FORMATING, on the screen it self.

Now i am not sure if its the internal hdd fault or what.

Thanks

I ve the same case - actually the problem is that I cannot even format the HDD. I try with FAT32, NTFS and etc - nothing works. It starts formatting and after 2 or 3 hours it displays - the device could not be formatted? Any idea? Could it be due to a possible internal damage in the HDD? I even downloaded a special program for formatting "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - however, nothing works. I still think, if the HDD was damaged, it would not be found as a partition on my pc, or?

pollybell is offline Lance Corporal
    Thanks

I had the red X problem with a TT One at last week end. It wouldn't format in FAT 32 etc. Eventually I tried a format without the "Quick" option and this done the trick. Took quite a time but it is now working as it should. May not work for you but worth a try.