GPSUNDERGROUND FORUM IS ON SALE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a 2nd Hand _EMPTY_ 710 -- where do I start?

bubbs is offline Private
    Thanks

Bought a 2nd Hand _EMPTY_ 710 -- where do I start?

Hi folks, decided to buy a 4V00.710 from a mate who never got it to work properly (from new!) and stuck it in a draw for 3 years or so. His son stole the original SD card for his music player, so I have just the unit and desktop charger.

Very new to SatNav, although I did have TT3/5 years ago on an old XDA IIi.

Ok, so I would like to get it working, but when I boot it/switch on it just shows a screen with an SD card symbol with a big red X in it. Have a 256MB from my camera, formatted it and put it in, same screen. So I'm guessing there isn't anything on some form of ROM, although when I read some of the (many!) posts, a firmware version is referred to, but I have no idea how to find the necessary info...

... and that was before I started frying my brain with Navcores, activators and map versions.

Throwing myself upon your mercy -- could someone please tell me what it is I need to get this thing fired up?

Many Thanks...

ChillyCat is offline Command Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Re: Bought a 2nd Hand _EMPTY_ 710 -- where do I start?

You did'nt say.......

You did spend like 10-15-30 minutes in this section ?

Speed111 is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

First, you need to download a NavCore and paste the files to your SD card. I recommend a SE version which is already patched. Once you have the files on your SD card, boot up your TT. You should see a screen which says no maps found. This means you are on the right path After this, download maps and once again, copy them to your SD card, use alberts easy activator to patch/activate the maps and you are good to go.

But seriously, use a 2GB card or something. 256Mb wont get you anywhere.

Cheers.

bubbs is offline Private
    Thanks

@chillycat -- guessing you were being sarcastic, this isn't my first visit to the site, although I have only just registered. And in answer to your question, (sarcasm aside) I have spent some time here, I'm not dumb, just not technically minded.

and you obviously missed reading 'although when I read some of the (many!) posts', but don't worry, I'm over 70 too, that's what happens with age...

@speed111 -- thanks for your help, you suggest a NavCore SE that's already patched, why does it need patching? I've obviously misunderstood somewhere, I thought it was just the maps that needed 'help'.

Wonder if you might help me further by suggesting a suitable NavCore? I gather the differences are mostly features/age/fixes -- all I want is basic navigation, POI's and Speedcams. Would like reasonable graphics, but don't want/need fancy 3D buildings etc.

Appreciate you taking the time to help.

Speed111 is offline Sergeant
    Thanks

Navcore needs to be patched as well as its also protected, not just the maps.

See this, different NavCores operate different maps and features.

I would get this,

and also dont forget to download the ttsystem as well. you will need a ttsystem (patched) to get the maps running.

Fallowing the chart above, get the map version you need for your region here

Once you have all this on your SD card, Download this: Alberts Easy Activator from here

Once you activate the maps, you will be on your way. There is a guide in the last link that will explain how to use the activator. You should have no problems whats so ever.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Speed111; 24th July 2010 at 11:13.

bubbs is offline Private
    Thanks

Thanks Speed111 -- will get started a little later (I hate Saturday Shopping! ) and thanks for the explanations.

ChillyCat is offline Command Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubbs View Post
    and you obviously missed reading 'although when I read some of the (many!) posts', but don't worry, I'm over 70 too, that's what happens with age...

Whoaaaaa...... I'm creeping up on 60. [no where near 70]

In regards to my "sarcastic" comments. I truly believe [cause I looked] there is more than enough sufficient
    info posted in the tutorial section to get just about anyone going with your type of senario. I wasn't attempting
    to be a smart @ss. Just wishing more folks would do more reading. I firmly believe wev'e assembled enough
    reference material in that section to answer 90+% of any and every question asked here.

But what the heck...... what could I possibly know ?

bubbs is offline Private
    Thanks

Hello ChillyCat -- so that's not a self-portrait then?

I agree with you there is plenty of info on the site, but to my mind (befuddled though it is) there is _too much_ info and whilst people who play with this sort of stuff might know how to (mentally or otherwise) filter this info, knowing nothing about SatNav means I cannot, hence the 'where do I start' plea...
    There's no lack of research, I just find the whole thing complex.

The plethora of info for varying models, software versions, NavCores etc is way too much for a newbie -- to understand the principle/method a simple 'start with this, this and do this' for a particular unit might be helpful, once the process is learned moving onto other things or experimenting etc is the obvious stage. I do think there's an element of required pre-knowledge with a lot of the posts.

I appreciate that all of this work is done through goodwill, but a few stickies with 'baby steps' might assist those of us who do not have any previous knowledge or experience _and_ it may reduce the number of newbie posts.

No offence was taken or meant.

Speed111 put me on the right track and whilst my 1st attempt has failed, I now understand the process and can try again without bothering anyone.

Regards

combat goofwing is offline Corporal
    Thanks

why the sarcasm this forum is awfull for it, a simple read the tutorials would do for the guy

bubbs is offline Private
    Thanks

Thanks Speed111, after playing around, finally got the 710 working.

Tried the 9.101 NavCore (as you suggested) and UK maps 850.2820 and Albert's, unit would fire up and complain 'No Maps Found', tried a few different ones (maps), still no luck -- and as the forums are full of successful installs I guess it must have been me doing something wrong, or I was just not selecting the right map (NavCore seems to kick in fine)

Anyway -- using TT Home, set up the SD card using TT's own (7.903) and updated (think it's 7.914 now + map share), a friend gave me a copy of his UK maps (815.2024) Ran Albert's and it worked!

So tried it out yesterday, seems fine. Did a backup of the SD card last night using TT Home and PC File Explorer. This morning am just about to start exploring the 9.101 and different map versions again.

A big thank you for your kickstart....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast